All American Moving/Storage - no BBB neg.'s in 18 months

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mstorey

All American Moving/Storage - no BBB neg.'s in 18 months

Postby mstorey » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:59 pm

I am looking for a mover from the NY area to CA, about 8000 lbs. Although this co. was blacklisted, they say they haven't had complaints in the last 18 months - true - i looked, and they do tons of moves. They were very convincing on the phone and said they will come look at stuff. But, they use cubic feet - is that the worng way to go?

Tyrone

Re: All American Moving/Storage - no BBB neg.'s in 18 months

Postby Tyrone » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:05 pm

My opninon, based on over 2 years of research, is that it is DEFINITELY the wrong way to go.

Their only real skill is gaining your confidence. Remember, that the word "con" in "con man" is short for "confidence". Meaning, the only way the scam will work is if they gain your confidence.

Do not fall victim to their convincing ways. The classic moving scam is dependent on slick salespeople who are instructed to promise whatever it takes for you to entrust them with all your worldly posessions. Then, once they have your stuff locked on their truck, all bets are off!

All American has had over 20 insurance policy cancellations. Plus they act as a broker even though they lost their federally required broker authority. They also do not have the required broker's bond on file. This sets you up for a horrible scenario where you "think" you are hiring All American, but on moving day (or delivery day) a completely different company shows up! You will have NO PROTECTION from any shenanigans that this "other" company pulls on you.

(In reality, the scam is frequently orchestrated between the original company you hired and the "other" company).
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:08 pm

All American is one to avoid. Not only are they missing the Bond insurance, as Tyrone mentioned, but they were fined $10,000 at one time for 5 offenses. See here.

It's not shown on the blacklist, but their DOT# is 585130, MC# 283939, in case you'd like to research on www.safersys.org for yourself.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:34 pm

There are four serious complaints about this company (the most recent being from June 2003, i.e. within the last 18 months) on www.consumeraffairs.com. See http://www.consumeraffairs.com/movers/a ... movers.htm

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:14 pm

I wasn't going to go here, but... there are 2 "All American"s. Each is worse than the other. Check the following links (in red):

In Florida: All American Employees Sentenced To Prison For Scamming Customers

And in New York, All American is the company that "took over" the address, phone #, website, etc., for Urban Moving Systems, aka Moving Systems, (the company whose employees were deported by the FBI in the immediate aftermath of September 11.
Washington Post Article
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:14 am

I wrote a letter to the NY BBB, just wondering about how a company that had complaints in every column more than 12 months ago now has not a single complaint. Perhaps the company turned over a new leaf, or maybe I'm too cynical, but it seemed a little fishy to me. I just asked them to look into it.

mstorey

Postby mstorey » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:33 pm

OK. Cancelled with them. Just to let you all know that with 15 movers, i had to cancel them all. I have no more time and have to rush and delay so am using Mayflower out of Middletown, NY. Wish me luck!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:26 pm

When you get the time, can you post a list of the other movers that contacted you? Did you find them on the internet?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:31 pm

It may seem like you are paying a "premium" to go with Mayflower on your move, however you might come out the same in the long run if they don't do a scam on you. If you want, you can post details of the estimate here and we can review to tell you if it is fair. Would need zip codes, weights, discounts, any valuation or extra services.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:34 pm

From what I've seen in my short time here, the larger amount quoted by the "majors" at the walk-throughs tend to be about the same or even less than the final amount demanded by scammers at delivery. It might seem like you're getting shafted by the known name, but in actuality, the move would cost you about the same either way, and with far fewer sleepless nights.

taniaml

Postby taniaml » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:58 pm

I CAN TELL YOU WHY THEY DON'T HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS AND IT'S NOT BECAUSE THEY'RE HONEST!!!!

They are a "BBB Member" which means that they pay the BBB to let them "resolve" disputes before anything goes on their record. So, basically they don't make any effort to offer any customer service until you've filed with the BBB. Then someone from the BBB sends you a letter telling you to call the customer service and tell them that the BBB told you to call. I got no response, so I called the BBB representative. He basically tried to convince me to settle for nothing, saying that "you never know what will happen when you go to arbitration." At this point I told him I didn't want any kind of settlement that didn't involve a mark on their record. Only at that point did I recieve my FIRST call from All American. But I still haven't received any offer for compensation equal to what I feel they fraudulently charged, not to mention compensation for a whole host of lies, deceit and broken promises. I have boxes that belong to someone else. It has been five months and they have made no effort to retrieve them.

So... bottom line, don't trust BBB records. They're paid to be on their side, not ours, and someone has to be absolutely obsessed to get to the point where they actually have a complaint filed on record.

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:01 pm

Now there's a whole nother thread that could be started here . . . . . .

"My Scam Mover delivered stuff that doesn't belong to me, is it yours?"

Not making light of your situation - that's actually a semi-serious suggestion as it's something I've read more than once on this board, that folks get things delivered to them that doesn't belong to them.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:17 pm

Yes in fact, I think I'll start that thread! In the meantime, if anyone knows a Torrance Hernandez that used All American moving and storage and lost a few boxes, have him contact me! writet77-aps@yahoo.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:23 pm

taniaml wrote:I CAN TELL YOU WHY THEY DON'T HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS AND IT'S NOT BECAUSE THEY'RE HONEST!!!!

They are a "BBB Member" which means that they pay the BBB to let them "resolve" disputes before anything goes on their record. So, basically they don't make any effort to offer any customer service until you've filed with the BBB. . . .

Bottom line, don't trust BBB records. They're paid to be on their members' side, not ours, and someone has to be absolutely obsessed to get to the point where they actually have a complaint filed on record.

Hear, Hear! This is a very important post.

Return to “Open Community”