North America Moving Systems

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dankatz

North America Moving Systems

Postby dankatz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:33 pm

Anybody have any experience with this company from New Jersey? They give an estimate based on CF, not weight.
Thanks,
Dani

Nancy

Re: North America Moving Systems

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:40 pm

They must have some active advertising! Second inquiry this week:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14047

dankatz

Postby dankatz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:59 pm

I was referred to them by moving.com. We decided to go with them because of the customer service and the reasonable estimate. It has both weight and CF (appx 7lbs/CF). They do say it is based on CF. Is that legal though? I read here that it is not - or at least it wasn't in 2005. I just don't know anymore who to go to! We are moving on June 26th.
Dani

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:05 pm

You need to drop this company if you value your sanity. Try to get your deposit back and rebook with ABF U-Pack at www.upack.com or Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net.

dankatz

Postby dankatz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:10 pm

But, I don't want to load my furniture by myself - I want somebody to do it. I am only moving 115miles, so driving it would not have been an issue either if I rented a truck. I just don't want to do the loading and unloading. Isn't that what moving companies are for??? Are there any honest ones????

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:11 pm

Where are you moving to and from?

dankatz

Postby dankatz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm moving from Hartford, CT to Boston, MA, approximately 115miles....it's a full three bedroom townhouse and I have a lot of junk unfortunately..

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Here is the list of movers in your area:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7579#57579

Unfortunately, this is very short notice during the busiest time of the year. For example, my company is booked solid until after July 4th.

I would call every mover on the list to find someone to do your move.

It's VERY unrealistic for a mover in NJ to do your move professionally. I'm sorry we had such bad news for you, but this is not a good company.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:19 pm

Yes, there are plenty of honest movers.

Thanks for the explanation of the length of your move - BE and ABF would not be appropriate for such a short move.

You could either rent a truck and hire loaders and unloaders from a high-rated company on www.eMove.com or start calling some of the full-service movers linked to below my name (scroll down to "Connecticut") that have good reviews and comments here. One or more of them might have room on a truck going toward Boston when you want to move. The listings for "Massachusetts" also have names of good companies you could use to unload (at the end). Gentle Giant and Marathon are very good, for example. But as Nancy says, it is VERY late and you may not have many options.

Look at your contract with North America to see what you have to do to get your deposit back and post the info here so others can help you.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:24 am

I DO like that they're at least honest about their "storage facilities". Check out the picture:

http://www.northamericamovingsystems.com/storage.html

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:30 am

Lordy me. :shock:

dankatz

Postby dankatz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:17 pm

I decided to call another company that is a member of BBB and was recommended by ctmovers.com. They sound honest and will do a inhouse estimate and charge by weight. They'll weigh the truck before and after they said.
Now, I have to figure out how to get my 20% deposit on the move refunded from the other company. Any suggestions? They said I need to cancel more than 7 days in advance which I feel is too long of a notice.
Dani

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:34 pm

They said I need to cancel more than 7 days in advance which I feel is too long of a notice.

Dani, it doesn't matter whether you think it's too long. The moving company could care less about your opinion. Their contract stipulates in writing the timeframe for your cancellation notice. If you don't do it within the time they say, you lose your money. The sooner you do it, the greater the chance you get your money back.

If you don't do it today, you're deposit will be lost. Do it now.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

dankatz

Postby dankatz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:41 pm

I never signed a contract with them, so my wife's argument is that they need to refund us. I somehow don't think that is true. I am going to pay $600 more for the same weight, but go with a reputable company. I just haven't gethered the strength to call and argue with them.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:57 pm

If you paid a deposit, you implicitly agreed to the pricing set forth by offering them consideration - therefore you have all of the elements of a contract without a written document. Gather your strength, request your deposit verbally and put your request in writing to them - FAX if possible with confirming letter by mail. Don't rely on a telephone call - they will deny ever receiving such a call.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Return to “Open Community”