Durham NC to NYC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
DurhamNCToNYC

Durham NC to NYC

Postby DurhamNCToNYC » Sat May 19, 2007 4:22 pm

We're looking to move from Durham, NC to NYC in the last week in June.

The major problem:
We have no idea exactly where our place in Manhattan will be, and won't until early June when inconveniently we're out of the country. (We're getting subsidized housing at the housing agency holds all the cards)

I'm worried about being able to get our stuff to our apartment. Options we're considering:

ABF U-Pack, hiring people locally to help us load, and then using a local mover to pick up the pods at the warehouse in NJ and moving from there.

Broadway Express, and hoping that wherever we move we'll have room to get the giant truck somewhere where we can idle it while unloading the truck near our apt.

Large movers, like Armstrong (United), Excel Movers (Allied). So far we've been saying we'd pack the stuff ourselves but I wonder if that means we have liability if it gets broken? (I'm mostly worried about an LCD TV and some china)

A local mover (http://www.truckinmovers.com/) who apparently ships your stuff by UPS and therefore can guarantee delivery date. I've seen one positive review here.

I'm getting estimates next week but guidance would be great - I'm willing to pay for a large mover but only if it's actually going to gain me something - is there really peace of mind to be gained if your stuff is being kept in a warehouse, your drivers are switched on you, and you can't be certain of the delivery date?

Diane

Re: Durham NC to NYC

Postby Diane » Sat May 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi - of the possibilities you mention, I think one or two ABF ReloCubes make the most sense if you have only a small amount of stuff. If you haven't read the Superlist for North Carolina linked to below, look at it to see what has been said here about companies in your area. You could use TROSA or Delancey Street-North Carolina to load the cube and a local mover like Shea Moving in Queens or University Van Lines to move the contents (not the cube itself) from the ABF terminal to your Manhattan apartment. If you needed storage for some reason it would be no problem.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

DurhamNCToNYC

Postby DurhamNCToNYC » Mon May 21, 2007 10:02 am

Update after my in-house estimate (from Don at Horne Moving Systems, actually, not Armstrong - when I started calling folks I thought calling someone associated w/ United meant I was talking to "United")

Estimate came out to be 3500 pounds, which cost $2287 to move, w/o insurance, insurance costs $276 more w/ a deductible. That's with us packing most stuff and them packing some glass pieces (7 mirror cartons for $30 each).

I asked him about whether his company would be picking up and delivering the stuff, and he said he'd send the request to their dispatcher and they'd either handle it or they'd send it off to United and some other company would pick it up. He said they wouldn't just pull people off the street to move the stuff, that United charges fines for doing that. Still, I'm a little concerned that it might be some random United company w/ who knows what record moving my stuff.

He's going to send me referrals and check on the "Metro fee" which is what they'll charge to shuttle my stuff on a smaller truck into NYC proper.

So, two things to worry about: the metro fee and the chance that someone completely unassociated w/ Horne might be moving my stuff.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon May 21, 2007 10:24 am

Thats really a misconception ( that somebody other than 'Horne') will be picking up your stuff. It's actually a benefit to have the entire United Van Lines system available for your move. The driver might be from California, it really doesn't matter, as he is part of the United system, which is somewhere around 4,000 trucks. If there should be some kind of scheduling problem ( mechanical breakdown, yesterdays shipment went over the estimate, house closing fell thru, whatever) then an alternate truck is not too far away from being able to jump into the breech. And the owner of Horne is a personal friend of mine, he is on the board of directors for United and Mayflower, and his company is highly regarded, you can do no better.

DurhamNCToNYC

Postby DurhamNCToNYC » Fri May 25, 2007 2:29 pm

I managed to clear some things up with Don from Horne, and then got another moving estimate from Excel, managed by Josh.

First of all, Don says: there's a shuttle fee that wasn't included in the moving cost due to the move being to NYC. That'll be $600 extra. Also, they won't pack my TV, they're going to consider it packed by owner even though I have the original box. I asked them to pack some dishes as well, which probably cost another $100 (though honestly it's hard to tell w/ their moving forms, which have a pre-discount price of $100 per dish box(!) and then apply a huge discount on the total).

That brings the cost of this move pre-insurance and pre-variable costs to about $3000. I have to say the way Don was slow to get back to me on these issues make me leary of using him as my guide for my move - what if there's a problem along the way? Not only that he was slow to get back to me but that he said "I'll send you something this afternoon" and then didn't. Twice. No points for Don there - if you're busy, just let me know.

With the estimate w/ Excel, I was much more clear about what questions to ask and I think because of that had a much smoother experience. The weight was almost exactly the same. However, they _will_ pack my TV and insure it, which is nice. Also, he made it clear he was willing to negotiate about price, which is very nice. Their form is _much_ simpler, which I appreciate, but made no mention of variable costs, which I just called Josh about. We'll see what kind of response time I get. I'd like to be able to know how much I can add to the guaranteed price to get my final cost.

