updates on OZ?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jamiebeth

updates on OZ?

Postby jamiebeth » Wed May 23, 2007 2:36 pm

i read all about Oz in the superlist but it seems some of the info may be out of date.

here's my story: we are moving some furniture, a bed and a lot of stuff (books, clothes, etc.) from nyc to LA.

i found this website halfway through the process and it has been SOOO helpful (so thank you!) - had i read what was written here about Oz before i booked the estimate, i probably wouldn't have made the appointment, but since i already had it booked i kept it.

ben just came, he was nice and though he hasn't given me the estimate yet (he said he would get it to me by tomorrow), he said it would be GNTE, which, if the price is low enough, may be a good way to go. so my question is are:

are they now liscenced to move interstate (he told me they were) AND should i be wary of GNTE, like are there loopholes i should be aware of?

THANK YOU!
Jamie

MusicMom

Re: updates on OZ?

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 23, 2007 2:54 pm

If he came to your house, there's not much that can be done to change the GNTE. The loopholes we talk about are for estimates given over the phone.

Can you tell us what the estimate says? Prices, servcies offered, extra charges, etc?

Just to be sure, can you verify which Oz you're talking about? There's a couple in NYC, now that I look closer. Address? If it's the one on East 78th Street in NYC, yes, they're licensed. DOT#1058063. They've got 20 trucks, which is kindof small a company to be offering coast-to-coast moves, but not unheard of.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 23, 2007 2:58 pm

Do you have plans to talk to other movers as well, to compare estimates? It would be a good idea to have three or four.

jamiebeth

Postby jamiebeth » Wed May 23, 2007 3:08 pm

thanks for your quick response - i also have dahill, meyers (another one i wouldn't have booked had i found this site earlier) and liffey. i will report over the weekend with details on all estimates, right now i'm at the very beginning.

as for this Oz, it is on e 78th, broadway and 80th, 2nd and 90th and e 126th as well as hillside, nj. the estimator said they have a truck going to LA once a week and they have just established a branch in LA. they will bring a straight truck here, load it up, store it for a day or two in nj, put it on a tractor trailer, take it to LA move it to a straight truck and get it to us w/i 10 business days. (all included, no shuttle, etc.)

more info to come. thanks so much. i love this site!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 pm

OK. Tell us the info once you have all the estimates.

jamiebeth

Postby jamiebeth » Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 pm

there are the two numbers on the brochure:
NYC DOT 1058063 and MC439945

jamiebeth

Postby jamiebeth » Wed May 23, 2007 3:13 pm

oddly, the estimator said the cost would be based on pounds (.57 per pound) but the brochure says it's done by cubic footage....i'm so nervous about this whole process!

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed May 23, 2007 3:43 pm

Toss from your consideration ANYONE who quotes you in cubic feet - it's a sure sign of someone wanting to scam you.... I would be really leery of anyone who quotes by the pound as well.....

I have a bad feeling about this. :evil:
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

jamiebeth

Postby jamiebeth » Wed May 23, 2007 4:26 pm

if not by cubic foot and not by pound, then what by? i thought those were the only two options.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 23, 2007 5:35 pm

That must be an old brochure. They have been noted to quote by the cubic foot in the past, but perhaps they've finally realized what that law allows. If your estimate says by the pound, then that's what they're doing.

(BTW- I am fully aware of the irony of me seeming to defend a mover known to do things wrong in the past]

Jamie, nothing you've said so far worries me as much as some other movers might. I'm hoping this means Oz is doing things by the book now. Other NYC movers started out scummy, and are now considered legit, so I'm hoping this is the case. But I would like to see how their estimate matches the others. 57 cents per pound is a VERY low price, I'm not seeing how they can make much of a profit on a coast-to-coast move unless you have a lot of stuff (which in NYC is probably a NO), which is why I asked about any additional charges they may give you.

One more thing, GNTE estimates sometimes will be bumped up a bit in weight and price to give the mover a little more wiggle room, so that 57 cents per pound is seeming even lower overall to me.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed May 23, 2007 5:50 pm

jaimebeth, $0.57 cents per pound is really too low for my comfort. Make sure the estimate you get says Guaranteed Not To Exceed or GNTE. If it doesn't, it isn't - and probably won't hold.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

jamiebeth

Four Quotes on a NYC to LA move

Postby jamiebeth » Fri May 25, 2007 6:32 pm

My husband and I need to move a lot of stuff (books, clothes, papers, dishes, etc.) and minimal furniture from NYC to LA in late july...here are the in-home estimates we got this week:

OZ (Independent): $1900, GNTE
Meyers (Mayflower): $3418.01, "Probable Cost of Move"
Dahill (Mayflower): $4710 + possible shuttle in LA of $419, GNTE
Liffey(Allied): has not sent estimatre yet.

More confused than ever....

If Oz is quoting that much less than everyone else but came to the apartment and saw everything that everyone else saw, what's going on?

Please advise. Thanks!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 pm

They're just not being realistic. You can't expect that price without something(s) being sacrificed. Best to just drop them and consider the other three.

jamiebeth

Postby jamiebeth » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:26 pm

We used Oz and all worked out just fine! I've posted a long piece about it on my own blog: http://henryandmae.blogspot.com/2007/08/movers.html but suffice to say, they were cheap, nice and all of our stuff arrived ahead of schedule! Thanks for all of your help!
Jamie

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Jamie,

If you see this, I think it would actually be good if you would post over here everything that you put in your blog, such as the stuff about the move being farmed out to Fragile Van Lines and Oz's "Concierge Service" and various strange/annoying people calling you. You said in your blog that even though you had a good move, "the best I can tell, Oz sold my info to a pretty shady company, but since I spoke to them, they've stopped calling and no harm seems to have been done."
Last edited by Diane on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”