*Update on Estimates VA to NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cakedesigner59

*Update on Estimates VA to NC

Postby cakedesigner59 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:58 am

Hi all:
Wanted to update you on the estimates I received. Manassas Transfer (Stevens) was the first to come. Gave me a non-binding, and I wouldn't accept it. He left, then called back to say he would give us a NTE by Friday (which he did, more on that later). His first non-binding was for 5,000 lbs, and was $2,205

Because of advice I got on this message board, I called the other two companies I had scheduled for estimates, and gave them a heads-up that I would only accept a NTE estimate. Both said that is the only kind they give anyway.

Thursday I got two estimates: Ambassador (Allied) and Hilldrup (United). I liked both of these gentlemen very much. Ambassador said I had 4,000 lbs and quoted us (NTE) of 1,939.99.

Hilldrup said he estimated I had 4,235 lbs but he gave me two quotes: one for 5,000 lbs and one for 4,235. His explanation was that if I had under 5,000 lbs for their schedule, we would have to have our stuff delivered before we would be ready (it's complicated, but we want a pick up on 6/8 and delivery not before 6/13). If we had UNDER 5,000 lbs he said they are bound to deliver it between 2-6 days....my husband understood it, but I'm a little fuzzy on it. Anyway, he quoted me at 5,000 lbs and NTE of $2,018.00. The 4,235 quote is $1,795.00. He said if we are under 5,000 lbs (which we will be) we won't pay the $2,018.00, of course.

In yesterday's mail, we got Manassas Transfer's new estimate (NTE). It now had us at 6,000 lbs, and the quote was $2,495.98!

I really liked Hilldrup and I am going to book with them. Thanks MusicMom for the heads up on Manassas Transfer on Complaints.com . We're a little bewildered as to how they could be almost 1,000 lbs off (on the original non-binding estimate) and nearly 2,000 lbs off (on their second, NTE estimate) from the other two estimators.

Thanks so much for all your help! Wish us luck! :wink:

Diane

Re: Update on Estimates VA to NC

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:54 am

Good - keep us posted. I'm assuming that you're dealing with the Manassas office of Hilldrup and the Ashburn, VA, office of Ambassador Worldwide. If not, please let me know. It appears that Ambassador's website has changed to www.ambassadoronline.com and I want to correct the Superlist if that's so.

In looking at the Superlist, I saw that Manassas Transfer was described as primarily a military and commercial mover. Sometimes companies like that aren't really oriented to the household market and give high quotes either out of inexperience or because they're used to having customers pay whatever they ask.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

cakedesigner59

Re: *Update on Estimates VA to NC

Postby cakedesigner59 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:39 am

HI Diane:
Yes, it's the Ashburn office of Ambassador, but it's not the Manassas office for Hilldrup, but their corp office in Stafford.

thanks again!

Michael

Re: *Update on Estimates VA to NC

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:13 am

Its not that they were off 2000 pounds. It could be that his hands are tied and was told if you make it a not to exceed, then it has to be quoted at 6000 pounds. In any case, with a not to exceed (not a binding) you would have been charged for the actual (lesser weight) if under the 6000.

Hilldrup is a very very good agent.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”