*Need advice: NY to CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BronxDoc

*Need advice: NY to CA

Postby BronxDoc » Thu May 31, 2007 9:17 am

Firstly, I want to say thank you. I have been using this site to do research on my up-coming move NY to CA and this forum has been amazingly helpful.

I was hoping for some more individualized help now that I have 4 estimates.

Moving from Bronx, NY to Bay Area, CA (leaving tomorrow 6/1 to CA to find an apt, either in SF, Oakland or Berkeley areas):

1. Moovers (NY to SF):
wt est: 3,200lbs
cost: $3,678 (i'm assuming this is a binding estimate, not sure? I need to call them to inquire) Also of note, this was the first est. I received, so I wasn't sure of my inventory, especially when they asked how many boxes. But as you'll see below, the weight est seems about right in comparison to those who came to the apt and took inventory. I don't know if this includes shuttle cost, I think not since it's not included on the estimate.

2. Boyer-Rosene Bekins "Physician Relocation Service" (NY to SF):
wt est: 3,297lbs
cost: $3,768 (also have to call to ask if this is BINDING/NON-BINDING as it doesn't say on the estimate. They are offering insurance of $20,000 Full Replacement Valuation with no depreciation and no deductible at no extra cost, I think that's good, right? cost includes Bronx shuttle cost of $952)

3. Dahill (Mayflower) (NY to Oakland, CA):
wt est: 2,700lbs
cost: $3380 BINDING Estimate
(includes Bronx shuttle cost of $1288 - 62% (whatever that means)=$489.
Of note: Jay Medina who came to the apartment to give an estimate was great, very professional.

4. V. Santini (Atlas) Westchester (NY to Oakland, CA)
wt est: 2,632 lbs
cost: $3,702 NON BINDING Estimate
(includes Bronx shuttle cost $824)
Of note: Joe, who took the apartment inventory was also very professional and very thorough, walked me through the process step by step, explaining as he went along.

Any advice, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Two areas that I'm still confused about are 1. Binding vs non-binding, which is better? 2. insurance issues in general.

Thank you so much! :D
Denise

MusicMom

Re: Need advice: NY to CA

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 31, 2007 10:07 am

Ask Moovers if they have anyone in NY that can do a visual and confirm your inventory. If they can't it's not a huge deal in my book, Moovers is one of only a couple companies that I trust to stick to their word about over-the-phone inventories, only because of past customer reviews. You do want to check on whether or not it's Binding, Non-Binding, or Guaranteed-Not-To-Exceed.

Boyer-Rosene: Is this a corporate program they have? if so, corporate moves sometimes get better treatment because they really want to keep that account (not saying movers dump on individuals!). However, if their estimate doesn't stipulate what type it it, it's probably Non-Binding. See if they can make it GNTE or Binding.

The shuttle charge for Dahill means "the full tarriff price of $1288, at the currently-offered discount of 62%, for an estimated price of $489. Full Tarriff Prices are absolutely ridiculous, and the discounts shift to reflect supply and demand, competition, and busy seasons.

See if you can get Santini to make thier estimate Binding or GNTE also. Binding Estiamte means the price won't change nomatter what, not up nor down. Sometimes the load won't even be weighed, because it won't affect the price. GNTE is a blend of Binding and Non-, it sets a cap like a Binding Price, but if your load is actually smaller you'll pay for the actual weight. Sometimes movers will add a few hundred pounds when changing to a GNTE, jsut to keep themselves safe, but usually it's lower and the cusotmer saves some money. Non-Binding, you pay for the actual price be it higher or lower than estiamted. Least safe for you.

Diane

Re: Need advice: NY to CA

Postby Diane » Thu May 31, 2007 10:43 am

Rule out Boyer-Rosene (see listing under "Illinois"). Bekins as a van line is best avoided if possible.

If Moovers can move you, that is your best choice quality-wise. The others will register your move with the van lines whereas Moovers will do a point-to-point self-haul. I would go back to Moovers with your revised inventory list and tell them what Dahill and V. Santini have estimated as the probable weight. They may come down on their price. Also remind them that you will need a shuttle. They usually give a low estimate and a high estimate for both weight and price, and the high estimate is a Binding Not to Exceed where your price will not be more but can be less if your weight is less.

If the Moovers quote is too high for you, then I think the other two are probably about equal in quality but Mayflower/United is probably somewhat better than Atlas as a van line. I'll add your remarks about the good sales reps to the Superlist.

Note that just having a quote from Moovers doesn't mean that they can actually move you. They are getting booked up so don't delay in getting back with them if you want to choose them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Re: *Need advice: NY to CA

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 31, 2007 11:28 am

Dahill Mayflower, no brainer....theirs is the lowest quote, by far, and its binding and they made a visual.......And the main thing, Mayflower is part of the United/Mayflower group, the most respected name in the moooving business.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:24 pm

I agree with Archie. Just make sure that the Dahill estimate is a Binding Not to Exceed (Option C) quote.

I'm curious about how you got linked up to this Physician Relocation Services. Who or what are they? Those "affinity program" offers are often nothing to write home about. Bekins would probably use White Glove (Bekins) in Queens as the origin agent, a company of marginal quality. See the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BronxDoc

Postby BronxDoc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:18 pm

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice!! We decided to go with Dahill (Moovers was no longer an option). And now I have a few more questions:

1. They have placed a value of our shipment at $20,000 (based on weight). They are providing full replacement coverage w/ 3 different deductible options: $0 deductible at $232; $250 deductible at $162; and $500 deductible at $128. How do I decide? I think I should do either the $0 or $250 deductible. Any recommendations? advice?

2. In regards to payment options, they said I can pay cash or cert. check on delivery... but if we pay by credit card they will charge us 2 days BEFORE the move. I would prefer to pay by credit card, but not if they are going to charge before delivery. Is this the usual procedure?

Diane, regarding the Physician Relocation service, I received a flyer in my mailbox at clinic advertising that Bekins offers this service. They know that every year at the end of June medical residents are moving upon finishing their residencies. I honestly don't know any other details, except they offered a discount and said that many doctors use their service and thus they are trustworthy, but I can't be sure how true that is.
When I asked for references from previous clients, the salesperson dodged the request.

Can't tell you how appreciative I am for your help.
Denise

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi - glad the site was helpful to you. I think someone actually took Bekins up on the Physicians offer last year but didn't come back to report. However, I personally would never recommend it. Pass it on to the other residents.

1. The moverpros here usually recommend that people go for a zero deductible. I think it would be well worth the extra money for peace of mind and avoiding a hassle if something goes wrong.

2. Charging the credit card before moving day, or at least putting a hold on the funds, is SOP. See this post and the ones following for a discussion of the issues - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 8872#88872
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about it you do it and I would do it myself, trying to get miles.

BronxDoc

Postby BronxDoc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:20 pm

Okay, thanks Diane. My preference was the $0 deductible, so it's nice to know that you recommend that choice.

I also feel better about the credit card payment option.

Can't thank you enough!

My move is scheduled for 6/23/07. I'll let you know how it goes.
Denise

Return to “Open Community”