Small Instate Move (CA)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Phil

Small Instate Move (CA)

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:40 pm

I am moving my half of a 2 bedroom apartment from Menlo Park, CA to Pasadena, CA about two weeks from now. There's not that much stuff but it is more than I can handle myself. So, I am hiring a moving company. Cost is not huge factor since I get some allowance for relocation from my employer.

I've gotten estimates from Ace Relocation (Atlas, San Jose) and Corovan (North American, San Jose). Both have estimated that I have around 1700 lbs to move. However, they have minimums. The quote form ACE is much larger than the quote from Corovan because ACE's minimum is 3500 lbs while Corovan's is 2000 lbs.

I am tempted to go with Corovan because of the huge difference in price and a friend of mine had a good experience with them also moving from the Bay Area to the LA Area.

Any thoughts or tips for finding a mover for small moves?
The other consideration is that I'd like to minimize the delivery window spread.
Last edited by Phil on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Re: Small Instate Move

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:46 pm

If you want to minimize the delivery, ask both companies what their deliveries would be, based on those minimums. My gut feeling is that you'll need a 3500 or 5000 minimum to get a good delivery window.

sjsjc

Postby sjsjc » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:06 pm

I am planning to move furniture the reverse of yours (from Pasadena, CA to San Jose, CA). May be we could as for a better deal together if that works

SJ

Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:14 am

Nancy: I'm not sure what you mean. I will be paying for the 3500 or 2000 pound minimum. Are you suggesting that I get 2000 pounds of dead weight to add ti my move and then I'll still pay about the same and the delivery window will be smaller?

sjsjc: I don't think combining the two moves would reduce the cost. The moving companies already arrange for the trucks to be full in both directions. Your thread says the quote to move only your bed is $1000. My quotes are ~$770 for moving 2000 (or less) pounds with Corovan and ~$1600 for moving 3500 (or less) pounds with Ace Relocation.

Diane

Re: Small Instate Move (CA)

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:18 am

Phil,

I think Nancy is saying that you may have a long delivery time with Cor-o-Van. However, their price is good and personally I would go with them, providing their estimate regarding delivery time is satisfactory to you. These small moves are absolutely among the most difficult situations that we deal with on this messageboard.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:07 am

If you move on a 2000 lb minimum your spread might be 3 - 5 days. on a higher minimum the spread is shorter.

It's easier when you move with a van line agent, though, because it takes them less time to fill out a truck than a smaller company in most cases.

I'm familiar with both those Bay Area companies, and which ever you choose should provide the service you agree to.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:33 pm

Ace says the delivery will be made 2 to 10 days after pickup. 8 days seems like a pretty big window.
Corovan has not gotten back to me with the delivery spread yet.
A 3 to 5 day window seams more reasonable to me.

What do you mean by move with a van line agent? Corovan is an agent for North American and Ace is an agent for Atlas. Should I be looking at others?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:34 pm

The delivery window is tied to the size of your move. So if you pay for a higher minimum, you will get a shorter delivery spread.

For 3 to 5 days, you may need to pay for expedited service with 5 to 6,000 lbs.

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:51 am

Corovan still has not returned any of my phone calls or emails inquiring about available pickup dates and the delivery spread.
This is starting to worry me.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:48 am

Unfortunately, you are doing a small shipment on a tough to service route, at the busiest time of the year.

Since Corovan isn't returning your calls, you might just ask Ace what it'll take to get a quicker delivery. I really think you will need to pay for a higher weight minimum to get that corresponding weight's delivery schedule.

On average, a 5000 Lbs shipment can be delivered in 3 to 5 days. I'm not surprised by their 8 to 10 days for 2000 lbs. It takes about 20,000 lbs to fill a trailer, so they will spend a lot of time in the Bay Area trying to fill it.

Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:15 am

I got tired of trying to get Corovan to return my calls and emails. So, I'm going with Ace where I pay for 3500 lbs and the delivery window is 2 to 20 days.
Once the move is over and I get internet access setup, I'll report back on how it went.

Nancy: Since this is the busiest time of the year, I'd expect it would be easier to fill the trailer.
What do you mean by tough service route? San Francisco and Los Angeles are the biggest metro areas in the state. I'd think that there's a lot of traffic between them.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:54 am

Phil,

It's tough because of your size of shipment. Usually it's full households moving, and they want a one day load, one drive, and one deliver.

So it's very hard to consolidate tonnage, and there aren't a lot of small ones. Small shipments are very challenging!

Obviously CorOVan didn't have great tonnage to go with it, so instead of being honest, they just didn't return the calls.

Ace is a great company! Definitely let us know how it goes.

Phil

Re: *Small Instate Move (CA)

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:21 am

I want to let you all know how it went. Unfortunately, it did not go as well as I'd like.

According to ACE the weight ended up being over 3900 lbs. This seems unusual since both estimators said it should be about 1700 and I don't have that much stuff. However, since the estimate is not to exceed, there was only a small increase in charges which seems to be due to extra packing.

My stuff was delivered on the 6th day after pickup. I called on the 4th day and told it would be the 6th day's afternoon or the next morning. Then I did not get any updates until about what ended up being two hours before the truck arrived on the 6th afternoon. Luckily, my workplace is a 10 minute walk away from my apartment.
The truck arrived at about 4 pm and the crew had done a delivery earlier in Santa Barbara. They apparently had started their day at 4 am in San Jose. It was warm but not unusually warm for a summer afternoon in southern California.
My apartment building is designed so that they needed a long carry from the truck to the elevator and then another long carry from the elevator to my apartment. In trying to minimize trips, they stacked my stuff pretty high. Some boxes ended up being partially crushed and the bottoms of some boxes were damaged by a hand truck being slid under them.
However, the worse part is the damage to my furniture. I think one bookshelf had been damaged before unloading. The top was broken off. During the unloading process, I saw one of my chairs fall off the top of a stack. The seat came off but they reattached it. The corner and a wheel were broken off my TV stand. The corner of my bed frame was damaged and now it doesn't hold together anymore. The TV stand, bookshelf, and bed frame are all unusable and I've filed a claim for them.

So, overall I'd say my experience with moving companies did not go so well. One didn't return my calls and the other damaged my stuff.
It probably would have be cheaper and easier to sell or donate all my stuff and buy new things after moving. Unfortunately, my company relocation allowance doesn't cover that.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:12 am

Wow, how can two estimators be that far off? You didn't add anything to the load at pickup, did you? Thank goodness for GNTE estimate, but I bet the movers aren't happy.

Are any of the damaged pieces made of pressboard? That could affect the claim and possibly explain the damage.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:50 am

Phil, let us know how the claim process goes so we can include it in your review of Ace for the Superlist. Sorry about all this. MM is correct that particleboard pieces may not be covered.

I am surprised by Ace's claim that your things weighed 3900 pounds (for half of a 2BR apartment), but as you say, since you had a GNTE it didn't matter. Maybe Ace just had to put down that weight for bureaucratic reasons since they have a 3500-pound minimum.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”