So Far So Good (VA to NC)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cakedesigner59

So Far So Good (VA to NC)

Postby cakedesigner59 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi all:
An update on our move from Manassas to New Bern, NC. We used United Hilldrup, and they were great (so far). Showed up on time, were very friendly, careful with our stuff. They delivered it exactly as they said they would. We made sure (after using this wonderful site) to get a NTE estimate. Our stuff came in under weight so we are expecting a refund of our charge...for some reason they charged the full amount on the estimate, and we have to wait 30 days for a refund of the overage. You'll be hearing from us if we don't get our refund. :)

The only complaint we have (and we won't make a big deal out of it) is that the movers brought their 7 year old grandson with them when they delivered our furniture in NC. He was full of energy, all over the place, bouncing off our furniture as they brought it in. My husband and I have little patience, I will admit. But we had to tell the movers that their grandson was in our house, unattended for over 20 mins by himself doing Lord knows what (he went in to use the bathroom and didn't come out). My husband found him in the guest bath trying to get the suds in the sink to go down, after using too much hand soap. He also took a hand truck and was running it all over our new plantings ($7,000 in brand new landscaping). My husband was pretty irked, but I didn't say anything because they were so nice, other than that.

I'll keep you apprised of the refund situation.
Thanks again for this wonderful site.
Robin

ArchieWhite

Re: **So Far So Good (VA to NC)

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:50 am

When your move coordinator calls you to see how it went, mention this grandson incident, and it will probably be stopped, thats not good. Too many things can happen to little kids around a moving job. I've heard of drivers bringing their wives girlfriends and dogs on the road, but never a grandson. My 3 year old grandson loves to come to my work and 'get in that big ol truck and blow that noisy horn' though, so I know it can be tough on grandpa not to be able to take him on the road.

cakedesigner59

Postby cakedesigner59 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:49 am

I had to laugh when I read what you wrote, "wives girlfriends dogs" because that sounds awfully crowded in one truck! hee hee

Acutally, the mover's wife is part of his team, so she was there, as was their dog. I forgot to mention that she "walked" her dog on our front lawn which was the first thing that made my husband mad.

Thanks for replying.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 am

I understand.....what sometimes is lost in translation is the fact that most long distance household goods drivers stay on the road for a long time,and quite often wives ride with them, help with the paperwork etc. Most of the nicer trucks have full walk in sleepers, showers, satellite tv, radio, etc, its almost like a RV, but it's home for them. I have no problem with a wife on the job with her husband, we have a few teams like that, it works well. But little kids is just not good, and was probably unknown to the drivers supervisors.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:54 am

The wife should have cleaned up after the dog (if I read your comment correctly), and the grandson definitely should not have been there. Please do mention these things to your move coordinator. Otherwise, the move seems to have been good and I'll add your review to the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”