**NYcityStuff.com / NYcityVan - anyone know about them?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NYCtoCT

**NYcityStuff.com / NYcityVan - anyone know about them?

Postby NYCtoCT » Mon May 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi,

This is my first post!

I am moving a 1-bedroom apartment of stuff from NYC to Connecticuit, about 2 hours away. I found on Craigslist a small company called NYcityVan, and their website NYcityStuff.com.

They appear to have many positive ratings for local moves, and the website claims that they are insured, registered with DOT, and even has photos of the employees and company owner. Google searches haven't turned up anything negative, and the majority of reviews I've found (a site called topratedmovers.com - don't know anything about this site) have said that the movers were polite/friendly/professional with fair rates.

Most "negatives" people reported was that they ran a bit late, but called in advance to warn the customer that they were running late or didn't bring the right kind of one box. One person complains that due to a communication breakdown the movers were 2-3 hours late (but then goes on to say that the owner of the company gave a discount on the cost because of the error). In my opinion, those are small details (I'm booking them to come early enough that even if they are 6 hours late, it won't matter!) and pretty typical for Manhattan, where the traffic is so unpredictable. More important to me is that no one has reported any hint of a scam or unsafety from this company.

They quoted me a flat $1,000 to move my self-packed belongings. that includes 2 movers to load the truck and all equipment necessary (blankets, dolly, etc.), parking the stuff overnight in a safe/locked parking lot and driving it to CT the next day to unload into the new apartment. (I requested storing my stuff in the truck overnight because I need to vacate on the last day of the month, and can't get in my new apt. until the first day of the following month. Rather than bothering my new landlord & neighbors at midnight, and having exhausted guys moving my stuff, I figured it would be better to park the truck, get some rest and drive/unload the next day. So this is not an idea they sprung on me to wrest storage fees or disappear with my belongings.)

I think that sounds like a fair price considering all of the labor, and I would like to hire them. I just wanted to check if anyone here has experience with this company before making a commitment.

FYI: I have already reserved a Penske truck for a self-move "just in case" but I'd rather have some guys to help instead of relying on friends. I looked into Broadway Express/ABF, but Bway won't come to my location, and ABF's trucks and drop-off crate things are too big to fit on my block.
Last edited by NYCtoCT on Mon May 14, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Re: NYcityStuff.com / NYcityVan - anyone know about them?

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 14, 2007 5:04 pm

I haven't yet gone to look at the reviews you're seeing, but look over them again. Do the positive ones seem REALLY positive? Do they extoll the foreman as an angel sent from heaven? Do they sound ready to hand over their first-born - OK, now I'm just exaggerating, but still, do they seem TOO happy with their movers? Reviews sites, some more than others, are very easy for just anyone to say they had a grand ol' time, and nobody ever checks on the legitimacy of the reviews. Come back every few days or so, and say the same thing again with a different name and destination.

I would beleive the ones that say the movers were late but called ahead.: That sounds realistic and professional.

What you need to check on is if they have a legtimate interstate license. Even though NYC to CT is not that far, it still crosses state lines. So far I'm unable to locate this company's license by name, so you should call and ask for their DOT and MC numbers. While you've got them on the line, type that number into here and see if it's for real:

http://www.safersys.org/CompanySnapshot.aspx

If they ahve no interstate license, it doesn't matter whther they have millions of dollars worth of insruance or not, they can't move you to CT.

NYCtoCT

Postby NYCtoCT » Mon May 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi
Thanks so much for the extremely fast reply!

The reviews I've read were here: http://www.topratedmovers.com/src/publi ... php?id=405

and on their own site, customer testimonials: http://nycitystuff.com/ (most reviews have a contact email included.)

Now I agree with you about the reviews possibly being "planted" by the company itself, because that was my main concern that led me to post here. But these seem legitimate. They're mostly positive but not in an unrealistic way (I sent a similar very positive testimonial to a laborer I hired from Craigslist who did a great, professional, courteous job helping me install a hardwood floor. He has many positive reviews because he is friendly, charges a fair price, and does a good job. But I can see how someone could think his website was fake because it's only positive review!)

