A-1 Moving & Storage of Putnam - anyone have experience with Interstate

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NYtoTexas

A-1 Moving & Storage of Putnam - anyone have experience with Interstate

Postby NYtoTexas » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:03 pm

A-1 Moving & Storage of Putnam. Inc.
Agent for Wheaton Van Lines
NY DOT T9582 | MC# 87113
Physical Address
559 Route 6
Mahopac, NY 10541

Mailing Address
PO Box 75
Mahopac, NY 10541

Phone: 845.628.8644
Fax: 845.628.8955
Email: info@a-1moving.com

I have used the company above twice for local moves in Putnam County - once in 1998 and once in 2005. Each time they were the low bidder and were incredibly good. Gave me a binding estimate, showed up on time, moved my belongings with care and were really nice guys. The 2nd time they moved me the actual move was even slightly lower than the estimate. The head guy was funny and seemed to amazingly actually like his work.

I am moving from Cold Spring NY in Putnam County to Wimberley TX near Austin in late June. I am considering both a regular moving company and a firm like Broadway Express. Because our little village streets are very narrow and tricky, Broadway Express might be a problem, especially in late June when we are swamped with tourists here.

I could not find any reviews for interstate moving with this company and thought I would check on this site before I ask them for an estimate.

Any input would be appreciated.
Last edited by NYtoTexas on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Re: A-1 Moving & Storage of Putnam - anyone have experience with Inters

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:56 pm

You mean www.broadwayexpress.net ?

Either way, your stuff will probably go on a full-size trailer, so they will want to use a small box truck to shuttle your things to the big truck parked outside of town if they think that the big truck really can't get to you.

Call the town police and ask their opinions. They may have a suggestion, or may help you make sure there's parking space for them, or tell you the truck can't come into town and to use a shuttle.

If you use BE, you'll want to put the stuff on the shuttle before the BE truck arrives, so you and your loaders can meet it outside of town to make the transfer. If you use A-1, they'll do it for you.

I'm a happy customer of BE to move to Central NY, but if you've used these guys twice already to rave reviews and are willing to pay for it, go with what you know.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:03 pm

NYtoTexas,

Most likely, A-1 will not drive your things to Texas but will register your move with Wheaton and you will have a van line driver. People in the industry have said that it's better to use a larger van line for long interstate moves because with the smaller ones like Wheaton you may have a longer transit time for a number of reasons. Also, your things may be picked up by A-1 and taken to its warehouse to wait for the long-haul driver, and every time goods are transferred you increase the possibility of damage. These are issues that you might want to discuss with A-1.

Whatever you decide, I'll add your positive comments about A-1 to my Superlist linked to below. You might want to consult that list for other ideas about how to move to Texas.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1635#61635
I would suggest, for example, that you call Delancey Street Movers-NY (located in Brewster) for a quote because if they could move you, the truck and driver that pick up your goods would be the truck and driver that deliver them. This might or might not be the case with Wheaton. Multiple rave reviews and contact info for Delancey are on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

NYtoTexas

Postby NYtoTexas » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:29 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I meant Broadway Express. I had looked at their site once and received a ballpark estimate. I was mixing things up a bit in my mind. ;)

Now that I've looked around this site a bit , I'm also considering renting a 22' truck from Penske. With the good discounts they offer, it looks like we could do the move for under $3,000. We are not moving a ton of furniture - are throwing out most of the beds and a lot of the kids' worn out furniture - and we currently live in a 1200 sq ft house, with no garage. I think the movers will be out of our price range at any rate. I think the 22' truck would be adqequate - A-1 moved us with a 24' foot truck last time, and there was tons of spare room. We will have less furniture to move, but will have the contents of an 8' storage room, mostly boxes It's not just the street traffic that would be a problem for a tractor trailer, there is also a very tight turn down into our street.

Also, if we move ourselves, my son is a graduating HS senior with several large athletic-type friends who would be happy to tote boxes for $100 each. My husband is a catering chef, and is always quite particular about how he likes things packed, stacked and secured so I think it would work out ok. He also used to drive a large truck for a catering company years ago, and is very good at manueuvering them.

Biggest concern overall is moving 3 cats and 2 dogs with us, plus 2 of our 3 kids. It's going to be the drive from hell, that's for sure - did it cross country last summer with 2 kids and only 1 dog, and it was no picnic!

This time we stay put for 10 years. Thanks again, especially Diane. And I'm glad you're adding my good review for A-1. They were extremely nice from start to finish both times.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:30 am

Sounds like a plan.

Do you trust your oldest son to drive the family car with your other kids in it safely? None of Budget or Penske's trucks have extra seating, that I can find on the two websites. But maybe they do and just don't advertise it.

NYtoTexas

Postby NYtoTexas » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:53 am

No, my husband will drive the truck and I will drive the family van. Oldest son is staying behind in NY and working for the summer. He's going to keep our 2nd car with him. My husband will fly out in August and they'll drive to Tulane, drop son off and then he'll come out to Texas.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Sounds good.

For the cats, here's some tips (I turned it into a Sticky in the Helpful Moving Info forum)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2276
*I love the story about Mr. Goosey Goose*

Return to “Open Community”