Crown Worldwide Moving & Storage

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
roshan1

Crown Worldwide Moving & Storage

Postby roshan1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Does anyone have any solid information on this company? Are they any good? I read the notice board but not very detailed. I need to use them for my shipment to UK and am desperately looking for a good and reliable moving company

farrah7031

Re: Crown Worldwide Moving & Storage

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:02 pm

This is what we have on them. It's mostly for interstate moving:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7565#57565
--Crown Worldwide Moving & Storage (United) in San Leandro (also a branch in Ontario in Southern CA).
This was one of the companies recommended by the CMSA.
Crown Worldwide with website www.crownwms.com (sometimes called CMS) has 500 agents in the U.S. and people in the industry such as "BigLeeCalif" (worked for Chipman United) speak very highly of it.
"hardatwork" (international moving expert) posted that this company is excellent, saying that it "started out as Dean Worldwide here in the US many years ago, owned by a woman. Her brother owned Crown Pacific in Asia. A few years back brother bought out sister and as the Crown Pacific was well established throughout the world they changed the name to Crown. As they now own moving companies around the world they now call themselves Crown Worldwide.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 2333#62333
"goldmoon" posted that Crown in San Leandro was the only company that insisted (appropriately) on doing an in-home survey for his international move:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 2544#62544
However, "Tkeller" posted complaining about poor communication and apparent lack of concern on a small shipment to PA, although the United driver was good. Nothing was damaged but the shipment was delivered late after the driver was told to go to Boston first. According to "Tkeller" the United driver said that this was par for the course because "Crown does not treat small customers with the same respect as the larger ones. There was a "Boston" customer that sliped in in front of me that apparently was worth more than I was. He said he was jerked around as well and told to deliver to the "more important" customers first, even though this was miles out of his way.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9512 (interstate)
"shastasother" posted a bad report on a move to Phoenix, singling out Bob Morse (United driver), CeCe (move coordinator), and Cynthia Allen (CeCe's boss) for bad performance:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9974 (interstate)

We recommend the following companies for international shipping:
Southern Winds International
Contact Michael Gilbert
at 800-570-7715 or 760-940-1760
www.southernwindsinternational.com
1020 S. Santa Fe Ave. Suite #C
Vista, CA 92084 – U.S.A.

Sterling International
Contact Phil Aeschleman
at 800-989-2198
www.sterlinginternational.com

Stevens International
Contact Ms. Jill Lickey
at 800-316-1065 or 260-244-7004
www.stevensworldwide.com
155 Diplomat Drive, Suite D
Columbia City, IN 46725 - U.S.A.

Rainier Overseas Movers
Contact Doug Wiviott
at 800-426-9928 x220
www.rainieros.com

roshan1

Postby roshan1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:32 pm

Yes, I noticed that they are pretty good Interstate so am wondering if I should use them for International. Don't have much to go on. I know that they have a lot of certifications but have requested they send me some references to follow up with as well. My agent in UK suggested I call Crown so did. But still not sure.

I also looked up EUROUSA from this website and called Keith Geard - he sounds good and will get someone to come round to give me a quote. He first suggested a company called Movers Pakman whom I'd already requested a quote from. I found them inefficient from the appointment to follow up to quote to answering questions so told Keith to not send them as dissatisfied. So he is now looking for his contact in LA that also serves the SFO area. Lets see.

I notice a lot of good comments from "hardatwork" on EuroUSA so was encouraged and called Keith. Here's my situation. I already have most of the stuff packed bar 10 boxes. I am told that they will need to repack everything. When someone comes in to survey how do they figure out what materials will be required to re-pack, what's in the boxes etc? I have a detailed listing of the goods from previous move (done when moving to Atlanta - which never happened) but now since I've opened up the goods to use what I need the listing doesn't necessary match the old numbering of boxes. So am puzzled as to how this will work.

I am told by Keith that the surveyor will survey the size of the boxes to learn the cubic feet for the lift van spacing and he will base the quote on that. Once I send them the detailed listing matching the numbering having repacked the boxes the insurance details will take place and will work out the proper estimate from that. Does this sound right?

roshan1

Simpson's in UK

Postby roshan1 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:01 pm

What's the latest on this company? Does anyone know how good /bad this company is? I just got a quote from Southern WInds and they use Simpson's in UK as the agent. Want to know what I am/will be getting into if I do go ahead with this.

Patthekiwi

Postby Patthekiwi » Tue May 01, 2007 1:06 am

Hi - I used Crown to move from the states to NZ last year. I have a mixed review...
Evidently Crown sub-contracts a lot of its work. I moved in July '06. I shipped my stuff and Crown charged by the weigh of the shipment. My shipment was broken into between Ohio and Chicago. Although the break-in was reported to Crown, my shipment inventory wasn't checked and I was not notified until the shipment arrived in NZ about 6 weeks later - way too late to file any kind of meaningful police report. Over 1/3 of my shipment was stolen.

