Pick-up completed... one question

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
allen074

Pick-up completed... one question

Postby allen074 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Ok - movers came today (suddath) - took about an hour for them to inventory everything after a mini argument about their truck fitting in my apt complex.

Things appeared to go fine - though they destroyed my computer desk. He said that he put it on a handtruck with boxes on top of it and down the stairs, it fell apart. He said he would take care of it on the dropoff.

Otherwise, I am out of the apt and on my way to nyc!

I gave them a $60 tip - which I thought was enough. Now what happens to my desk :(

I also really hope my lcd monitor makes it ok.

Diane

Re: Pick-up completed... one question

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:36 pm

The driver may try to glue the computer desk together prior to delivery. Just a head's up. We've learned over the years that most van line drivers carry Krazy Glue and touch up crayons in a variety of colors.

Seriously, if your desk was pressed wood (fiberboard), it may not be covered for damage under the major carriers' guidelines.

allen074

Postby allen074 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:47 pm

Thanks Diane -- yes, it was pressed board. He "removed" it from the inventory. It can't be put back together - I saw about 100 pieces of board on the ground.

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:02 pm

Any mover that uses a 2 wheeler on the stairs anywhere is a lazy bum. There is no gaurantee with rta stuff but to dolly it down the stairs is well just plain stupid. imagine being the boxes bouncing hard off of every step whoops! Thats all just a plain bummer....

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:52 pm

I had a similar problem with a desk. We loaded it onto a trailor pulled by a pickup. We went over a bump and BOOM! It was in about 25 pieces. It was hilarious - I'm glad it didn't hit anyone on the sidewalks! Scared the crap out of the people BBQing in their yard!

allen074

Postby allen074 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:42 am

the only things i am worried about with the bouncing is my lcd monitor and my computer - im betting the lcd is toast. :(

Auri

Postby Auri » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:23 am

Monitors are generally more durable than we think. I dropped my monitor down a flight of stairs once when I was moving. Plugged it in later and the thing was actually ok. Shocking, I know.
Industry Professional in Chicago

Michael

Re: *Pick-up completed... one question

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:37 pm

My suggestion would be to get a picture of a similar desk from Target or whereve you bought it with a price and show that to the drive as compensation since he said he would take care of it. Now although it was particle or press wood, he might go 50/50, he might pay it all or he might change his mind and make you file a claim. If you file a claim, chances are it will be denied. Your one fight is how it was handled and moved down the stairs.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Re: *Pick-up completed... one question

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:42 pm

Just a note that the Original Poster just posted on another thread that Suddath agreed to pay for the entire desk - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13526

allen074

Postby allen074 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:52 am

Thanks Diane... here is the full update.

Items were transferred to another truck in long island. driver called to let me know and asked about the desk. I said let's wait to see how everything else comes in.

New driver shows up, asks me about the desk because the driver said something. I explained what happened. New driver called into dispatch and then told me to make a claim.

Later that day, suddath called to check on everything via a voicemail. original driver left me 6 vm messages that day to call him asap.

i call original driver - he yells at me that he thought we had a deal, that i am going to get him in trouble, could cost him his job..... i said look, you could have put $100 in an envelope and given it to the new driver to give to me. i dont know you, how can i trust that you will send me the money. he said that he would fedex it. then i told him to stop yelling - he said fine put in the claim

i called suddath - coordinator knew nothing about the desk - i explained the situation - she called back 90 minutes later and said suddath would pay for the desk - a check is supposedly on the way.

original driver called back and apologized over and over.

so i guess case is closed once i receive the check

thanks for the help

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:45 am

Thanks for the additional detail. I'm really surprised that they would cover it since it was particleboard.

Return to “Open Community”