Anyone used A Professional Move and Storage?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lakeview28

Anyone used A Professional Move and Storage?

Postby lakeview28 » Thu May 24, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm getting a quote from them and wondered if anyone had any info or reviews on them.
Thanks.

Nancy

Re: Anyone used A Professional Move and Storage?

Postby Nancy » Thu May 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Where are they located?

lakeview28

Postby lakeview28 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:18 pm

They are based out of Montecito, California and their number is 888-MOVE-880. The agent said although they don't have an office in NH, the companies they would use for our move are top notch. We are moving to GA. He told me to check the BBB rating - they have an "A" rating and don't have any complaints in the last 36 months.

lakeview28

Postby lakeview28 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm

One other thing. They said they don't quote by the pound but by cubic feet. I know some of you don't like this form of quote but I know how much stuff we have since we just moved 5 months ago. It will definitely fit in a 10' truck (if I were moving it myself) which he said was the same cubic feet as what their minimum quote is for.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu May 24, 2007 6:31 pm

lakeview - no way. It doesn't really matter whether you think it will fit into a 10' truck - they won't pack it tight or right and you're in for their ride. You need to find a company in NH, not California, and have them review your belongings....

Stay off the internet to find a mover - use the internet to research your mover instead. That is the real value of utilizing the internet...
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 24, 2007 6:34 pm

And it does not matter what WE like or don't like, the fact is that an interstate move based on Cubic Feet is illegal. The only way it can be done is if it's a Binding Quote, and then most movers doing that will only honor a Binding Quote if they did an in-home estimate.

More on this company in a moment...

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 24, 2007 6:37 pm

Do you have a website or phone for this company?

I can't find a license on them for California at all

Found a similarly named company with a REVOKED license:
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/tmis/det_MTR0189368.htm

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Big fat reason not to use them: They have no license yet. They will soon, but as of yet it's not been assigned (click on Pending Application to see). They can't be offering moves yet.

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

I'm not sure what "agents" in NH they'd use, are they acting as a broker?

The company was only incorporated on May 3, by a familiar name: Sandy Ateass (yes, that's really the name), Carrie is another Ateass that's come up in connection with scam movers.

Somehow they're already BBB members, showing the manager's name as Kari Attar (could be Carrie Ateass again?) and David Attar as owner.

Another location of A Professional Move in Van Nuys shows Carrie Ateass as President, so I think that confirms my suspicions in the last paragraph. I'm not sure why that report sends people to the Dallas BBB...

Then the website registration show yet another name. Who's this guy?
Domain Name: APROMOVE.COM
Created on: 14-May-07
Expires on: 14-May-08
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Modini, Guillermo maiagroup@hotmail.com
8950 W Olympic Blvd
Suite # 139
Beverly Hills, California 90211
United States
(310) 880-5238

And, to let you know what to expect from the old A Professional Move, click here:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3049

lakeview28

Postby lakeview28 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:01 pm

It seems everyone I get a quote from is turns out to be no good. I tried calling a couple of the "major movers" but their quotes are ridiculous! They quote me for either a minimum order (which is way more than I have) or they say it's because it's "the busy season". I honestly think it's a total crap shoot to find someone who is honest, fair, and will take care of your belongings. ABC Moving & Storage out of Hudson, NH (an Allied agent) will come out to give an estimate but I have to wait a whole week. I used their "ball park estimate" online but I don't trust it. The quote will probably be way more than that. We really don't want to rent a truck ourselves because with the fuel prices, it will cost us almost as much to hire someone. I guess our last experience has made me so paranoid that I don't trust anyone and don't know what to do now.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 25, 2007 7:34 am

I tried calling a couple of the "major movers" but their quotes are ridiculous!

Their quotes are not ridiculous, their quotes are REAL. The other guys are giving you artificially low prices to snatch your business. Imagine if two car dealerships right next to each other were offering the exact same year and model Cadillac, with all the same trimmings. One gave a price of $45,000, and one was offering to sell it for $20,000. Too good to be true? Yep. The real costs have to be made up somewhere, and that usually happens once they've got you by the you-know-whats.

Same situation for moving. It costs a lot of money to perform interstate moves, it just can't be done (and still pay taxes, wages, gas, tolls, truck leasing, insurance fees, license fees) for those bargain-basement prices scammers offer.

So if the minimum loads are more than you have, then you need to start looking at the small-move alternatives. You can go with a container (like ABF's ReloCube or one of the many companies offering these boxes), or you can go with a palleting company (can't think of any specific names at this point), or, you can sell off all the furniture you have and mail the boxes to yourself.

Please, don't get schnookered by false promises.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri May 25, 2007 9:38 am

Well Said MM....the 'real movers' make about a nickel on the dollar, in a good year, and they have to charge more than their costs are, and they do it up front, while the scammers do it once they get your stuff on their truck. Then they charge anything they want.....

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 am

It seems everyone I get a quote from is turns out to be no good

Can you define what you mean by this? Where are you getting these quotes from??

I tried calling a couple of the "major movers" but their quotes are ridiculous!

I think MM said it best, but something needs to be added: Moving is not an inexpensive proposition. To have someone come out, have someone pack all of your belongings, someone loads them on a truck, have a driver truck your belongings to the new residence, have people unload your belongings....well, it's a lot of labor and a lot of money. The scammer lures you in with a low quote and once he has your belongings, the price jumps up to an amount exceeding what you called "ridiculous".

lakeview, if you have less than the minimum for a full-service, you might want to try ABF or BE (you pack, they drive). I suspect the minimums might be small enough to fit your requirements and the cost would be less than that of a full-service mover.... The only thing you wouldn't be doing is the driving which you stated you didn't want to do.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

lakeview28

Postby lakeview28 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:23 pm

I want you all to know I appreciate the advice, I really do, but with all do respect, I have moved before and know what a ridiculous quote is. I know how much it cost me to move here and I have less stuff going back. If what you say is true about the big movers quotes being real, then how come the big discrepancy between them???? I've had quotes from them that range over $1000 from the low to high end! They are all in the same business and would relatively have the same expenses. And by the way, if they weren't making money at moving, they wouldn't be in the business! Don't let people fool you when they talk about how expensive it is or they "only make a nickel on the dollar". Basically what you are saying is for a $4000 move, they are making $200? They wouldn't be able to stay in business for that. Again, I appreciate the help but there has to be someone reputable that isn't part of the "big movers" who will move someone with less stuff. I will look into using ABF but will have to rent a truck just to get my stuff there because they can't get a trailer to my location. It never ends...

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri May 25, 2007 1:46 pm

I understand the major movers quotes being $1,000 different, but you have yet to have someone come to your home to do a visual quote. Until you take that step, none of these ballpark quotes mean a thing.

Can you rent a Ryder and do it yourself? Or do the ABF relo cube, and hire a local mover to shuttle it from the terminal to your home?

And making $200 on a $4000 interstate move is exactly correct. After paying drivers and salesmen, that's just what an agency retains to cover their overhead. That's the business!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri May 25, 2007 2:00 pm

Lakeview, you sound like a nice person, good luck, and please come back and tell us your results. Even if the result is bad, maybe you can help the next person not make the same mistake.

Return to “Open Community”