LA to NY great experience with NMS

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
happymover

LA to NY great experience with NMS

Postby happymover » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:21 am

I just moved from Los angeles to New York with NMS (thanks to a positive post on movingscam.com). It was a fantastic experience. I used NMS in Oxnard. John was straightforward, clear and nice. NMS uses their own drivers (Atlas agent) to go cross-country. Steve, the driver was very nice, gave me his cell phone number and told me to call whenever I wanted. My stuff was treated with care and it was nice to see it exactly as it was loaded in the truck at the other end. In other words, it was not moved or touched from the time I saw it loaded to the time I saw it unloaded. Never did a sketchy feeling come from them. Believe me, I was looking for sketchiness. Price was straightforward. They made an accurate estimate. Weighed the truck without my stuff, then with my stuff. Gave me a copy of the weighing bill. I paid the exact amount listed on the bill after the weighing (no surprise charges). Everyone in the office was nice and helpful. I can't say enough good things about NMS. Simply great. Highly recommended. They are at http://www.nmsmoving.com/.

farrah7031

Re: *LA to NY great experience with NMS

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:23 am

That's wonderful! Thanks for coming back to report.

Diane

Re: LA to NY great experience with NMS

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks - I added this review to my Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

The Moving Concierge

Postby The Moving Concierge » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:20 am

I know NMS. They are good guys. I worked with them breifly when they were still in Northridge (hence the N). Glad you had a good move.
Free, honest advice from a retired moving broker: http://twitter.com/movingconcierge

movenjtocali

Postby movenjtocali » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi,

I called NMS today for my move from NJ to LA. I also mentioned to them I had called University Van line. But the person at NMS said, since both UVL and NMS are part of Atlas, it will be UVL doing the estimate and at the destination (LA), NMS may help UVL with the delivery.

Any comments pr suggestions on these? So, if I call one agent (and say I didn't like them), I can't contact another agent for the same big company (say Mayflower or Allied)?

Thanks

The Moving Concierge

Postby The Moving Concierge » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:18 am

If there is another Atlas agent in town, you could call them to do an estimate. If there is not another Atlas agent in town, then you will probably be out of luck.

But here's the thing. Your origin agent is who you should be cheifly concerned about. Forget about the agent who may or may not send out a few helpers at destination. Heck, if you went with University, the driver may travel with their own help and not need anything from NMS at all.

To summarize, NMS should not influence your move because their part in it would be moot.

Call three major van lines. Be careful not to get two that are owned by the same conglomerate. United and Mayflower (more?) are owned by Unigroup. Allied, North American, and Global are owned by Sirva.

Get an Allied, United, and maybe a Bekins or Wheaton, or Stevens to give you a bid.

Good luck.
Free, honest advice from a retired moving broker: http://twitter.com/movingconcierge

Return to “Open Community”