Moved from Queens to Manhattan: Positve Shea experience

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NYCChris

Moved from Queens to Manhattan: Positve Shea experience

Postby NYCChris » Tue May 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Hello everyone

I found Shea movers from this site and I thought it only fair to let you all know my experience.

My girlfriend and I just moved in together, and we had to move 2 separate apartments in Rego Park area of queens to the West Side of Manhattan.

I got my start very late and only started calling movers on Friday! I initially called a company I found of craigslist. But after reading this site I was a bit worried about it. I tried Shea Movers and left a message.

Julie from Shea called me back on Saturday morning and was very helpful. She said she was not able to move me for Monday but still listened to my move and asked me questions about all my items. She even recommended All Star to me and gave me their number!
I called All Star but they were unable to schedule anything for me on such short notice. So at this point I thought I would be left with the craigslist people. On Sunday morning Julie called me back and asked how I made out. I told her what happened and she offered to get me in for an 8AM move on Monday! We agreed on a two man move with the truck and she capped the move at 400.00

On Monday morning 8AM sharp, owner Brian Shea and two other moves arrived and got to work. Even though we had agreed to two man move they had other moves scheduled right after mine, and Brian agreed to keep the same price cap and lower the rate for the truck.

They were quick and had the first apartment loaded on the truck and helped us throw away some unused furniture in exactly one hour. The 2nd apartment had a lot of pressed-wood furniture and took just over an hour.

They guys were very professional and took great care in packing up all the pieces.

All said we were unpacked and done by 12:30. (My girlfriend was very appreciative of the extra care they took to avoid damaging the beautiful hardwood flooring in the new apartment)

Even though we were over budget Brian kept to the 400.00 cap (although they did get a parking ticket which was an extra 115 but in this area of Manhattan almost unavoidable)

It was a great experience and I would highly recommend them.

Diane

Re: Moved from Queens to Manhattan: Positve Shea experience

Postby Diane » Tue May 01, 2007 12:16 pm

Glad to hear it went well, but not surprised since my son used them too.

Question: did they ask you to pay for the parking ticket? Because that could have been their margin of profit for the move . . .

ArchieWhite

Re: **Moved from Queens to Manhattan: Positve Shea experience

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue May 01, 2007 1:16 pm

$115 for a parking ticket, and people wonder why movers and their big trucks don't like to go to NYC.....or if they go, they charge extra, which they should.

NYCChris

Postby NYCChris » Tue May 01, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi Diane

Yes they did ask me to pay for the ticket and I did. Actually I wonder with a cap of $400, a3 man crew and 4.5 hours what the profit margin was.

Actually, the job would have taken longer too but I actually went up onto the truck and helped unload from the back. :)

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue May 01, 2007 1:20 pm

They didn't make much profit, if any.......you got a good deal

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 01, 2007 1:37 pm

But they will also probably be the first name on Chris's lips next time a friend asks for the name of a good mover.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 01, 2007 2:42 pm

Good for you, Chris! You are a mensch . . . I was hoping you would say that you paid for the ticket or at least offered to pay.

Return to “Open Community”