*NJ to MA - University v. WOW v. ???

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
margaretmoves

*NJ to MA - University v. WOW v. ???

Postby margaretmoves » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm moving at the end of the month from New Jersey to Massachusetts and I'm just interviewing movers now (I know, I know, I'm late - habitual procrastinator. ;-) ). University Van Lines (Atlas agent) just came and gave me an estimate of nearly $6000 (!!) to move me - for a small three bedroom Cape (and I'm only moving one bedroom's worth of furniture - the rest I'm selling or giving away). It seems like a lot to me. Has anyone used University? Are they more expensive? I'm getting a quote from Wade Odell tomorrow - hopefully they'll be cheaper.

P.S. This is a GREAT website! Thanks so much.

Michael

Re: NJ to MA - University v. WOW v. ???

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:37 am

They both use the same tariff, so it will be based on what WOW estimates weight wise and services included minsu the discount.

So yes they could be the same.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:33 am

There is a whole review thread here with reports from people who have used University. If it is going to be a self-haul (i.e. if University is going to use its own truck and driver) I think you will be fine with them. WOW is also a very good company. See the Superlist linked to below my name under "New Jersey" if you haven't already looked at it.

Michael is correct that University and WOW are likely to be very similar in price since they are both van line agents using the same tariff. You might try calling the independent companies Shea Moving in Queens and All Star in Brooklyn to see whether their pricing might be a little lower.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

margaretmoves

Postby margaretmoves » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:05 pm

Thank you both so much for the info. I have checked out the state-by-state summary (which is so detailed and helpful); that's how I got the names for University and WOW. I'm still just really surprised by the amount - my parents moved (with United) from Jersey to Georgia and their move was roughly $4,000. I'll call the others in NYC and see if they're not any cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience with Moishe's or Delancey? I know they do a lot of NY moves, but I don't know if they do longer distance moves.

margaretmoves

Postby margaretmoves » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Just a follow up - University Van Lines estimated my move at 13,000 pounds, for a fee of roughly $5,800, while WOW estimated 8,500 pounds, for $3300! That's a huge difference, and Chris of WOW said that while United doesn't like to give binding estimates, he could personally guarantee that we wouldn't go over 10,000 pounds.

I called University to check on their quote, and the woman who answered the phone (I think Amanda) said that it was accurate as far as she could tell. So I guess I'll be going with WOW, although I have Shea Moving coming to give an estimate as well.

Thanks for your help!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:23 pm

margaretmoves wrote:Chris of WOW said that while United doesn't like to give binding estimates, he could personally guarantee that we wouldn't go over 10,000 pounds.

This is nice, but I don't think a verbal guarantee protects you enough. Could you ask him to give you a Binding Not to Exceed (Option C) estimate for 10,000 pounds? That will protect you better, and if he is right about the weight, you will pay less.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

margaretmoves

Postby margaretmoves » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Chris was very reluctant to give a binding quote. Is that a bad sign? Should I push for one? Has anyone heard of WOW over estimating?

Thank you!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:36 pm

I think you mean UNDERestimating. I'm not aware that anyone has ever said that, but if Chris is sure of his estimating skills, I can't see any reason that he wouldn't give you an Option C quote. Even if he would give you such a quote for 13,000 pounds, it would protect you better, because you would know that you would probably pay far less than the estimate. With a Nonbinding quote, there is no limit on what you could pay.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:20 pm

If he is now bubbling stumbling and so on in the words of the great Keith Jackson (football refernece ladies) then I would also question his estimating skills. And if he is so great at estimating, that is if he has skills, why is he going to 10,000 instead of the 8500 he estimated??????

I am not saying he low balled you, but 8500 and 13000 is a HUGEEEe difference. Why penalize the company that is high. If you liked WOW, ask him to quote you for 13,000 and then see where their price comes in.

The chance you run with such a huge difference is the driver protesting your move and then you being asked to sign an addendum agreeing to pay for the excess weight. And thats where the real fun starts.

And since he is heeming and hawing I dont know if I would give him a chance. In the summer of times be tough for van lines and some of these agents giving 70% discounts, I dont know why he would be back tracking now.

And I would skip Moishes.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”