Moving from Westlake Village, CA to NY, NY

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hbdumpling

Moving from Westlake Village, CA to NY, NY

Postby hbdumpling » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:01 pm

HELP!!! I have no idea how to plan my move!!! Here's why:
My husband and I just recently put up our place for sale in CA. We don't know exactly when is our moving day. We also, don't have a place to stay in NY. We are planning to either stay at a hotel or rent short-term until we purchase our new home which will take at least 4 to 6 months or longer (closing takes a while in NY)..this mean we will have to store all of our stuff for that length of time. Now...here are my questions:

1. If I don't exactly know when I will need my stuff or know where my destination is, does that mean i can't get a binding not to exceed or a fixed price quote?

2. Should I arrange two moves instead of one move, moving my stuff from my current home into a local storage facility, and the 2nd move having it move from the storage to whereever places I am going to be?

3. When should I start getting estimate? what do I tell these people? I don't know when I will move and I don't know where I will be???

any advises? :wink:

farrah7031

Re: Moving from Westlake Village, CA to NY, NY

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:10 pm

There are some logistical issues with this move. Here are the main ones I can see:

1. Major van lines (United, Allied, Mayflower, etc) will store your goods (called SIT or Storage in Transit) but will only do so for a limited amount of time (I believe it's 3 or 6 months).

2. If you store your goods in Mini Storage, the moving company will not pay for damages, because you can't prove when/how the damages happened.

The best option for you might be a ABF Relocube or two, depending on how much stuff you have. They will store the cubes for a monthly fee. www.upack.com

I'm sure others will come along to advise you as to the best way to handle this.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi - just to add a bit to what Farrah said:

You should really talk with a good full-service moving company in your area because they will be able to reassure you and answer your questions. The company WILL be able to store your things for a period longer than six months if necessary, although it's not called storage-in-transit at that point. If you're selling a home in CA and buying one in NYC you probably have nice things, so I would not advise moving into mini-storage where the facility might be of doubtful quality and valuation wouldn't cover you.

I would suggest looking at the list linked to below to find well-reviewed companies and then inviting two or three sales reps to your home to talk with you and give you an estimate. If you choose a good company, many of your concerns about GNTEs, etc. will not be so important any more because you will be dealing with trustworthy people. A couple of companies that I personally would recommend are Andy's Transfer in Glendale and Gemini in North Hollywood. They will be able to adapt to changes in your plans, so don't worry about that. In my opinion, you should talk to the reps as soon as possible even though they may not be able to give you a firm estimate until you know your actual moving date.

If you can avoid moving your things crosscountry at the height of the moving season (June through mid-September), do so, because the quality of your move is likely to be better.

Finally, if an employer of someone in your family has a special relationship with any particular moving company, it's usually a good idea to consider that company seriously, again because the quality of the move is likely to be better.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

hbdumpling

Postby hbdumpling » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks for the information. After reading the forum, I made some calls and Suddath LA or United van line came out early in the morning today to give me an estimate. The agent was on time, polite and professional. At times, he suggests ideas to lower my moving cost for certain big items. He estimated my overall load to be around 8900 lbs, which I think its on the high side. It will be interesting to see how the other two companies will est my load weights.
The SIT charges are not cheap. It cost about $1300 per month to store my 8900 lbs. Self storage in Manhattan cost about 350 per month for a 10x10x8 area. The good thing about the SIT is that they are willing to let me make one pick up from their facilities for free. It is still a lot of dough for 6 mths of storage tho...Than again...maybe its just all part of the move...and it buys me a peace of mind. argh... :roll:

Also, on my est. there are a bunch of other charges other than the packing and unpacking charges...things like origin fees, destination fees, fuel surchage, irr surcharge...are these common?

last but not least, my contract is a "not-to-exceed" est. however, he also mentioned that if my load does go below 8900 lbs, the company will apply a credit to my credit card. Are they for real? will they really give me back my money? How do I know what is the actual load weights?

Thanks you to all of you guys who contribute to this informative website.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:39 pm

That is a really high rate per month. I'd definitely get further bids.

For 8900 Lbs, the monthly storage should be closer to $500 to $600. Also, MANY companies in L.A. offer the first month free. So you can do better during this slow season.

The Moving Concierge

Postby The Moving Concierge » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:36 pm

That SIT could be in NY where the rates are higher AND the agent might not have a good relationship with the destination agent. If you'd prefer to have the goods stored closer to you, consider storing them in NJ. The SIT rates there seem to be more reasonable than in the city. The typical discount off of the full 400N SIT rate should be around 40 to 45%. Ask your sales rep what's the discount and where is it being stored.

Consider doing SIT here in LA. You will probably have a better deal AND you will get a free week of storage by coincidence as the standard transit time for 9000 lb. or so is about 7-10 days.

All of the charges you mentioned are standard. I usually just bottom line the price so as to not confuse the normal customer. It's not like they are variable.

Good luck!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:27 pm

And 8900 lbs will probably not fit in a 10x10x8, thats only 800 cubic feet, and 8900 lbs is usually around 1300 cubic feet. If it was a lot of books and very dense stuff, and you have a tru pro packing the locker, it could come close, but it would be so full the doors might not close. And then you have to hire a mover to delivery it someday, and the van line will deny any claim unless you file it when the shipment arrives at the storage bin, not after it goes to the new home. That includes contents of boxes that you cannot unpack at the time. And if you cover it with valuation while its moved, and don't cover it when the local company delivers it, then what?

Bottom line, unless you are a gambler, hire a real mover, get their best price, and let them do the work and be responsible for the cost, and protection of the cargo.

happymover

Postby happymover » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:25 am

I had a great experience moving from LA to NY with NMS. Very nice. I'd try them. They are at http://www.nmsmoving.com/.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:46 pm

just to clarify a point...your sit rate might be 1300.00 the 1st month but after that should be 400.00 or so...the 1st month charges include the valuation and the delivery out to your new residence....its still expensive but not as much as you are thinking....

hbdumpling

Postby hbdumpling » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:17 pm

I made a mistake reading the contract. The agent from Suddath LA actually gave me a discount and it didn't get reflected until the last line of the contract...so all these times, i was reading the actual pre-discount cost.

I also got three more estimates from three different agents: Hilford w/ Allied, Conejo w/ United and Andy's storage w/ NorthAmerican. I am planning to either go with Conejo, or Suddath LA which both are United Vanline. All of the lbs estimate are very similars. However, I feel that the agents from both conejo and suddath have more experience in moves to NYC. NY metro area does not allow 18 wheelers, therefore, a shuttle service is required. As a result of this law, my moving expense just went up an additional $2700+ which is not subject to discount.
Hilford didn't mention anything about a shuttle transfer required by NYS law for NY metro area. Altho, the representative who came to my house was professional, and friendly. The fact that the contract is non-bound and there was no disclosure on the shuttle service. I decide to not use Hilford.
I can't say anything bad about Andy's storage, the agent was prompt, and professional. I don't have anything excellent to say about them either. I think they are fair. Since I haven't used their service before and I did utilized United vanline when I moved out from NY to CA... i feel more comfortable with United.
I am going to call the two agent back for few more questions and options before selecting the final mover. Will keep everyone posted.

Return to “Open Community”