Update: NY to CA with Dahill/Mayflower

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BronxDoc

Update: NY to CA with Dahill/Mayflower

Postby BronxDoc » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm here to f/u on my last post and to say thanks again for all your help/advice.

Today was the big move-day. Yesterday, by about 2:30pm I still hadn't heard from the moving co. to tell me at what time to expect the movers. I called the office, left a message and heard back from Susan w/in 30min letting me know that Vinnie, Willie and Dennis would be at my place by 9am the next day.

Previous to this, any questions that came up, the sales rep, Jay, always returned my phone messages and was always very helpful.

The movers called me at about 9am a little lost, but still ended up arriving about 9:15am. They were ready to get down to work, especially Vinnie, he was a moving machine.

I have 3 very large paintings that we had bought special boxes for over the internet with our other boxes. We were going to pack them ourselves, but Jay suggested I use special type of packing paper (forget what they're called) to protect the paintings before placing them in the boxes. About a week before the move I asked Jay if he could some how get some of this packing paper for me before the move day. He said no problem, they were $3/each and he would most likely have someone drop off a few when they were in my area. As it got closer to move day, I still hadn't received the packing paper. Jay said not to worry, he would make sure the movers brought some on the truck on move day.

Well, the first thing I asked Vinnie et. al. was if they had the special packing paper. They knew nothing about it. But they reassured me they would pack the paintings for me with tender loving care, so I wasn't so worried, although ideally I would have liked the special packing paper, but I couldn't complain about the fact they were going to pack it for me w/o charge.

I was happily surprised when I got a call from Jay saying that he heard about the packing paper not making it onto the truck, so he was in his car on his way to my apartment to bring the paper himself!!! On a Saturday morning, I was very impressed. He arrived just in time, and packed the paintings himself while the others finished loading the truck. Amazing! Great customer service!

As I said, the guys were really great, again, especially Vinnie. The driver, Dennis, seemed somewhat new at the job, and the others had to direct him a little; he was not as engaging as Vinnie and Willie at first, but warmed up to us by the end.

So, so far no complaints, on the contrary, I'm very impressed up to now. I'll keep you posted as things progress, and I'll definitely report back about delivery which will be in 7-18 days.

I am so grateful to everyone for their help in choosing a moving co!!! :D
Denise

BigLeeCalif

Re: Update: NY to CA with Dahill/Mayflower

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:50 pm

Welcome to California... I can't remember the girl who answers the phone at Dahill, but she has to have the thickest NY accent I have ever heard. I want to say her name is Gladys, but it's been a while...

I'm with a Mayflower agent in SoCal, and Dahill trucks visit our facility from time to time.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Re: Update: NY to CA with Dahill/Mayflower

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:42 am

From Dahill's listing in the Superlist:
The person who usually answers the phone at the company is Maria, who has been there for 33 years and is known as "the voice of Dahill." Personally I love her Brooklyn accent and others have told me that they have called her just to experience it.

Denise, was this a Dahill truck and driver set to move your things all the way to CA?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BronxDoc

Re: *Update: NY to CA with Dahill/Mayflower

Postby BronxDoc » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi Diane,
Yes is was a Dahill truck, but it was the shuttle truck only. Our belongings will be loaded onto a Mayflower truck tomorrow and then make it's way to San Francisco, at which point we will need to have another shuttle. It will not be the same driver.

Anything I should look out for or be aware of considering it's not actually Dahill doing the move? Thanks.
Denise

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:04 pm

No - it's fine; I was just curious because I didn't think the Dahill drivers did crosscountry moves.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:23 pm

They have to have a few Diane, especially during the summer. Each agency has to kick in a few to the dedicated fleet, and it's based on their bookings. Smaller agents can have as few as one in the fleet.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

BronxDoc

Postby BronxDoc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:11 am

Hi all,

Quick update regarding my move with Dahill/Mayflower... Well my husband and I did the cross-country trip (Bronx, NY to San Fran, CA) in about 5 days, leaving the Bronx about 4 days after Dahill loaded up our belongings and shipped it off. It is now day# 16 and I was told by Susan at Dahill that the ETA is for Wednesday 7/11 and that I should receive a call from the driver sometime tomorrow. I hope that's the case, cause my husband and I are tired of sitting and sleeping on the floor!

The original estimate quoted 7-18 days for delivery, and Wed 7/11 will be 18 days. What happens if they don't deliver by then?

Will keep you updated... thanks!
Denise

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:41 am

If your load is over the minimum, they may honor a delay compensation claim to cover your expenses incurred during your wait. No guarantees on that, as there are several factors to consider, but keep it in mind and ask about it should it go past 18 days.