Where I feel Crown fell down on this job: 1) When Crown chose to charge me by the weight and then did not ship that weight and did not give me a discount or refund on my shipping, 2) When Crown knew that my container was broken into, knew that the contents had at least been rumaged through, and yet chose not to investgate, 3) When Crown chose not to tell me untill the shipment was received in New Zealand six weeks later, making it far to late for any police report of exact contents to make any sense at all, and 4) When Crown took until March to settle my claim, not offering to even pay interest (I contacted them bi-weekly from the beginning of December and literally got no replies most of the time).

I under-insured my shipment - my fault entirely. I strongly recommend that you make sure you have a complete - COMPLETE - inventory with values for each item and WHERE they are packed - I had packed some of my things and the packers re-packed them and although I had labelled each new box, I didn't keep a strict record of what was in them, just an overview. End result - I could not claim many things in the boxes as they weren't detailed on the packing sheets.

Now, I know this was an unusaly case - most of the time shipments are not broken into and things stolen - but how Crown handled it was disapointing to say the least. I told them I thought it was an ethical issue in that they charged me for a weight they did not ship, but they obviously saw it differently.

Good luck to all of you shipping - I would not ever want to do it again and would seriously consider selling all except the most precious of my things rather than shipping them again (not to worry - most of my precious things were in the stolen items anyway)!

farrah7031

Re: **Crown Worldwide Moving & Storage

Postby farrah7031 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:41 am

Were you ever able to submit a claim and get semi-reimbursed for your stolen goods?

roshan1

Re: **Crown Worldwide Moving & Storage

Postby roshan1 » Tue May 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Crown came and did a survey for me immediately - the guy John Falconi seemed very efficient - however inspite of them knowing I needed the quote by the end of last week so I could make my decision they still haven't quoted me so am dropping them entirely. John thought I could use my current packed boxes as they are leaving them open for inspection in case they needed to re-pack and listing of items. However the contact at Crown - Janet wanted to re-pack everything from scratch as they do not make money by using customer materials - having said all this still no quote. I followed up three times and was told they were really busy this time of the year. Based on this, Diane's note and first impressions have decided to dump them.

Patthekiwi

Postby Patthekiwi » Fri May 04, 2007 8:12 pm

Yes, I did get reimbursed, but it took over 6 months. It took 3 months to go through the negotiation with N.Z. Crown on what was taken and the value of these items and then after I had signed the settlement agreement and returned it, it took another 3 months - I called and emailed repeatedly, didn't get responses to my emails and was told after each phone call it would be a couple of days.

I had also asked U.S. Crown for a refund of 1/3 of my shipping costs because I was billed by weight and a third of my things were stolen. They knew they were stolen, had the opportunity to check the weight and revise my shipping fee and didn't. They said no. Again, their responses to my emails were incredibly slow.

At the same time, a co-worker used Crown to move from the UK to NZ and had such a bad experience that we are recommending to our company that Crown be dropped as our recommended mover.

Patthekiwi

Postby Patthekiwi » Fri May 04, 2007 8:16 pm

When you say Crown came out and surveyed your items immediately, was it really Crown or a sub-contractor? I had one sub-contractor survey and pack, another shipped it to Chicago, and then at least one other sub-contractor was involved somewhere. In the States, the only Crown employees I dealt with were the quoter, the guy responsible for my move and his vice president. When my stuff was stolen it was between subcontractors, so Crown basically said they couldn't do anything or consider a claim for shipping fees as they weren't involved.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Patthekiwi, I sent you a Private Message about this, but . . .

Regarding your posts about Crown Worldwide, I am wondering whether you could specify which Crown you used (location/phone number)? I re-posted your comments in our international movers review thread but wanted to be sure which company you were dealing with. Since you apparently moved from Ohio, I wasn't sure it was the company in CA.

Patthekiwi

Postby Patthekiwi » Sat May 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi Diana, I did respond, but here's the contacts for others to see:
I dealt with the Chicago office. They actually sub-contracted out each part of the trip.
The Crown people I dealt with were:
Ryan in Chicago was my primary contact...
Two Trans Am Plaza Drive
Suite 410
Oakbrook Terrace, Il 60181
Phone; 630-678-9015

For the claim I dealt with Rhys in Auckland...
Claims Officer
New Zealand Claims Centre
Crown Relocations
Ph: 09 415 7300

Both were very slow in responding to any emails I sent.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 05, 2007 11:02 pm

Thanks - the important thing for people to know is that this was the Crown with the website www.crownworldwide.com - they have several offices in the U.S.

Return to “International Moves”