Small move from NYC to Paris

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
stella

Small move from NYC to Paris

Postby stella » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:51 am

Hi everybody,

We have a small load of about 175 cubic feet (5 square meter) to ship from NYC to Paris. Mostly books, clothes and kitchen stuff. Only a few small pieces of furniture.
We already got some quotes from several companies but I really do not know who to trust and what to ask.
Does anybody have recommendations for a company for this move?

Also, is it better to pack ourselves or to have the company do the packing? Does it increase the volume when they pack?

Thank you for your advice

stella

hardatwork

Re: Small move from NYC to Paris

Postby hardatwork » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:55 pm

It is always best to ask your mover the question concerning packing yourself. There could be key insurance coverage issues if you pack yourself.

Typical when a mover packs there could be a little variance than if you packed yourself. Not enough to cause a great increase in your overall costs on your move.

We recommend the following 4 companies for international moves:

Southern Winds International
FMC #004185F
Contact Michael Gilbert
at 800-570-7715 or 760-940-1760
www.southernwindsinternational.com
1020 S. Santa Fe Ave. Suite #C
Vista, CA 92084 – U.S.A.

Sterling International
FMC #020009F
Contact Phil Aeschleman
at 800-989-2198
www.sterlinginternational.com

Stevens International
FMC #004421F
Contact Ms. Jill Lickey
at 800-316-1065 or 260-244-7004
www.stevensworldwide.com
155 Diplomat Drive, Suite D
Columbia City, IN 46725 - U.S.A.

Rainier Overseas Movers
FMC #009364N
Contact Doug Wiviott
at 800-426-9928 x220
www.rainieros.com

All four handle moves from New York to Paris and should be quite competitive on your move. You can also read the reviews of their previous moves for consumers by following this link

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987

Good luck with your move and please come back if you have any additional questions for the forum.

stella

Postby stella » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Ok,
Thanks for the info. I got several quotes from people calling after my wife put our information out on the web, plus a couple that I requested directly. I am still waiting the hear on a few of the guys that you recommend here.
All quotes are for 200 cubic feet door to door and include packing. They do not include a charge for the stairs (5th floor walk up).
Here are a few

- The lowest price is Tober Logistics at $1650 but some fees are not included like Port fees and they ship via Amsterdam. Stairs seem pricey at 35 cents per cubic foot per flight.
Also they don't seem to have a good reputation on your site.

- Schumacher Cargo logistics ask for $1965. Everything included (even the stairs!)

- EOM shipping ask for $1650 but they don't pack (but they walk up and down the stairs for free). Also a lot of things don't seem to be included at the port of destination. not clear.

- SouthernWindsInternational ask for $2185 not including the charge for the stairs. otherwise this is all inclusive.

more companies sent us quotes but they are for different cubic footage and I won't bother asking for a new quote (Global Ocean Freight, PriceBreakShipping, transglobalmoving, Omega Shipping, IntlMove Inc.)

So far the most inclusive for the best price is Schumacher. I think I will ask them tomorrow to come check out our stuff for a visual estimate.

Seems right?

Thanks
Stella

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:15 am

EOM and Tober should go, just on reputation alone. EOM was blatantly fraudulent at the beginning of their career, and cannot be trusted at all. Tober is a legit company that just has some problems.

Southern Winds is a great company.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:13 am

We suggest you get at least 2 to 3 in house estimates to compare the weight and volume estimates and the final costs

Do not accept a quotation from any international movers without them doing an in house estimate for you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:15 am

We have one positive review of Schumacher for shipping a very expensive car by air to Russia (where price was presumably no object), but I'm not aware that we have any reviews of them for shipping household goods, so they are sort of unproven in my mind. I believe they are affiliated with Marlog Cargo. See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Maybe you should call the FMC to see whether Schumacher or Marlog have any complaints.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

SteveNYCParis

Postby SteveNYCParis » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:03 am

Any follow up on how your move went? Hope all went well. My wife and I are about to do the same --

stella

Postby stella » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi Stella here giving you an interim update on our move.
We went with Schumacher. Our shipment was picked up at our place in NYC on July 11. It has not arrived to Paris yet.
We are hoping to receive it this coming week (August 27 on) but we are not so sure that it will happen. So far we haven't been kept much up to date by their partner in the UK (EuroUsa). (We were originally told it was going to le Havre but they finally sent it through London).
We will keep you informed soon and tell you if we made a good choice.