Ohioan

Postby Ohioan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 am

I am moving from NYC to Ohio and have scheduled an estimate from Dahill by a guy named Chris Blank. I wondered how they charged you for the extras of moving from the city like a shuttle, long haul, stairs, etc. Did you feel comfortable with their insurance as well? Finally, did you get estimates from any other reputable movers that you felt comfortable going with if you didn't go with Dahill? I am thinking about Shea or the highly acclaimed Moovers, Inc.

Thanks,

Neil

BronxDoc

Postby BronxDoc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Ohioan,

see my previous post on 5/31/07 regarding the different quotes i received:

BronxDoc wrote:1. Moovers (NY to SF):
wt est: 3,200lbs
cost: $3,678 (i'm assuming this is a binding estimate, not sure? I need to call them to inquire) Also of note, this was the first est. I received, so I wasn't sure of my inventory, especially when they asked how many boxes. But as you'll see below, the weight est seems about right in comparison to those who came to the apt and took inventory. I don't know if this includes shuttle cost, I think not since it's not included on the estimate.

2. Boyer-Rosene Bekins "Physician Relocation Service" (NY to SF):
wt est: 3,297lbs
cost: $3,768 (also have to call to ask if this is BINDING/NON-BINDING as it doesn't say on the estimate. They are offering insurance of $20,000 Full Replacement Valuation with no depreciation and no deductible at no extra cost, I think that's good, right? cost includes Bronx shuttle cost of $952)

3. Dahill (Mayflower) (NY to Oakland, CA):
wt est: 2,700lbs
cost: $3380 BINDING Estimate
(includes Bronx shuttle cost of $1288 - 62% (whatever that means)=$489.
Of note: Jay Medina who came to the apartment to give an estimate was great, very professional.

4. V. Santini (Atlas) Westchester (NY to Oakland, CA)
wt est: 2,632 lbs
cost: $3,702 NON BINDING Estimate
(includes Bronx shuttle cost $824)
Of note: Joe, who took the apartment inventory was also very professional and very thorough, walked me through the process step by step, explaining as he went along.

By the time I was ready to make my decision, Moovers didn't have any availability, so they were out. I decided on Dahill since it was a binding estimate, the least expensive (although the total was more in the end because they had to add on a shuttle to the delivery as well , which was an additional $324) and Archie White's reply helped:

ArchieWhite wrote:Dahill Mayflower, no brainer....theirs is the lowest quote, by far, and its binding and they made a visual.......And the main thing, Mayflower is part of the United/Mayflower group, the most respected name in the moooving business.

As for the insurance, I had asked advise in this forum, and Diane suggested I take the $zero deductible, which I did, and I felt totally fine with that.

I was quoted a delivery of 7-18 days, and tomorrow will be day #18, and according to a Mayflower rep this am, the ETA is for tomorrow and that the driver should be calling me... I've been waiting all day for that call... nothing yet.

I think if I had to do it all again, I probably would have gone with Moovers, but ask me tomorrow and I'll tell you for sure. :wink:
Denise

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:58 pm

Let us know how it went, and let me know who the driver was. I just had a hilarious thought... Would be something if it was one of ours...

BronxDoc

Postby BronxDoc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:38 pm

Hi All,

Thanks to BigLee's help today I found out details about my Dahill/Mayflower shipment. Big Lee did some investigating and found out that indeed it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow 7/11!!! And that the driver, James, is in the area already (Hayward, CA).

As a matter of fact, I just received a phone call from the driver. He assured me my belongings will be delivered tomorrow, but was unable to give an exact time. He has to drive down to Palo Alto first to do a pick-up in the morning... and then he'll head back up to SF in the afternoon. It sounds like he still has to arrange a shuttle as well since his truck will most likely not be able to be parked on our steep street.

Of note, Jay from Dahill also responded to an email I had sent him asking for him to investigate the delivery date (this was before I got BigLee's help). He was apologetic about the delay and told me to email him my order# and he would look into it for me.

So, stay tuned... and keep your fingers crossed. I hope that my next writing in the forum will be to let you know that I'm sleeping in my own bed again!
:wink:
Denise

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:21 am

Lee, you're my hero! (*girly sigh*)

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:11 am

Aw MM you're gonna make me blush. I'm just doing my job. A happy shipper is my reward...

I just found out yesterday that I can access the United side as well. Our office in Phoenix is a United agent, and I got their signon passwords.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:26 am

Uh-oh! Big Brother's watching!

Return to “Open Community”