Moving from NJ to Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rohitmittal

Moving from NJ to Chicago

Postby rohitmittal » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi,

I have to move 1BR apartment from Edison NJ to Chicago. Does anyone know of any good movers?

Thanks
Rohit

MusicMom

Re: Moving from NJ to Chicago

Postby MusicMom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:21 pm

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7660#57660

Start there and read through all three sections of New Jersey.

Find a few movers near you and schedule in-home estimates. Do not settle for phone inventories for a mover located within 50 miles of your house.

rohitmittal

Postby rohitmittal » Wed May 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the link MusicMom... I have appointments of Wade Odell Wade, University Van Lines (Atlas) and Wheaton (Crown Relocations) this week. Today I got an estimate from Hercules Movers http://www.herculesmoversinc.com

The guys name was Fred. He gave me an estimate in cubic feet ..about 500-550 cu. feet... and converted that to $1875 - $2063 + packing... When I asked him not-to-exceed price, he wrote $2374.

Does anyone has any idea about Hercules Movers. I am still waiting for other estimates though...

Also, I got a quote on phone from http://www.movingout.com ...Any idea about this?

Thanks
Rohit

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 02, 2007 7:08 pm

I got worried, but was placated when I saw it was a different Hercules than the one we're familiar with. This one seems OK, but not stellar. They've been licensed for a while, and had a 5-month revocation in 2003. They are licensed to move Military, so I guess that's a good thing-common sense would say that the military wouldn't use a poor mover? Only a couple BBB complaints, but then I see they're run out of an apartment in NYC. That's not a sign of a professional mover.

I guess in the end it comes down to how their estimate compares to the others you've gotten, and what's offered to you for that price. Bumping the weight and price when an estiamte converts to a not-to-exceed is not uncommon, it gives the movers a price cushion just like the not-to-exceed tiself gives you a price cushion. You're weight is most likely pretty close to the original estimate.

But I have to ask, after he gave you the Cubic Feet estimate, did he convert that measurement to weight anywhere in writing, or just CF to price? If not, doesn't matter if they're the best in the world - you should NOT do a move based on Cubic Feet. Weight only.

MovingOut, besides having a website with annoyingly loud music that startled me out of my chair (check your speaker volume before clicking on that above link!), should be crossed off your list. They're in FL, and can't give you an accurate visual survey. Here's a thread that digs deep into MovingOut, legal name of PMME, inc.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 03, 2007 8:38 am

About Hercules, they are supposedly HQd in Rahway, which is right where University Van Lines is located:
NEW JERSEY
1576 Hart St.
Rahway NJ 07065
Phone: (201) 770-1990 / (732) 396-8883

I am not at all sure that this Hercules is unconnected with the bad Hercules. I strongly suggest that you ask your rep from University Van Lines what he knows about this company. Coupons on the website are something that we've learned to regard as a red flag. I would be extremely wary.

rohitmittal

Postby rohitmittal » Thu May 03, 2007 7:05 pm

>> did he convert that measurement to weight anywhere in writing, or just CF to price?

just CF to price at $3.75 / cubic feet

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu May 03, 2007 8:10 pm

Ohh bad. Throw that quote OUT!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 03, 2007 10:27 pm

Yep. No mover worth his salt would leave a quote based on Cubic Feet anymore. It's even illegal in most circumstances for interstate moves now.

rohitmittal

Postby rohitmittal » Fri May 04, 2007 6:55 pm

When I asked him about cubic feet to weight conversion, he said he would multiply cubic feet by 7 to get the weight in lbs. and that would come out to be around 3500. But he didn't write that down...

Tomorrow Wade Odell Wade (United) guy is coming for an estimate.. on Monday University Van Lines and on Tuesday Wheaton (Crwon Relocations)... Lets see what they quote...

rohitmittal

Postby rohitmittal » Sat May 05, 2007 9:51 am

I just got an estimate from Wade Odell Wade(United)... The guys name was Jim Murphy. He estimated 3738 lb. which is $2149. If I choose packing also, it would cost me $704 extra....

Now I'm waiting for other 2 estimates ....

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sat May 05, 2007 10:01 am

Wade Odell is a top rated United Van Lines agent, you can't go wrong.

rohitmittal

Postby rohitmittal » Wed May 09, 2007 10:53 am

So, here are the 2 movers I am thinking about

Wade Odell (United) --- transportation cost $2149 (estimate ~ 3800 lb.)...plus custom packing ~ $300 I am waiting for the Not-to-exceed price from them...transit time 3-4 days..they can pickup on the weekend (which i prefer)

University Van Lines (Atlas) --- Not to exceed price $2815 (based on ~ 4000 lb.) This includes custom packing of wardrobe, matress and mirrors...transit time 2-14 days...booked for the weekend...can only pickup on a weekday

Both the services look reliable to me.... Any feedback would be appreciated...

-Rohit

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 09, 2007 11:01 am

Rohit,

Although both companies are good, it looks as if WOW will fit your needs better. Not sure why their transit time is shorter - maybe someone will comment. Would they be self-hauling the shipment?

rohitmittal wrote:Today I got an estimate from Hercules Movers http://www.herculesmoversinc.com

The guys name was Fred. He gave me an estimate in cubic feet ..about 500-550 cu. feet... and converted that to $1875 - $2063 + packing... When I asked him not-to-exceed price, he wrote $2374.

I was very interested to see that your quotes from two excellent companies were only a little more than your quote from Hercules, an extremely iffy company. Did you ask the University rep whether he knew anything about Hercules in Rahway?

rohitmittal

Postby rohitmittal » Wed May 09, 2007 11:24 am

>> Would they be self-hauling the shipment?
I didn't ask this....

Also, I forgot to ask about Hercules from the University Van Lines guy. But I'll definitely ask him....

Yes, WOW seems to fit my needs... I'm waiting for the not-to-exceed price..

rohitmittal

Postby rohitmittal » Wed May 09, 2007 2:28 pm

So WOW gave a not-to-exceed price of $2995 (based on 4000 lb.) which includes full packing too.. (I am thinking of doing the packing myself though)...

Also, if I take 0 deductible full value coverage, it would cost me extra $276. Should I take it? There are no valuables except for TV, which I can carry in my car too...

So, the price seems to be the same from both, but WOW seems to be better for my needs....

Crown Relocations (Wheaton) still didn't give me an estimate.... But I guess that will be higher than these 2

Return to “Open Community”