Stella (crossing fingers)

thethinman

Re: *Small move from NYC to Paris

Postby thethinman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:30 pm

You will get your goods. I use Eurousa for most of my small shipments to Europe. They do indeed route everything through London. The only disadvantage of going this route, is the transit time. Once they have enough goods going to France, then they will send out your shipment. This saves them money as it is not cost effective for them to just send down your small shipment by itself. It is so much cheaper routing your goods this way. If they sent the goods go Lehavre and used a French agent for delivery, your costs would have been much higher.

stella

Postby stella » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 am

Thanks. It is good to know that we can expect to recover our stuff.
On the other hand, we had paid for a shipment through Le Havre that was supposed to arrive to Paris in 5 to 6 weeks. This is now the 7th week and we still don't have a delivery date. Your comment makes me think that Schumacher decided to save some money after we had a deal.
Let us see if it makes it this week.
Stella

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:56 am

Stella,

If you paid for an LCL shipment direct to France and the mover sent it instead via a consolidated container to England than you were overcharged and should demand a partial refund of the charges your paid.

After the shipment arrives in France and is off loaded at the customs warehouse it is normally about 7 to 10 days to get the goods delivered to you, right now it is busy so it might take an extra couple of days.

It is much cheaper for the mover to move the cargo over England and deliver to you than a direct shipment to France. If you have it in writing that your shipment was to go direct to France demand a refund.

Do you have confirmation from the mover that your shipment has arrived into England, cleared customs, has been off loaded at the warehouse in England, and they are now just awaiting a truck to delivery?

I would be pushing both your mover you paid to deliver your goods to you in a timely manner and the agent in England to confirm the current status of your shipment and when you can expect a delivery date! Push Push Push! Squeaky wheel gets the oil!

stella

Postby stella » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi There, stella here. update at last.
Our boxes have finally arrived last week on Tuesday September 11. The movers were courteous and efficient. Everything is accounted for. There is no damage except a clay oven dish.
To recap: It took 2 months exactly for our stuff to go from NYC to Paris through London. Our movers are Schumacher Cargo logistics. They handled our stuff to EuroUsa in London. It cost us a grand total of $1865 plus tips (it's $100 less than the original quote because we packed ourselves. They provided the boxes).
The original quote called for 4 to 6 weeks (that was an oral commitment by Mark in NYC) and a transit trough Le Havre, a port in France (written on the quote). It took in fact 9 weeks and it transited through London instead of Le Havre. It was extremely difficult to get information from both EuroUsa and Schumacher. At first it went fast. Our shipment reached london in two weeks by July 28. But EuroUsa didn't contact us for customs paperwork untill August 20 (we had filled the French customs papers). When we pressed them they said they were going to send our stuff by August 25, only to retract a few days later. Then they kept saying maybe next week, maybe next week. Schumacher was not very helpful here until the second week in September, and then only through their office in LA (which is not easy to reach with 9 hours time shift). Faraz was the most understanding there. Thanks. If you have a problem call him.
From what I understand, EuroUsa was waiting to have enough goods to fill up a truck before sending it to Paris. Indeed, they came with a huge truck that was packed to the brim.
I also understand that Schumacher decided to save money by going trough London. Mark told us that it was the fastest way but I seriously doubt that. He was very angry when my wife told him that she was disappointed. Not what we were expecting! She was stressed because she had to start teaching and all of her books were in the shipment and seemed nowhere near reaching us.
Another thing. Schumacher gave us a quote for 5 cubic meters (Mark swore that we had at least that much when he came to our place in NYC). Mark said that he would not charge us more if it turned out higher. When we asked what about if it is less than 5 cubic meters, he dodged the question, several times, although he did say one time that they would deduct the missing volume. It turns out we only have 4 cubic meters and Mark would not hear about a revision of the price. I wasn't too surprised since they were cheaper than all the recommended movers here (but more expensive than all the disreputed movers here).
So what now? Should I go after Schumacher as hardatwork is suggesting? Should I call the French consulate in NYC to tell them not to recommend Schumacher (it seems that Schumacher is going after the French market, that would certainly not help)?
Nothing really bad here but clearly frustrated customers that feel like they haven't been told the truth, have been kept waiting without information and got there needed goods too late.
Thanks for reading my rant. Hope this can hep somehow.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:53 pm

Yes you should demand a partial refund for two reasons.

1. You only moved 4 cubic meters you should pay for only 4 cubic meters. Seems like you should get $ 379.00 back for that.

2. You paid a premium to go direct to France. You did not received the premium service you paid for. It should have taken two to three weeks from pick up to get the goods to the port in France and then two to three weeks to get to your residence. So 4 to 6 weeks not nine weeks. They saved costs by shipping the goods in a container to England then not paying the French port fees which are expensive and then a French delivery agent that are also expensive. In my opinion they save themselves a minimum of $ 200.00 in moving it over England rather than direct to France.

As a side note from what I heard this summer was very busy in Europe for movers, especially the month of August. I think you waited so long not for them to fill a truck but rather emptying all of the full trucks they had going out then to come back and fill the trucks again.

Return to “International Moves”