Help! Bad Start with Star Van Lines (Encino, CA) regarding FVP, LBS/CUFT

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
suosuo

Help! Bad Start with Star Van Lines (Encino, CA) regarding FVP, LBS/CUFT

Postby suosuo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm a first-time mover, moving my stuff of an 1-br apartment from San Francisco, CA to Washington, DC. The movers from Star Van Lines just came yesterday evening and picked up my stuff.

I was in a hurry and didn't do much research before. One and a half weeks before moving, I asked Star van Lines for an in-house estimate, but they said that was all booked for the next two months. So I did an estimate over the phone and they emailed me the estimation. (Thinking back, it was clearly a lie since if they can have the movers to do the actual moving in 1 week, why they don't have people to come to do the in-house estimation?)

At this point, if it is not yet too late, I want to know what I can do to protect myself from futher scamming:

(1) They asked for $804 more than the estimate they gave, because of increased cubit feet of 134 at $6 per cubit feet. It is true that I have put more stuff than the estimation over the email. But still, how can I know that the extra stuff is 134 c.f.? That mover guy just eyeballed it, and after all the stuff are in their truck, I went there to look, but there is no clear measurement on the cubit feet there either, I had to believe what that mover told me (It was a pensky truck, and he said each volumn is from bottom to top is more than 100c.f.) My boxes (self-packed) took one whole volumn, and then other furnitures (they packed) took about two extra volumn but only half the height)

They didn't weigh my stuff at all either, can I still request them to weight my stuff after it arrives?

(2) The mover guy on the spot refused to provide me with FVP and claimed that they only provide basic rate "60 cents per pound", and that I should have purchased insurace from a third-party beforehand. I read the "mover's right" brochure and decided that must be something scammy there so I checked the box with the option of "FVP" on the paper, and wrote "high value article" besides the TV on the job list. But the mover insist on the basic option one and he wrote "60 cents per pound" on that line. I signed that paper at the bottom

My questions is can I still be entitled to the "FVP"? I have been calling Star Van Lines this moring and the "Lisa" woman still claims that they don't provide that "FVP" option, after my insistence, she told me her manager will call me to explain about it. I haven't heard back from them until now yet.

Any suggestion would really be appreciated. Thanks!!!

A Worried First-timer Mover

Nancy

Re: Help! Bad Start with Star Van Lines (Encino, CA) regarding FVP, LBS/CUF

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:02 pm

I'm sorry to hear you've gotten involved with this company. Do you have any idea WHAT company picked up your goods? Since it was a rental truck, I doubt Star Van Lines sent someone from Encino just to load your goods.

More likely, they brokered this out to a mover in the Bay Area. Did you get any clue on who it is?

suosuo

Postby suosuo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Nancy, thanks for your timely reply. Here is the first email I got from them: "Everything is carried and done by us we do not hire any brokers, carriers or sub-contractors. Please click on the follwing link to view companies that are or have been scaming consumers using the moving industry http://www.movingscam.com/blackList.shtml There is a Star Van Lines, however they are in Sunrise, Fl and have no connection to Star Van Line in California. Please let me know if you have any questions. www.starvanline.com Thank you, Sandy 866-722-0122"

Interestingly, they even recommended this website! I have the main mover guy's phone number, and both the two movers wore T shirts with Starvanline's name on it. And I talked with the main mover guy, and he said he had worked as a mover for 7 years, and has just joined StarVanlines 6 months ago(The company itself is new).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:10 pm

Well, after your move is done, the DOT can have a field day with all the things done wrong by Star.

:arrow: Cubic Foot estimate and billing method for an interstate move that changed, so it's not Binding-ILLEGAL.

You should mail them a letter (via Certified mail, Return Receipt Requested), and copy it to the DOT and FMCSA, asserting your right to a re-weigh at destination. Granted, you'll have to watch them weigh the full truck, pay them what they ask for, watch them deliver, then follow them back to the weigh station and hope they actually give you money back - if they don't just flat-out run off with what you just paid them.

Your priority is to get your stuff out of their hands at all costs. I think you should insist on the re-weigh, and do everything listed in the Rights and Responsibilities. Even if they do run off without giving you money back, or flat-out refuse to weigh it and just charge you that extra $804, just get it away from them.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:13 pm

I agree with MM, get your goods away from them. See if you can figure out what warehouse your goods are being stored in, and hire a mover to pull them out of there.

