Metropolitan Moving, Rockville, MD

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
UofC95

Metropolitan Moving, Rockville, MD

Postby UofC95 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:28 pm

Hello,

First, thanks to all of the volunteers. I'm new to this forum, but I did search for Metropolitan Moving and didn't come up with much because it is a newer company (4 years). Typically I would go with a more established company that people on this forum were more familiar with, but I wanted to get opinions on this company because to date they have impressed me with their professionalism and their customer centric approach. I got an inhome estimate today and they appeared competitive (at this point, I've only gotten one other estimate).

Details:
MC #: 513588
US DOT #: 1326082
Tel #: (301) 279-0090

My Move:
VA to Atlanta, GA

Positives:
- Participating service provider of the Long & Foster Home Service Connections (not sure if this is a valuable, but I would think L&F would have quality thresholds before letting a mover participate).
- Use only their own trucks and movers (i.e. the same 3 movers would load me and unload me within 1-2 days).
- Would not share truck space with another move.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this mover. Other movers I am considering (Olympic Moving, JK Movers, Von Paris).

Thanks,
P

farrah7031

Re: Metropolitan Moving, Rockville, MD

Postby farrah7031 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:37 pm

Actually, they've only been licensed since 04/2005 (2 years) to do interstate moves.

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:40 pm

They've had no complaints at the BBB, which is a good thing. It states their company opened on 10/2004 - so that means the company is only 2 1/2 years old, not 4.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 29, 2007 1:46 pm

They are not 4 years old, they are 2 years old. They use drivers that are not CDL-certified, or continues to use them after they've been disqualified for some other reason. And their oldest inspection failure happened before they had received their license to move, meaning it was an illegal job. MD does not have state licenses, they require all movers, even local ones, to have an FMCSA license. The violation in question happened in March 2005, they received their license 6 weeks later. I'm not saying they're a scammer, just that the others you mention I think can give you better service.

Also, (this is not a negative, just a so-you-know) they have a Contract license rather than the more usual Common license. The only difference is that a Contract license does not require Cargo insurance, so you HAVE to buy additional insurance. Factor that into the cost of the move.

What is the wording in the estimate?

The other three movers you list all have good reputations. Their quotes, JK's expecially, will be a bit higher than MM's. My personally feelings of quality (and only because I don't have as many reviews on one mover as the other) is the reverse order in which you listed them.

UofC95

Postby UofC95 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Thank you both for your responses. MusicMom's response certainly has me more hesitant to use MM. The wording on their estimate is:

"This estimate covers only the articles and services listed. It is not a warranty or representation that the actual charge will not exceed the amount of the estimate. Common carriers are required by law to collect transportation and other incidental charges computed on the basis of rates shown in their lawfully published tariffs, regardless of prior rate quotations or estimates made by the carrier or its agents. Transportation charges are based upon the weight of the goods transported, and such charges may not generally be determined prior to the time the goods are loaded on the van and weighed. No guarantee can be made as to the specific dates of pickup or delivery of your shipment, unless you make special arrangements with the carrier for expedited service, for which an additional charge will normally be made."

The language above makes me even more hesitant. Does anyone have any other suggestions for other movers (other than Olympic, JK or Von Paris) I should consider for an interstate move originating in Northern VA? Thanks again.

P

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 29, 2007 2:38 pm

That's typical wording for a Non-Binding estimate. You'll be charged what the actual weight of your load is, whether it's higher or lower than estimated. They best type of estiamte for a consumer is a Guaranteed Not To Exceed quote, which is kindof like a blend of a Non-Binding and a Binding (no price change nomatter what). It sets a price cap like a Binding Quote, but if your load actually weighs less, you'll pay for the actual lower amount. You can safely budget, and most consumers end up paying less after the weighing.

Why do you not want to use Von Paris, JK or Olympic? Are any of these the ones that have come to your home besides MM? You can also try Moyer & Sons, Hilldrup, and a couple other van lines agents, but they'll all the the same as the first three.

UofC95

Postby UofC95 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:02 am

Thanks again. I don't have anything against using JK, Olympic, or Von Paris. In fact, I've used Olympic twice for local moves (one with outstanding results and once with above average results). I just wanted to explore all of my options. I've had an estimate already from Olympic which seemed competitive and I'm getting one from JK today. Should I be focusing on local movers who would be moving me on its own truck and without being packed with other moves? Clearly not having to wait 5-7 days for your stuff would be convenient and there are definite advantages to having the movers who load your stuff be the ones who unload. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

P

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 30, 2007 9:35 am

I'm not sure what the norm is for a move from DC to GA. If you're able to, you could pay for a dedicated truck with any mover, and they may send a smaller truck to your move.

How big would you say your house is? If it's a larger move, you might get that anyway, or at least take up most of a large truck making your move the higher-priority. If it's smaller, you may have to wait that amount or pay for the dedicated truck.

JK is an independant, so your goods would not be given to any other movers. Olympic is (I believe) a Wheaton agent, so it's possible a Wheatso agent would drive the trailer and another crew would unload it, and the same for Von Paris (A United agent). But there's no guarantee.

You can aslo ask them about making it a Self-Haul.

Return to “Open Community”