Excel/Allied Van Lines - NC to NJ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rene2222

Excel/Allied Van Lines - NC to NJ

Postby rene2222 » Sat May 12, 2007 9:19 am

Just wanted to let you know my move went so smoothly. I moved from NC to NJ and used Excel. The "packers" (Randy & Freddy) came on Monday, as promised. The driver (Jason) and another guy (Gary) came on Tuesday to load the truck. All of them were very nice and knew what they were doing. Jason told me he would be there @ 8:00 a.m. on Thursday in NJ to unload the truck at the storage unit. I drove up to my parents in PA and got there @ 11:00 p.m. on Wednesday. Thursday morning I got up @ 5:00 a.m. so I would have enough time to drive to Jersey and meet Jason by 8:00. I called him @ 8:00 but he was still on the road and was going to stop and get something to eat before meeting me. He got there @ 10:00, but I didn't have a problem with that. He was the only one to unload as the other guy, Gary, had wanted to spend some time with his son since he hadn't seen his 3-yr. old in a few weeks (understandable). Jason was very careful unloading and stacking, etc. He completed everything by 2:00 p.m. and then we were on our way. I have no complaints about Excel/Allied. They were great and I would highly recommend them to anyone. Dave, the agent I used, kept me posted throughout everything either by phone or email, as well as Sarah (the move coordinator).

I was in touch with Jason while on the road as well. All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better moving experience. Thanks, Michael, for suggesting I give Dave a call.

The GRR was good, so thanks to all you guys for telling me about it and to you, Michael, for giving Dave a call and explaining that to him. I ended up getting about $250 back on my credit card. The packing went over, but the weight was under.

You guys are wonderful out there and this is fantastic site for getting moving info and answers to your questions.

I'm extremely happy with the move. I'll keep you posted once I get the stuff out of storage and open the boxes. Jason thought I had at least 90 days to go through the boxes to make sure there wasn't any damage. I don't anticipate there will be anything damaged as Randy and Freddy used a lot of packing paper.

Again, thank you for your help!

PMueller

Re: Excel/Allied Van Lines - NC to NJ

Postby PMueller » Sat May 12, 2007 3:16 pm

For a move that delivered into self storage you actually had to advise of any damage at the time of delivery. However, I know the Excel agent is a good one and I would not anticipate any excessive damages with their packers.

Thanks for the information on Excel. I'm sure Diane will post this positive review for them shortly.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

rene2222

Postby rene2222 » Sat May 12, 2007 7:22 pm

When I asked Jason about it, he said that you only have to note damage to any furniture at the time it's put into self-storage. The cartons that were packed, you have at least 90 days. I had questioned that because I didn't think they would expect me to open every box and unwrap the contents to inspect it and then have to rewrap, etc. I would definitely recommend Excel.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sat May 12, 2007 8:47 pm

I hope they honor his statement for you if you have damage. If you move the boxes to another location (your new home or apartment) they will not honor damage no matter if it is within the 90 days that he stated as they will not know how you or someone else appointed by you has handled the boxes. Delivery into a self storage leaves some people less than satisfied when they finally do get settled into a new home. You should be okay if the boxes did not appear to have any damages such as being ripped, torn, crushed, opened. By all means call your move coordinator and get her to notate what the driver stated to you at time of delivery, I've worked for Allied and usually all liability ends at time of delivery into a self storage. All damages must be noted at the time of delivery and even noted damages must be inspected prior to being moved again out of storage.

I'm going to give you an example so that you can understand the claim department's dilemma in such cases. The goods were delivered, you did not claim anything damaged at that time. The driver leaves. The moving company no longer has control over who goes into the storage unit. A customer may need to access their storage to retrieve something, as they are moving a box and stacking on top of something to get into another box - the box falls causing the lower tier of items to crack. A customer then wants to claim those items as damaged. Is that fair to the moving company? Absolutely not. Will all customers be that way? Absolutely not. It is a line that gets drawn in the sand, it has to be drawn somewhere as the customer has saved alot of money by storing their items in the storage facility of their choice. Another scenario, you can not tell that the unit has a small leak, over 30-45 days moisture builds up in a carton that is absorbing the water. You open the carton noting that there is some discoloration on the cardboard but it is dry - yet on the inside there is water, moisture or mold damage. Again, there are customers that will try to claim that as damaged by the movers, was it? The claim department will deny as the moving company did not have control over the carton or items beyond the time of delivery. Therefore, if any and all damages are not noted at time of delivery - there is no liability on the moving company that moved you.

As stated previously though, Excel is a good Allied agent and I'm sure they packed the boxes well and you should not suffer any major damages - if any at all. The last time I moved and had packing performed I only had one saucer to break in all of the shipment and I'm not sure my husband didn't cause it when he brought the box to me for unpacking!!

Please don't think I'm trying to be negative - about a positive experience. I just want you to realize that what the driver stated is probably inaccurate. Did he put that statement in writing to you? If his office agrees with the statement when you call, ask them to put it in writing to you.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

rene2222

Postby rene2222 » Sun May 13, 2007 8:28 am

Thanks for explaining that to me. I didn't know that and, no, he didn't put that in writing. I'll call Allied first thing in the morning and see what they say. I HOPE nothing is damaged in those boxes. But, you're right...it would be hard to define who is at fault when I go back to the unit to reload onto a truck later on! I appreciate your help!

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sun May 13, 2007 9:10 am

I'm glad you understand. The Excel sales rep should have brought these details to your attention at the time of your estimate. It is sometimes a difficult subject to bring up when you are trying to win someone's business, but it's something that should be done everytime someone chooses self storage. Our company even puts it all in writing and has the customer acknowledge they were informed of the risks and liability issues.

In regard to what the driver stated, he is not the only driver at fault for making such a statement. I beleive the drivers are trained and advised to defer a question like that to the move coordinator or someone in the office - but in some cases they do not. The drivers are very informed and skilled in the many functions they perform - but they are not administrators that have to contend with the claim process after the move is completed and are not experts in this field.

The reason I posted to your comment initially was to let you know more realistic expectations if you have any damages. As well as to inform any others that is reading your post that may be considering self storage so that they can clarify these issues with the mover before hand. It is always easier to understand an outcome to something prior to it actually occuring than it is if we do not know the outcome until after we have suffered from the occurence.

Auspicious1

Postby Auspicious1 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Glad to hear it went well. We decided on using Excel too. I will post a review here when it happens.
Thanks.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon May 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Thanks Rene. Glad everything went well. And I would also question the 90 day rule. I would get the answer from your coordinator if I was you. Not the driver. Most drivers are "yes" men if you know what I mean.

Best of luck in Jersey.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

rene2222

Postby rene2222 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:03 am

Thanks, Michael. Dave just sent me an email and this is what he said:

"We do have liability on a move like yours where we packed (interstate into self-storage) under the following conditions. For up to 9 months after the move, we accept liability on packing damage providing the boxes have not been moved. Basically this means if you inspect all contents within that time IN THE STORAGE FACILITY. If the boxes are moved anywhere else, our liability ended once they were touched by you or anyone else in removing them to another location."

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciat it!

Return to “Open Community”