Do NOT USE King Vanlines or Moving Seagull LLC!

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
daas

Do NOT USE King Vanlines or Moving Seagull LLC!

Postby daas » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:30 pm

On 5/18, King Vanlines through Moving Seagull movers came to my home in NY and picked up my goods to move them to Houston with a pickup in New Orleans along the way of more of our stuff. The contract they gave us specified a drop-off date of 5/22. They eventually came on 5/25/07 despite my complaints and the incredible inconvenience this caused us - we would not have hired them if they would have been this late. The delivery date was all-important to us. When they eventually arrived, they only accepted cash and held my goods hostage until cash was given to them. I thought it was strange they wouldn't accept certified check or any other form of payment. I paid them $3500 in cash at that time. When my goods were unloaded I found that most of them were broken. My bed was broken, my dressers were broken, glass tabletops were cracked, bookshelves were broken. A valuable collection of action figures were broken. They were in a fool-proof clear plastic box that would have required a razor blade to open all the various layers of tape on them, I can't understand why there were broken while all these other boxes that weren't as secured were not. The mover commented that he knew these things were quite valuable as his friend had sold similar figures for $250 each. I estimate the loss to me was over $1500 on this alone. The movers also gave me 2 boxes of expensive clothes and items that were not mine. I suspected they were from another delivery. When I gave the boxes back to them to redeliver. They said they didn't care and wouldn't deliver them. I later saw that the Moving Seagull mover had gone through the box searching for valuables for himself. Additionally, I had broken tables and other furniture that was unusable. I also had an valuable box of tools that was stolen as well as missing pair of binoculars. Last, I had 2 expensive custom-made beds that had a very special set of fasteners that were missing and weren't delivered on the delivery date. I spoke to Jacob (Chico) who on that date: 5/25 said he would deliver them the next day - he never did. He said they were at the office. I then called the mover's numbers during the week because my entire family of 4 members since 5/24 had been sleeping on mattresses on the floor from 5/24 until 6/12, when they were finally delivered 18 days after the delivery only after I made considerable threats to report the movers to the BBB and other authorities. I called someone named Johnny (the movers would not give their last names and all had nicknames - Chico for Jacob etc) on 5/1 and explained my situation to him, he said he would send me a check for $200 for my trouble and time and missing bed bolts. I never received this money. The movers would periodically call and say they would drop the peices off and would never come until I called them on June 12th and told them I would pursue legal action. They are now refusing to pay me for my time and trouble and for my family sleeping on mattresses on the floor for almost 3 weeks while they refused to mail the parts and instead played some sort of game. Further, contractually, they were obligated to assemble my furniture, which they never did. I estimate my entire losses from this debacle at $2500. I have asked that we go to neutral arbritration and will be filing claims against their insurance. That said, the most important thing for me is that other consumer beware of King Vanlines and Moving Seagull and stay away from them and not give them any of your business. They are liars, thieves who rifled through their client's possessions searching for things to steal and destroy and they will attempt to be very clever in cheating and taking advantage of you.

farrah7031

Re: Do NOT USE King Vanlines or Moving Seagull LLC!

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Is this the Moving Seagull you're referring to?
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

King Vanlines is aka Moving Star California, who we've heard of before, unfortunately and is on our Blacklist:
http://www.movingscam.com/cgi-bin/BLRep ... compid=375

Did you purchase additional valuation/insurance? Otherwise you will only receive $.60/pound for your claim, unfortunately.

viper

Postby viper » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:22 pm

I wish I seen this post sooner cause my fiance wouldn't of used them.

My fiance was looking online for moving companies to move her stuff from California to Florida. Moving Seagull came back with a quoted price less than the others. It was going to cost $1,500 to move 69 boxes, a couple of bookcases and a computer desk. My fiance spoke with a guy named Donny at Moving Seagull. She asked him if using a Discover Card was a problem and he said not a problem. My fiance sent all the information to Moving Seagull and got a form letter back stating that Discover Card was accepted. On there website they do state they will take credit cards, certified checks, money orders, and cash.

My fiance went out to CA to be there for her son's graduation but also to be there for the moving truck. The moving truck came on 6/14 to pick up the stuff. The driver named Johnny said they won't take Discover but only Mastercard and Visa. My fiance told Johnny that she spoke with Donny at Moving Seagull and that he said that Discover Card wouldn't be a problem. Then Johnny proceeded to load the truck and drove away. My fiance called Donny again on the phone and he said that he didn't get anything back from accounting so he said there isn't a issue.