Also the reviews on the company's own site include email addresses at some small, high-end companies that I know are definitely in/near NYC - not JUST hotmail/gmail/aol etc. (3x3magazine, alloymarketing, bobbibrowncosmetics, wharton.upenn.edu etc.) so if someone is forging these emails, they're unusually culturally savvy!

ETA: I just got a response back to my email. I searched for them - NYDOT#36954
USDOT#1550726
"aren't required to have MC#'s--technically we are licensed truckers not movers"

It lists it as "Intrastate" checked off, not "Interstate" and it does say "Auth. for hire."

Considering my limitations: a tightly cramped Manhattan block that won't accommodate this website's recommended moving services, my budget, my stuff isn't particularly valuable or heirloom, etc. they are still the best deal I have found, short of renting a truck on my own and hiring some laborers off Craigslist to drive the truck and move my belongings.

Even if they aren't technically licensed, they at least seem to have more official qualifications (at least they have a permanent staff and not just random temp laborers). I am afraid of driving a large vehicle because I have never done so before let alone in a major city, I cannot physically move my own stuff. I do not have friends or family who can physically help me move (though I can get someone to "chaperone" so I won't be alone in apartments with strange men.) The reputable companies can't come to my address. So basically my options seem limited to some sort of unofficial Man With Van situation anyway.

What sort of risks (aside from theft/scam) would I be running by hiring someone without intrastate papers? Do I have any other options such as a known labor agency with "safe" guys to hire as movers/drivers if I rent my own Penske truck?
Last edited by NYCtoCT on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Actually, they ARE required to have a MC license to drive their trucks out of state. The DOT has them classified as only being able to drive within the state of NY, so they can't legally drive as a commercial vehicle to CT. I'm sorry. Upon closer inspection, I agree that their reviews look legit, and if you were moving around in the city I'd say it's worth a shot.

You can see for yourself here.

Check out the Mover Reviews sticky thread in the Open Community, New York is, I beleive, on page 4.

NYCtoCT

Postby NYCtoCT » Mon May 14, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi, Thank you for the advice! I've read through the sticky, and it seems like no licensed movers are available for my situation (location, timing, and budget all factoring against me.) I have emailed or attempted to register on moovers, abf, broadway express, and Pods, and all say "Sorry, we can't move you, but good luck!" It seems like Manhattan moving is a fairly lawless process... even the reviews you pointed me to seem to say "no easy answers!" It's still reassuring (as far as it can be reassuring!) to know that my situation is quite normal for where I am and how much I can spend, and I'm not just blind to the perfect solution. :wink:

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Did you call All Star or Shea?

NYCtoCT

Postby NYCtoCT » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am posting a follow-up to my move. I am sorry it has taken me so long.

I ended up using NYCityVan for my move and had what I feel is a good experience. Here is a breakdown:

-- They charged me $900 to move my 1-br's worth of stuff from Manhattan to CT. The quote dropped from the original $1000 because I didn't end up needing to store my things in the van overnight. I moved from a 5th flr elevator apartment to a 2nd floor walkup. I think I overestimated the amount of things I was going to be moving, because I didn't know how enormous a "wardrobe box" was. I estimated I had like 15 of them when I actually had none. They didn't drop the price upon assessing my stuff (what businessperson would?) but they also stuck firmly to the quote and definitely didn't try to overcharge or anything like that.

--First they were going to come 2 hours early, then 2 hours late. Eventually they ended up coming slightly late, about an hour, after moving another client. But I was pretty relaxed about the whole situation and assumed there would be something funny with the timing... when I move, I always assume from the outset that it *could* happen up to 6 hours early or 6 hours late, just to avoid getting panicked, then I'm pleasantly surprised if it's on time. The movers were extremely reliable about calling me with timing updates.

--The movers were all very polite, friendly, and courteous. They were very fast about loading and unloading the van. They were careful with my belongings. I was very happy with the service. I had water and beers for them and they seemed to appreciate it. I am a young, single female... I had friends with me the whole time I was around the movers but I would have felt safe with them even if I had been alone.

