*and its down to 3....

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tiffanysmovingtotexas

*and its down to 3....

Postby tiffanysmovingtotexas » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:10 pm

i have gotten estimates from university van lines, central moving systems, and wade odell wade. all three companies have been great and proffessional and helpful and i am having a hard time making a decision between the three.

university van lines: michael carolan was absolutely amazing and helpful and easy to work with. i even called his cell phone last night, and he talked to me for a while, just helping explain things to me...
he gave me an estimated weight of 3,600 pounds (rounding up)
and a not-to-exceed estimate of $2,807.00 (with a possible shuttle fee)
the only problem with them is that the window of time is 3-21 days which seems like a really long time to not have my stuff.

central moving systems: keith haszto was wonderful as well. he was very direct and explained the valuation thing to me in a really understandable way.
he gave me an estimated 3,800 pounds
and a "total estimated cost" of $2, 996.40 (including shuttle)
with a "110% total estimated cost" of $3, 296.04
he said that he should be able to work with me on the dates and put in a call yesterday about when i could get picked up...

wade odell wade: dick cooper came over this morning and was totally awesome. he gave me lots of tips and i felt like he was being super honest with me about everything...letting me know that if i packed the glass top for my table myself that i would save a bunch of money and that also i shuttle would definitely be needed to pick my stuff up from here.
he gave me an estimated weight of 3,400 pounds
and a "total non-binding estimated cost" of $2, 617.04
he didnt give me a not-to-exceed, but the 110% is 2,878.74--he said the only way i could pay more than this is if i packed something that we didnt go over on inventory...like a refrigerator or something.
and he also said--which is really nice--that whatever day i want to move out, he can pick me up that day. his window of time was 5-15 days, which i feel slightly more comfortable with.

so, basically all the estimated weights are the same...and the prices are relatively close as well. i am confused because i really liked all three estimators. i think what it will come down to is who can pick me up when i really want to be picked up.

does anyone have any suggestions/input?

Michael

Re: and its down to 3....

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:07 pm

University for the simple reason they gave you a not to exceed. Although the delivery spread is a little longer it has been my experience that they generally get it there sooner then the last days of the spread. There is a reason they have a longer spread then most majors and its to off set the delays that others see with shorter spreads.

best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

tiffanysmovingtotexas

Postby tiffanysmovingtotexas » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:26 pm

thanks michael.
the atlas wording for "not to exceed" is "assured price protection estimate" right??

also, wade odell wade gave me a "non-binding estimate" (im re-looking over my paperwork now) is that bad?

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:56 am

Yes, Atlas' not to exceed is assured price protection. There should be a box marked in the lower right hand corner on the order for service under the definition of binding.

And non binding means you pay for whatever your actual weight and services are in the end, not to exceed collecting 110% of the quote at time of delivery with an invoice for the remaining balance due which cant be invoiced for 30 days.

Their all close but I would go with the not to exceed. You can always ask WOW if they are willing to make your a Binding Not to exceed.
Michael

tiffanysmovingtotexas

Postby tiffanysmovingtotexas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:42 pm

i chose university van lines (atlas)! i am signing paperwork and getting everything all ready...but i have a question about the valuation. i was told that most people take the $250 deductible....my mom told me not to pick any...what do you guys think?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:10 pm

Definitely choose the zero deductible - that's what we advise everyone.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:25 pm

I agree, take the 0.
Michael

tiffanysmovingtotexas

Postby tiffanysmovingtotexas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:40 pm

thanks guys!

ejimenez410

Re: *and its down to 3....

Postby ejimenez410 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:32 pm

I am going to meet with University on Tuesday and was just reviewing your helpful posting. Question! What is the deductible all about? This moving buisness is completely new to me so I am taking a crash course in it through this website. THanks.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:11 pm

The deductible is the amount you will have to pay, in the event of a claim.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:38 pm

It's just like your car or medical insurance. You pay that much, the insurance pays everything above that. Lower deductible is better for you in case of an actual claim.

ejimenez410

Postby ejimenez410 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Gotcha! Just like a car. Thanks guys.

Return to “Open Community”