The moving truck was suppose to be here on 6/22 and they didn't show up. Didn't get no courtesy call or anything. In the afternoon on 6/23, Johnny called. He said that he won't be showing up till June 27th and again proceeded to say they only take Visa and Mastercard. Of course on Saturday Moving Seagull office is closed so there is no one to get a hold of. My fiance fired off a couple of emails to info@movingseagull.com and donnie@movingseagull.com. On June 25th my fiance did not get no replies to the emails she sent. She called the company and no one answered the phone. I can't believe they are not there on a Monday.

June 26th my fiance called Moving Seagull 3 times and each time they hung up on her. My fiance again sent a couple of emails with no response. On the fourth phone call my fiance finally got through to Donny and asked him what's going on. He proceeded to say they will not take Discover. My fiance told him that he put her in a bind and said everything was ok. Then told her to call dispatch to solve the issue. (Why should my fiance have to call dispatch, that's the companies job)

I fired off 2 emails, one to Donny and the other to the company. I told them if this matter is not handled in a timely manner that I will take this matter up with the state attorney's general office for California and Florida. That I will also contact the DOT and the BBB.

The moving truck is suppose to be here tomorrow, so will see what they are going to do. My fiance said if she don't get her stuff that she will be calling the Sherriff's dept.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:43 pm

I don't think yuo're going to be able to pay with that credit card. Have cash on hand, or a postal money order. Just get your stuff out of their hands before they find other things to charge you for. Yes, them demanding money in cash or else they'll drive away is hostage load, and yes, they told you one thing and now are ignoring it, but by now you've realized they just don't care. That's why you should pay them and get it over with. Get a cash advance, if you have to.

daas

Postby daas » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:13 pm

I posted the original post in this thread.

Almost 10 days after moving seagull said they would give me 200 dollars back, the check came. In the meantime my family slept on mattresses on the floor for 18 days.

fallfrthrn

Postby fallfrthrn » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:51 am

I am in the middle of the Moving Seagull nightmare as we speak. My story is not much different. They load your stuff.. tell you to pay by cubic feet because its cheaper than weight so they don't have to make the trip to the scale. Once they get your stuff they keep bumping your load. It was supposed to be here on July 19th and its now July 27th and no furniture.
Most of us make these interstate moves heading to new jobs and I can relate to the starting a new job under the pressure of no furniture. Hotel stay seems like an obvious answer but when you have an apartment you rented that you set a move in date for you don't want to lose a deposit there because you don't show up for move-in. You live trying to spend as little money as possible in case you need your cash to get your belongings released.
The very worst part is these people have no heart for returning your phone calls. Its all about how many loads they can book and which of their customers they can string along.
I will never use a mover again. I have used ABF upack it for an interstate move before and I chose not to this time. Largest mistake I ever made.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:47 pm

Fall, what does your original paperwork say, and did they have you sign anything else after pickup?

sinead0rebellion

Postby sinead0rebellion » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:23 pm

It is rather ironic because the same exact thing happened to me.. except its not over yet. Donnie from Moving Seagull booked my move and then after he got the credit card authorization... I never heard from him again! The movers were supposed to pick up on Jan 23 which was important for me because it was my only day off and I had to be out of the apartment on Friday. Well finally Sat afternoon they showed up. I filled out all the papers and told them the destination which was an apartment. Then they charged me $60 to tape some cardboard around my curio! So here it is today... Feb 18 and the mover calls to tell me he will be here in an hour. He said to make sure I had the cash and asks me how many flights of stairs there are... I said 1, as I put in the paperwork. He then tells me that there will be an additional charge for the stairs. I laughed and simply replied that "No there will not be." The movers have know about the stairs and PROMISED me there would be no more fees. Well we will see how this goes... 4 1/2 weeks for Delivery!! NO WAY!

JoWren

Postby JoWren » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi all,

I have a request for all of you who have been scammed by Moving Seagull. Please file a complaint with the DOT. Moving Seagull picked up my things on Aug. 28, 2007 and they are still holding them hostage in a storage unit in Houston Tx.

The more complaints the DOT get the better chance they will be able to do something.

I'm glad at least you all seem to have your stuff back, and I sorry about the damage. I am scared to see the condition of my things, if I ever see them again that is.

Thanks

BA

Postby BA » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:26 am

thay got u !!!

Return to “Report A Scam”