Brooklyn to Kansas City, MO

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kirby

Brooklyn to Kansas City, MO

Postby kirby » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:38 pm

I'm looking to move a large one-bedroom worth of stuff from Brooklyn to Kansas City (I'm guessing between 10 and 15 linear feet, since I think that we moved with a 17-foot Budget truck and had room left over). We had planned on using a full-service mover, but I am getting more and more frightened looking at the postings on this site. Plus I am starting to think that our budget ($2000-$3000) won't stretch that far.

I called some of the top-rated moving services reviewed in the "Brooklyn" section here, and two of them (Big Apple and All Star) said that they weren't going in that direction and/or couldn't move that far. I left a message with Dahill, but I know from reading posts here that they don't self-haul that far either.

My questions:
Am I dreaming to think that I can spend that much for a reliable full-service mover?
And if you pack, we haul is our best option, we live on a street where it is impossible to leave a trailer overnight. Is this a problem? Could we still use BE or ABF?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

MusicMom

Re: Brooklyn to Kansas City, MO

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm going to venture a guess that you won't use up quite as many linear feet as you think. For one thing, I took 8 linear feet when I moved last summer with BE, and I have a two-bedroom house. Go to http://broadwayexpress.net/household.html and fill out some info, and you'll get a better guess.

Like I said, I used BE and loved it. Diane's used ABF, and can speak from experience. The tradeoffs with BE and ABF are that BE is more expensive but uses air ride trailers (less jouncing) while ABF uses spring ride trailers and costs less.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:51 pm

Did you try Moovers or Delancey Street?

I would at least call one of the national moving companies based in your area (United, North American, Mayflower, Allied, Atlas) and have them come and do an in home estimate. That's the only way you'll really know what their rates are.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:08 pm

kirby,

If you have 10 linear feet that is about 4500-5000 pounds, which is in the ballpark for a large 1BR apartment. You may be able to find a full-service mover to haul this amount of goods from NYC to Kansas City for around $3000. I agree with Farrah - call Moovers or Delancey-NY.

You can also use either BE or ABF in Brooklyn. However, there are restrictions on loading ReloCubes in NYC. See the last page of the ABF reviews (top post on the last page) for details.

kirby

Postby kirby » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:31 pm

I've gotten a few estimates in the last week. BE quoted us $1979 for 10 feet (their minimum from NY). We would definitely hire people on either end to help load/unload, which I think would cost us at least $600. The woman on the phone was very nice and provided me with a lot of information. I am a little worried about the size of the trucks that they use (53 feet trailers), since they are technically illegal in NYC, but the estimator from Dahill said that they are used in Brooklyn without a problem.

Dahill gave us a binding (not GNTE - they said that they didn't do those) estimate of 4650 pounds for $3298.30. The estimator was very thorough, according to my husband (I wasn't here) and offered a lot of information, including the Rights and Responsibility brochure. They would not self-haul our move, but would contract it out to Mayflower.

Moovers quoted us $2,881.23 initially (based on an estimated weight of 3,500), and then upped it to $3640.75 and 4,725 pounds based on our self-inventory. I feel a little bit better about that quote after getting the in-home estimate, since the weights are so similar.

I scheduled another in-home estimate this Friday with Delancey-NY, so we'll see what they say...

kirby

Postby kirby » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:17 am

Our quote from Delancey Street (after an in-house estimate) was very similar to Dahill, at $2,900 plus insurance (which would range from $264 to $122 based on the deductible). This is a binding quote. However, the weight estimate is considerably lower than Dahill at 3,500 (Dahill's was 4,650). Dahill's estimator was more thorough than the Delancey Street guys, so I suspect that his weight estimate is closer to accurate, but does that matter, given that they are both binding estimates?

I think that we are going to go with one of these two, since they have both done in-house estimates and assured us that a shuttle will be unnecessary for our street (Moovers, since they cannot see our street in advance, can't guarantee that). I thought that Dahill was more professional and thorough, in terms of the estimate and providing us with information. On the other hand, with Delancey, they would be handling our move from start to finish, unlike Dahill, which contracts to Mayflower for the hauling (as a side note, I found a couple of reviews of the Mayflower agent in Kansas City who would be unloading, and they seem to be well regarded).

Thoughts? Advice?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:49 am

kirby,

The difference in weights doesn't matter since both are Binding estimates. Delancey may be estimating the weight lower in order to get the move.

I think you would be fine with either company, but as you say, it is appealing to have your things delivered by the same truck and driver that pick them up. That sometimes translates into faster transit time. I'm not surprised that an estimator from Dahill would impress you more than one from Delancey, many of whom are much less experienced and certainly less polished. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Delancey will give you a less good move than Dahill. Whatever you decide, please come back to report so we can build up our database.

Who is the well-regarded Mayflower agent in Kansas City, out of curiosity?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

kirby

Re: *Brooklyn to Kansas City, MO

Postby kirby » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:39 am

The Kansas City Mayflower agent is Select Van and Storage.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:51 am

" contracting it out to Mayflower" does not mean it will not be on the same truck and driver all the way, don't let that little bug get in your ear. For that matter, Mayflower has 4,000 truck on the road, so if something should happen to the truck that is orginally assigned, their chances of finding another truck quickly should be easier than a company with very few trucks. Keep that in mind too. Anything can happen, no matter who you select. The truck could hit a low bridge a block from your home on the day of loading, and then another truck has to be arranged, so plan B kicks in sometimes, make sure your mover has enough trucks to allow for plan B.

kirby

Postby kirby » Wed May 28, 2008 5:02 pm

This is much after the fact, but I wanted to write back to report that we did use Dahill and were happy with the experience. We paid them the estimate of $3298, nothing broke or was missing in transit, and the driver was very nice and helpful (he gave us his cell phone number and checked in several times). I don't remember his name, unfortunately. The delivery was made on the early side of the timeframe that we had discussed.

Return to “Open Community”