ALERT - avoid Fidelity Van Lines and Golden Van Lines (CA)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Guest Lola

ALERT - avoid Fidelity Van Lines and Golden Van Lines (CA)

Postby Guest Lola » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:18 pm

I have quotes from both of these California companies... altho neither one came to the house. They are several hundred dollars apart. Can anyone here offer any insight or experience about either one?

Thanks for your help - this site is a huge resource for us novices!

farrah7031

Re: Fidelity Van Lines and Golden Van Lines

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:30 pm

Fidelity Van Lines only got their license on 1/5/07. DO NOT USE THEM.

Golden Van Lines got their license on 5/10/06.

Companies are required to do an in home estimate if they are located within 50 miles of you.

Is this for within California or to another state?

Guest Lola

Postby Guest Lola » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks for the response, Farrah. I'm moving from south LA to Seattle.
Fidelity just got their license, does that mean they are brand new, or perhaps are relicensing under a new name?

Guest Lola

Postby Guest Lola » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Forgot to mention that Golden gave me a "binding quote". What exactly does that mean?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:36 pm

Guest Lola wrote:Fidelity just got their license, does that mean they are brand new, or perhaps are relicensing under a new name?

It could mean either, but neither options are very good.

Did Golden tell you why they wouldn't come out to your house? It's against the law to give you a phone estimate unless you sign a waiver.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:59 pm

DO NOT USE either Fidelity or Golden. If cost is a concern, use a freight company--both Broadway Express and ABF have dozens of rave reviews on stickies at the top of the messageboard here. It's easy to hire loaders and unloaders by calling high-rated companies on www.eMove.com and you will have a safe, low-cost move.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:57 am

Ha! Fidelity Van Lines, owned by Doran Maya, has been in business all of a month and already has a D RATING at the BBB and one complaints. Wow, they just got RIGHT into their groove, huh? Think about the timeline, for a move to be booked then completed would take about 6 weeks, so this job was probably booked before the license was granted or just after, job done (guessing another couple weeks there), they got the complaint, thena greed to perform according to their contract (meaning the job wasn't even delivered yet!)

Along the same lines, Golden Van Lines has slipped to a CC rating at the BBB.

Give you a hint of what's to come?

Diane

Re: ALERT - avoid Fidelity Van Lines and Golden Van Lines (CA)

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 pm

I changed the topic title to an "ALERT - avoid" and added these two companies to the Avoid section of the CA Superlist. Thanks for the research, MM and Farrah.

Knupetion

Postby Knupetion » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:57 pm

BEWARE FIDELITY VAN LINES!!!

I am filing the following claim after several attempts to resolve this dispute with Fidelity Van Lines. When Fidelity Van Lines delivered my furniture and items on August 13th, 2007 several of my items were either damaged, destroyed, or STOLEN. The foreman whose name was Eddie acknowledged that these items were destroyed during the move and said that my television was still at the storage facility. The following is a specific list of damaged, destroyed and missing items:

• 50” Panasonic Plasma Television (STOLEN)
• Coffee Table
• Dresser
• Night Stand
• Mattress-King Size
• Bathroom Organizer

Specific Description of Items

1) MISSING-50” Panasonic Plasma Television-My television is missi9ng and was never delivered.
2) DESTROYED-Coffee Table-The Coffee table was so broken and destroyed that the movers didn’t even attempt to take it off the truck. I climbed in the truck and took pictures of the damaged piece of furniture
3) DESTROYED-Dresser-My light tan colored dresser was completely destroyed during the move.
4) DESTROYED-Night Stand-My dark tan colored night was severely damaged during the move. Several of the knobs were broken off and the legs were damaged.
5) DAMAGED-My King Size mattress was damaged and warped during the move due to movers stepping on the mattress. Due to this damage, I can no longer sleep on the bed. As you can see from the pictures, there are foot prints where the movers stepped on the bed and warped the mattress.
6) DAMAGED-Bathroom Organizer-My white bathroom organizer was severely damaged. The legs are missing and can not be repaired.

All of these items were listed as either “broken” or “missing” on the delivery invoice. Please feel free to contact me via my information below if you have any questions. I am trying to file a lawsuit. Please call me if you have any info.

AJ

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:20 pm

Knupetion, you may not have sufficient grounds for a full-blown lawsuit at this point. I have some questions....

1. What date did you file the claim in writing to the moving company?
2. What was the result of the claim? Accepted? Denied in whole or in part?
3. Did you sign for the $0.60/lb. valuation?

I'm not doubting what you're saying regarding what happened and I would file complaints with the FMCSA and the BBB at a minimum.

If the answer is YES to question 3, then you will only be limited to a recovery of that amount for your destroyed/missing items. If that is what they offered you, then I would suggest accepting it at this point. You will not be able to sue for additional amounts because moving companies are legally protected from additional liability by the Carmack Amendment, and scam moving companies know this. Please keep this in mind as you progress with your claim with the moving company...
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Return to “Open Community”