just moved from CT to Ohio--my experiences

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
newtoohio

just moved from CT to Ohio--my experiences

Postby newtoohio » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:07 pm

My husband and I just completed a 9400 lbs. move between southern Connecticut and central Ohio. I used this site to do research before booking my moving company and wanted to return with a quick summary of how things went in hopes that this info. could be helpful to others planning moves from CT.

We had three different companies come to the house to give us estimates--Siracusa, Joyce, and Stiewing. All three estimators were very nice and efficient and all three gave estimates within 1000 lbs. of the actual final weight. We decided to go with Siracusa because their total cost was lower than Joyce's and, although Stiewing had a lower initial price, they insisted on using a shuttle service from our city street to a larger truck parked elsewhere. Even though we got a permit to block parking in front of our house the day of the move and notified Stiewing of this, they refused to agree to send a tractor trailer and therefore would have added another $750 onto our costs. (BTW Siracusa was able to park a tractor trailer in front of the house without any trouble on move day.)

Siracusa sent 5 guys to load us on the day of the move. (We were self-packers.) They were all great and took excellent care with our things. Siracusa had originally given us a 5-7 day window in which to expect our belongings in Ohio, but they were actually able to deliver only 4 days later. Berger Columbus was the Allied affiliate that did our unloading. Though the crew was smaller and the day was very hot, they worked equally as hard. One of the young men accidentally damaged an armchair and showed us immediately what had happened and was extremely apologetic. I contacted Allied three days after the move and already have a check for the damages (less than two weeks after reporting the claim).

All in all, my husband and I were very pleased with our decision to use Siracusa. From free boxes and packing materials to friendly customer service in the office and among the movers, we had a very good experience with them.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Diane

Re: just moved from CT to Ohio--my experiences

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:11 pm

Thanks so much for this excellent review, which I'll add to the Superlist linked to below my name. If you see this, was this a company-paid move or did you pay for it yourself?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

newtoohio

Postby newtoohio » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:07 pm

Hi Diane,

We paid for the move and will be reimbursed for a small percentage of it by my husband's employer.

NewToOhio

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks. Yours will be the first review of Siracusa (Allied). Berger also deserves some credit. Do you know whether Siracusa moved your things using its own truck and driver or was it a driver from Allied Van Lines?

newtoohio

Postby newtoohio » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Our truck and driver were both from Siracusa.

NewToOhio

Return to “Open Community”