Hawaii to New Zealand

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
jkknz

Hawaii to New Zealand

Postby jkknz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:50 pm

Hello all. I appreciate all the advice on this site. Based on reading many posts, I obtained quotes from Stevens and Southern Winds for 500 cubic feet and 2500 lbs in lift vans from Hawaii to NZ, via Los Angeles. The quotes, non-binding of course, came in similarly around $7K. The differences between the companies seem to be this:
-Stevens requires 60% deposit before load day; SW requires no payment until after loading (actually you have one week after).
-SW did not provide a "formal" quote document, only a "formalized" email. Stevens emailed me a PDF version of a paper quote.

Both Jill Lickey (Stevens) and Donovan (SW) have been very helpful, so I am having a difficult time deciding. SW seems a little less professional, but they have received pretty good reviews. Stevens seems professional, but a little less personable. Any input from you all out there would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Jason
Moving Sucks!

jkknz

Re: Hawaii to New Zealand

Postby jkknz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:33 pm

Is the 60% deposit request from Stevens the norm for an International move??
Moving Sucks!

intlmover

Postby intlmover » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:10 am

Deposits are NEVER the norm and just lock you in to using that company.
intlmover
[
quote="jkknz"]Is the 60% deposit request from Stevens the norm for an International move??[/quote]

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30 am

You should call Stevens and advise them that you are considering using their services however the deposit is an issue for you to book your move with them. They maybe willing to waive or deduce the deposit requirement.

In my own personal opinion you should never have to pay a deposit. The mover is not paying a deposit to anyone so why should they demand one from you? Again just my thought.

jkknz

Postby jkknz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Stevens replied this morning saying that the deposits were just started this year due to too many write-offs from cancellations. If you cancel, you get your deposit back minus $75. Still, 60% is a big chuck o money.
Moving Sucks!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:25 pm

I'd probably go with Southern Winds in this case. Thanks for letting us know about the deposit now being required with Stevens. We'll have to call and find out the details.

intlmover

Postby intlmover » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:11 pm

Boy thats probably one of the lamest excuse I have heard in a long time.
What write offs??? whats that have to do with your move? If they cant close on the business they have to charge the next client a holding fee to book the move. Not the right way to do business
intlmover

jkknz wrote:Stevens replied this morning saying that the deposits were just started this year due to too many write-offs from cancellations. If you cancel, you get your deposit back minus $75. Still, 60% is a big chuck o money.

jkknz

Postby jkknz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:35 pm

In speaking with Stevens today, they said you can pay the deposit as late as the day before the pack/load date, so I suppose that alleviates some of my concern. I would be more concerned if they weren't recommended here, and I can't imagine them running off with my deposit and leaving me high and dry.
Moving Sucks!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:15 pm

No, they definitely won't be running off with your deposit, but it's still kind of odd.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Odd that they are having lots of cancellations which they have write off for? Not sure how you have write offs if someone cancels their move on you?

I guess on occasion you might pull a container out and client cancels and your stuck with the container drayage! They should only be asking a client to prepay the portion of the move they would have to outlay money on.

Say "I can book your container but we need a deposit to cover the cost for pulling your container"

Sorry but 60 % of the moving costs in advance, even the day before, seems a little over the top to me.

jkknz

Postby jkknz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:55 pm

Hi Again. Wanted to update the list with what happened. Soon after complaining to Stevens about the deposit, I received an email that they had changed their policy to 10%.

I went with them, and everything went according to plan until it cleared NZ customs. Stevens used The Moving Company in New Zealand to handle customs clearance and trucking to my address. The Moving Company was not good about returning calls, and was less than courteous on the phone. Then, they finally returned my call about a delivery date and stated "Tuesday, the..." On Monday at 10AM I got a call from a truckie that he would be at my house by 11AM...ahhhhh. Ran home to meet ONE delivery guy who was not informed that it was an unload/unpack/remove service. The delivery company was a sub to The Moving Company.

After hassling with TMC, it appears that I'll get $250 back for having to unpack myself. Stevens, and Jill Lickey specifically, were very courteous and helpful throughout, although subcontractors left something to be desired. I would use Stevens again, although I would ask for different subs.
Moving Sucks!

Krista9

Postby Krista9 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06 pm

Hello everyone I just moved my sister from Chicago to Paris for grad school and we used National Van Lines or National Forwarding and they were great, they are located in Chicago I think they have offices all over the states. I spoke with Petra and Kristin and they were a big help there number is 800-323-1963. Hope your move goes well. Also they did not charge my credit card till after the picked up the shipment and got finally charges from everyone.
Krista

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:51 am

What was the name of the local Chicago agent?

Krista9

Postby Krista9 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:01 pm

We used Shur Way in Libertyville.
Krista

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:48 pm

They don't seem to be affiliated with National Vanlines anywhere on their website:

http://www.shurwaymovers.com
Shur-Way Moving & Cartage Co.
1943 Industrial Drive
Libertyville, IL 60048

They list their DOT# as 18024 on their other website:
http://www.imawa.com/shurwaymoving.htm

But when you look them up in Safersys, there is no DOT# of 18024. Shur-Way's DOT# is 172887, been licensed for interstate moving since 1982.

Return to “International Moves”