I just have a gut feeling that you've got bigger problems than wondering if you have FVP coverage.

When are they supposed to deliver?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:17 pm

All the phone numbers on their website have been disconnected, and the 866 number you listed above goes to a "conference line". Wait, I called it again, and got a woman who did give me their DOT/MC numbers (1583631/586362). I just wanted to verify this was the same Encino company Nancy was talking about, the ones that just got their license in 2007.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:22 pm

Their insurance is being canceled in July:

http://tinyurl.com/369lbo

Suosuo, MM may have more specific suggestions for getting your goods, but I would suggest a call to Move Rescue, www.moverescue.com

I'm having a bad feeling with this company. An insurance carrier doesn't usually terminate 4 months into a policy.

Their address on Safersys. Org is wrong too:
180134 VENTURA BL STE 258
ENCINO, CA 91316

That's not a valid address.

suosuo

Postby suosuo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:03 pm

I'm really getting extremely worried now, I just called the moverrescue and left a VM there.

The address is 18034 VENTURA BL STE 258, it seems to be a valid address.

For their insurance, http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... _name=STAR^VAN^LINES^INC&pv_pref_docket=MC586362&pv_usdot_no=1583631&pv_vpath=LIVIEW
It seems they just switched insurance to the second one, and that one is still valid, is it correct?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:55 pm

The insurance doesn't dump the mover, they must have just gotten a better rate from the new policy. As long as there is a replacement policy coming up...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:56 pm

18034 VENTURA BL is a mailbox place.

http://www.laokay.com/MailboxRental.htm

coolgabe

Postby coolgabe » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:58 pm

I cannot emphasize more and more to NEVER BELIEVE ANY MOVER WHO TRIES TO SELL YOU A MOVE BY THE CUBIC FEET..... It must be weighed, no excuses, no ifs, buts or butts.... just try to remember this first and important rule.... everybody.

CHARGING BY FOOT IS A RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:39 pm

It's too bad you didn't have the time to come here first. There are some top notch companies servicing San Francisco, and they all represent major van lines.

Vector Mayflower, Cunningham Movers (Arpin) Crown Worldwide (United)
Chipman (United and Mayflower) Golden Gate (Allied), and several others.

You mentioned that part of your shipment only took half the height. That is how you're ripped off on cubic foot moves... The driver is going to charge you whatever he wants, and there is no way for you to know how many cubic feet is actually used.

Van Line trailers have markings inside, and if you ever watch one being loaded you will notice that a driver who is a good loader will utilize every inch of that trailer.

I hope that your move has a happy ending. Make sure to document everything you do.

As much as you may be fuming inside, always deal with the movers in a polite and respectful manner. Remember that as long as they have your goods, they control the game. When your goods finally arrive, have as many people as possible present, so that the movers will be the ones who feel intimidated, and not you. Have someone in position so that when the truck doors are opened they can take pictures to verify that all the space you paid for isn't being used.

Document all damage before the crew leaves. If they refuse to sign, note on your paperwork their refusal.

Good luck
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

donatsts

Postby donatsts » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:58 am

ive also seen movers that can make the end of the load look like its full, but after taking down a tier or two the height will drop, id suggest posting someont to watch only (and stay there for 100% of the unload) at the rear of the truck with a camera.
don,owner of so cal moving company

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:19 pm

That might be true for scammers billing by the cubic foot, but legitimate movers charging by the weight is not going to waste time on that. Empty space equals less weight.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

donatsts

Postby donatsts » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:42 pm

im aware of this lee, my point was that the provider has already stated he was charging by the foot,and on top of that used this method to increase the price once already. so when the next guy gets there,possibly asking for still more money for bad estimates in cali, and also in an effort to verify the actual size of the shipment, personally i would watch every inch of the unload if at all possible. also how feasible will it be to insist on a weight prior to and after unload. like when guy calls to schedule unload direct him to the nearest scale before and after unload. maybe im looking at worst case scenarios lee, but this is where my comment was coming from.
don
don,owner of so cal moving company

Return to “Open Community”