The guaranteed price for Excel w/ the shuttle is closer to $3300.

Between my wife and I we've ruled out moving w/ ABF because the logistics of dealing with it all while we're out of town were getting extremely difficult due to reasons I don't want to go into here.

For what it's worth, though, I did call TROSA, and asked them if they had people experienced at packing a truck. The man on the phone said yes, but that of course they couldn't be held responsible if anything broke during the move (which is of course true). He went on to say that if the truck went over a bump or took a turn too fast, stuff would break, which I think is simplifying things a bit. Anyway, they should probably work on their pitch and offer references to happy movees instead of excuses and a story of someone who called them up mad.

If I had to decide today I'd go w/ Excel, but I'm not making the final decision unti Wednesday, after my final estimator (SRS) comes over on Tuesday.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri May 25, 2007 2:53 pm

So, who is Excel? Are they agents for a van lines? Are they an internet broker? I'm not familiar with them.

Diane

Re: *Durham NC to NYC

Postby Diane » Fri May 25, 2007 3:03 pm

They are a highly-regarded Allied agent, Archie. See the Superlist linked to below.

Thanks for the info about Horne and TROSA - good to know.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri May 25, 2007 3:14 pm

OK good, I should have known......lets see, Allied, they have them big orange trucks, right? Years ago we would josh back and forth, calling them AL Lied, and they would call us Un Tie'd Van lines, then there was also Mayflounder, small world.

DurhamNCToNYC

Postby DurhamNCToNYC » Fri May 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Ok, Josh got back to me w/in 2 hours, stating that the total cost did include the fuel tarrif, that that total ($3300) is what I'd pay, barring increase in weight, other extra expenses, etc. Of course, I understand that there's always that little "barring unexpected costs" exception, but still, sounds like it's possible that on the other end I could owe exactly $3300.

Archie, I am certain that Horne is a good business, and Don was friendly, but not as responsive as I would have liked. Maybe I got off on the wrong foot w/ him by accidentally thinking he was from Armstrong (The other United company in the area) :oops:

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Just make sure that Excel's quote is a Total Price Guarantee/Total Guaranteed Price quote with GRR (Guaranteed Rate Reduction). That is the equivalent of a GNTE. These words and phrases should appear somewhere on your quote.

DurhamNCToNYC

Postby DurhamNCToNYC » Fri May 25, 2007 3:50 pm

Diane wrote:Just make sure that Excel's quote is a Total Price Guarantee/Total Guaranteed Price quote with GRR (Guaranteed Rate Reduction). That is the equivalent of a GNTE. These words and phrases should appear somewhere on your quote.

It says "Total guaranteed price" but I don't see anything about Guaranteed Rate Reduction. Is that bad?

From what I can see a GRR means that if the weight estimate is over the actual weight, I can reduce the difference from my bill. Sounds nice.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat May 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Don is a very good person, new to sells but a very good person. I worked for Horne, both their Mayflower and United side. Horne is in Goldsboro, having just recently sold their Raleigh agent to Hilldrup. Don was our quality control manager when I was there. So him being a little late in replying probably had to do with finding the right people to answer his question. His explanation of self haul vs united haul could have probably have been better explained, but I am sure he had your best interest at heart in getting the right answer to your question. But I agree also, if he told you he would let you know right away, he should have.

The explanations TROSA gave you crack me up. And the reason for such a reply is probably because they dont have as much experience with the interstate moves and so much turn over with employees.

Excel is a fine agent here in Raleigh. Allied's agent of the year for 2006. They have done a few recent moves for some people here recently. You definitely want the GRR added. Otherwise you have a binding estimate.

Archie, how about, not just one lied, they AL(all) LIED. Or UNITED is so dumb they have to spell it three times. I cant remember the one with Mayflower and Bekins being green and referencing money.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

DurhamNCToNYC

Postby DurhamNCToNYC » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:13 am

Move completed.

Excel managed to get me a straight truck, and delivered me and one other guy For the move I had Jeff as the driver, he was excellent, however, one of his guys did drop some of my boxes in the hurry to get them in and out. They were boxes of books and pots + pans, so not a big deal - everything was fine after the move, except a couple of scratches which were due to my poor packing.

They picked up our stuff Friday and delivered Sunday morning!

If I were to do it again I would have paid for them to transport all of my framed artwork, even though glass boxes are expensive, trying to transport all of that across the country was a pain.

In any case I was charged the $2600 w/ no shuttle fee. Generally a pretty painless move.

Oh, and the driver was nice enough to agree to unload a piece of furniture that we had no room for in our NY apt!

Thanks for everyone's advice, and good luck to those planning a move!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:18 am

Wonderful! Thank you for the update!

Diane

Re: **Durham NC to NYC

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks for this good review of Excel, which I've added to the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane

Return to “Open Community”