--I tipped each mover (3 guys) $50. By the standards of this site that is rather high, but since I've worked in the service industry myself I tend to tip high. This still brought my total in under my personal budget (I'd budgeted $1500) before I started getting quotes.

--They had put one of my fragile belongings between another client's boxes for safety during the drive, and accidentally left it in the back of the van... when I realized this I called/emailed them, and they knew exactly where it was & arranged for it to be delivered to my friend's apartment, where I picked it up. They would have shipped it to me but it was easier for me to do it this way.

So, I would say that although it was not a 100% seamless move, I had a good experience and would hire them again if I still lived in the area. I am a cynic and don't believe that a 100% perfect move exists, so this was about as good as I expected and I am a happy customer.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks for this review, which I've added to the Superlist with a notation that they aren't licensed to do interstate moves. Also, I noticed that they have an extremely high driver out of service rating on www.safersys.org (worrisome). And I think all the reviews on www.topratedmovers.com are suspect - not just theirs. HOWEVER, you had a good move, which is the important thing. Many, many people in NYC use unlicensed movers, and one of them (Movemaster, or George Marengo) was actually featured in a New York Times article a year or so ago!
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

mrak

Postby mrak » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks for the review!

I too have them booked next week and am hoping for a good move day. I have allotted extra time for a late show.

NYCtoCT

Postby NYCtoCT » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:41 pm

Diane wrote:Thanks for this review, which I've added to the Superlist with a notation that they aren't licensed to do interstate moves. Also, I noticed that they have an extremely high driver out of service rating on www.safersys.org (worrisome). And I think all the reviews on www.topratedmovers.com are suspect - not just theirs. HOWEVER, you had a good move, which is the important thing. Many, many people in NYC use unlicensed movers, and one of them (Movemaster, or George Marengo) was actually featured in a New York Times article a year or so ago!

I don't know what "driver out of service" rating means so if it means something different than simple unavailability please correct me..

But I think if drivers are out of service, it's because they all have other jobs. They are artists, musicians, etc. who sometimes go on tour, or pick up occasional more career-related temp jobs. I've been in a similar situation myself where I worked in a bar, but would leave that job for a few weeks at a time to travel, take jobs related to my artwork, etc. So that would not strike me as a bad thing, if the drivers weren't consistently available.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:03 pm

No, out of service means they were inspected by the DOT and they did something wrong.

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/Driver ... &PageN=OOS

tcatrainer

Postby tcatrainer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:32 pm

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: http://www.nycityvan.com

Thank you for contacting the New York State Department of Transportation. The company that you're inquiring about does not have a license with us under that name to operate as a household goods mover within New York State (intrastate).

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to call our toll free number at 1-800-786-5368.

>>> 1/19/2009 6:00 PM >>>

http://www.nycityvan.com are they licensed movers

there is no address info or dot number on their website.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks for posting this info.

tcatrainer

Postby tcatrainer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:35 pm

NOTE NY STATE DOT SAYS THEY ARE NOT LICENSED TO TRANSPORT HOUSEHOLD GOODS WITHIN NY STATE.

they list numbers here on a contract :

http://www.nycityvan.com/confirm.php?id ... =177424055

US DOT# 1550726 - NY DOT# 36954
36 S 4th St, Brooklyn, NY 11211
TEL: 212-242-1500/718-599-9100 FAX: 718-599-9101

Is this all a lie?
- Show quoted text -

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:19 AM, NYMoving NYMoving <NYMoving@dot.state.ny.us> wrote:

Thank you for contacting the New York State Department of Transportation. The company that you're inquiring about does not have a license with us under that name to operate as a household goods mover within New York State (intrastate).

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to call our toll free number at 1-800-786-5368.

http://www.nycityvan.com are they licensed movers

there is no address info or dot number on their website.

Follow up message
The company we have listed under NYSDOT #36954 is NYCITYSTUFF INC.

They have an active license with us under that name and number to transport "Property, Except Household Goods" within New York State. They do not have authority from us to operate as a household goods mover within New York State (intrastate).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to call our toll free number at 1-800-786-5368.

Return to “Open Community”