NMS vs. Andy's Transfer

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
TrojanGrad

NMS vs. Andy's Transfer

Postby TrojanGrad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:04 am

Okay, I've done my homework and got 4 quotes. The two best reviewed companies were NMS/Atlas and Andy's Transfer & Storage (North American). Here is my delimma, they both gave very different quotes but in the end the dollars are virtually identical.

Here is what I have (after filtering through the smoke and mirrors):

Weight: NMS - 7,427 lbs ; Andys - 9,300 lbs
Transport Cost: NMS - $2,982 ; Andys - $2,995

Okay - 1,800 lbs difference comes to $13!! It looks like they just both bid $3k and then bumped it down a bit. If so, why did I have to waste 3 hours of my time with the NMS estimator (yes, literally 3-hours to get a quote -- like pulling teeth!)

Every other fee is almost the same when you factor in the discounts (62% for NMS, 68% for Andy's) but the end price is completely different. Totals come out to $11,745 for NMS and $8,107 for Andy's. I have to assume that NMS doesn't apply the discount to all the line items that Andy's does. NMS did not itemize their discount but rather puts it as a single line item whereas Andy's specifies exactly which line item gets discounted.

Finally, NMS spent a ton of time "reassuring" me that his estimates are always high, they do this all the time and there the most my move cost will go up is $100 or so. I asked for a NTE quote but it has the following clause (paraphrased):

"...this estimate is based on the articles and services listed. This quote is binding on Atlas, unless additional articles and/or services are added..."

In short, we don't guarantee our estimate or even that we input all the articles in you home into the inventory list. I am required to check both the weight and the itemized list for accuracy. Does this seem right?

Andy's on the other hand says a simple "The shipment will be weighed and the charges will be the lesser of the quote or the cost based on actual shipped weight." Am I missing the weasel clause somewhere else?

These are two of the more recommended services (at least that service my area - Northridge, CA). I'm not even mentioning the long list of bogus fees and charges plus the poor customer service and attitude I got from the NMS guys or the low-ball bids (I can move by the cubic foot for $3,000!)

Can anyone talk me down off the ledge and tell me one, am I overreacting, and two which of these providers is going to give me a dollar figure that I can count on. I need a solid number to get reimbursed by my company -- I will be negotiating to get them to chip-in for moving and I can't go back after the fact and say I need more money.

Thanks everyone,
Matt

ArchieWhite

Re: NMS vs. Andy's Transfer

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:15 am

Well, you can pick the one you liked best, since their quotes are identical, or you can call 2-3 more and start over, and hope not to get more confused in the process. Atlas and North American are both good companies, and on any given day, will give you a smooth, professional move and you will not get scammed. The govt has a lot of new laws in place to prevent scamming by honest legitimate movers, it won't happen, and any tiny worry about it would be solved by a call to the agency owner, should problems develop. But if you pick one of those internet brokers/scammers, all bets are off, good luck.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:22 am

Personally, I would go with Andy's based on their GTNE estimate and the fact that your experience with the NMS estimator wasn't overly pleasant. Andy's has many many great reviews here.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:44 am

It's not even a contest. Go with Andy's, if only because you felt more comfortable with the sales rep. Frankly I'm surprised that the NMS rep acted so lame. I'll make a note of it in the Superlist.

To set the record straight, though, NMS and Andy's were probably giving you the same kinds of estimates. If a customer adds items (a lot of items; not just a few boxes) to the inventory list, it can void the GNTE price for any van line. The contract from Andy's just uses much more consumer-friendly language.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”