L.A. Times Investigative Report on U-Haul Problems

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
trothaar

L.A. Times Investigative Report on U-Haul Problems

Postby trothaar » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:51 pm

FYI, the Los Angeles Times is running a very comprehensive, three-part series of investigative reports this week on U-Haul and its shenanigans regarding the rental of faulty, dangerous equipment:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... ome-center

Diane

Re: L.A. Times Investigative Report on U-Haul

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Thanks for posting this - yes, this is a very important series of articles describing serious injury and death among renters of defective U-Haul equipment. Joe Shoen's behavior is also described in Part One of the series. I myself would hesitate to ever rent from U-Haul after reading this.

trothaar

Postby trothaar » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:43 am

I posted this here because I found this site so helpful during my two long-distance moves. I recommend movingscam.com to everyone who tells me they're getting ready to move.

Everyone who is thinking of using U-Haul should read these articles first.

I have had experiences with faulty U-Haul equipment as well. The last time I rented a truck from them, to move some stuff locally, it pinged and sputtered and smoke poured out of it, and I thought it was going to break down. That wasn't the first time I'd had a negative experience with this company. Thankfully, I was never injured.

Mods: Is there any way this link could be bookmarked or stickied somewhere, so it won't fall off the board and newbies will see it when they come here?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:58 am

I have made this post a Sticky.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:10 am

I also re-posted it yesterday in the Rental Trucks thread. Incidentally, by saying "Penske and Budget are good" in the title of that thread, we have always meant to imply that certain other rental companies are NOT good, but the message may be too subtle for some readers.

I am just afraid that the content of these three LA Times articles may disappeat from the Net eventually. Possibly Tim could convert them to pdf documents for permanent reference.

I know that "Fred0844" in Toronto has always been concerned about U-Haul and safety and I noticed that Toronto officials were quoted in one of the articles.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:19 am

Good info in that article.....Uhaul has a reputation for rough equipment, and maybe it's deserved, I have no way to say for sure, but I do know one thing......People towing trailers with cars ( or even trucks if they don't have experience) can get in trouble in a hurry. The folks last week that insisted they were going to go from New Orleans to Portland with a Honda Civic pulling a trailer illustrates the problem......you can tell them its a mistake, but they won't listen, so God help them. Wind, longer braking distances, turning clearances and even trees and awnings come into play when you drive a truck or pull a trailer.

Get this, even 18 wheelers are affected by winds on open roads, and they weigh 40,000 lbs, empty.

And since Uhaul is the only large renter of trailers, they get more inexperienced drivers, and they get in trouble doing something they should not be doing, pulling a trailer. It's not safe.

trothaar

Postby trothaar » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:08 pm

Thank you for sticky'ing this thread. Converting the articles to PDF's would be a good idea, as I know the L.A. Times plops articles into a paid archive after x amount of time.

I agree about most people not being able to handle pulling trailers, Archie.

U-Haul makes it sound as though anyone can just hook up a trailer to their car and go, and that is not the case. The skills needed to control a car that is hauling something are fundamentally different than the skills needed to control an unencumbered vehicle.

It is not something I would attempt. I know I do not have the skills necessary to do this safely. It's scary that college kids with five years or less of driving experience are out there attempting it. Combine lack of skill (and possibly driving experience) with faulty equipment, and it's amazing more tragedies don't occur.

RLLM2007

Re: L.A. Times Investigative Report on U-Haul Problems

Postby RLLM2007 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:29 pm

I had almost forgot until I saw this post. The move started when we rented a small U-Haul truck to move stuff out of a couple of storage lockers. The door on the back of the truck flew open on the road and a bunch of stuff fell out. With everything else that happened, I forgot about this segment of our move.

Nope, don't like U-Haul one little bit!!!

seasalt

Re: U-Haul Problems - a different issue

Postby seasalt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:29 am

In addition to the frightful safety conditions covered in the article, I recently had a different problem with U-Haul.

I am planning a move from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Seattle, Washington. The U-Haul representative I spoke with quoted me a maximum mileage of 2,540, which is LESS than MapQuest.com's SHORTEST route (2,650 miles.) When I pointed this out to him, he offered to meet MapQuest.com's shortest trip length plus 10%. If I hadn't already searched out this information, I would have been locked into paying them .40 per mile for the difference.

I said that I didn't want to take the "shortest distance" route as it wasn't very safe, and would require me to cross huge mountain ranges, including the Rockies (straight through Denver, the "mile high" city.) Having made this same trip by car about 12 times on various routes, I said that I thought it was much safer for me to drive the U-Haul truck west on I-10 across to LA and then cut north on I-5. It would mean fewer mountains to cross, but would be a longer route (3,000 miles.)

The U-Haul rep said I'd have to pay per mile for the difference.

Throughout this conversation, I felt that U-Haul was discouraging safety in favor of keeping the total mileage low.

If I am willing to take a little more time -- and pay more for gas and oil and hotels -- in order to travel more safely (avoiding climbing up and down the Rockies in questionable Fall driving conditions) then I would have been financially penalized by U-Haul, which seems short-sighted. Why send an unwilling driver at an angle through the Rockies and other western mountain ranges?

In the end, I declined them and am now planning to use NAVIS for my move and fly to Seattle. Calculating in the cost of gas, oil, tax, insurance, hotels, etc. if I drove, it will cost about the same and will be much less physically daunting.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:27 am

Good research on your part!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:06 am

With the Big Van Lines, full service movers discounts approaching ( or passing) 70% in the upcoming soft season, you will find that hiring a full service, professional mover, will cost about the same as moving yourself, whether you use Uhaul, PODS, ABF, BE or any of the glorified Do it yourself services. Think about it, pay the same as if you were doing it yourself, yet not have to do it yourself, a professional will do all the heavy lifting for you. What a deal.

Return to “Open Community”