Julian's Van Lines

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Ohioprof

Julian's Van Lines

Postby Ohioprof » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:35 am

What kinds of experiences have people had with Julian's Van Lines out of Massachusetts? They came in with the lowest binding estimate for a move from Mass. to Ohio.

Thanks.

Nancy

Re: Julian's Van Lines

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:31 am

Do they represent an interstate van line? The majors would be United, North American, Allied, Atlas, Mayflower, etc?

I don't see a listing on the DOT website for them:

http://safersys.org/CompanySnapshot.aspx

Please advise any permit numbers or their van line.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:35 am

Oops, sorry!

I missed the S on your title. I did find them, and they are unacceptable:

Only 1 truck and 1 driver. Very little chance that one driver will handle your shipment, so there is a greater likelihood that they will broker your shipment out to an unknown company.

They also lost their interstate authority and only got it back earlier this year:

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... me=JULIANS^VAN^LINES^INC&pv_pref_docket=MC508714&pv_usdot_no=1194398&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

There are MUCH better choices in MA for you.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:37 am

I don't thik they can service you for a low price.

They've been licensed only since February of this year (original application was dismissed in 2005, although it looks like they operated locally in MA for that entire time with success), and they have only one truck and driver. Long distance moves are expensive for the mover as well as for the cusotmer, and expecially so if you only have one vehicle to your name. our whole profit margin for almost a week is tied up with one customer's move, which you've just quoted at a price much lower than the other movers all vying for the same cusotmer.

Do you see the logic? Either your bill would inflate in the end, or your service quality would seriously suffer just to make a profit from the low price in your estimate.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

Here is a link to reviewed movers in your state:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7647#57647

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:49 am

Anotehr strange thing is that their DOT report shows an address of 27 North Crescent Circle, and their website and registration show an address of 121B Tremont St. Brighton.

on 123movers.com, Julians' is listed again on Tremont street, and 27 Crescent Circle is occupied by the mover advertised directly below it, Majestic Van Lines.

Oh, duh, that's why! They're BOTH incorporated at 27 Crescent Circle. Their listed as run by two different people, but they do share that address. Julian's is older by 2 years.

According to a former employee of a scam broker that did businesss with them, Majestic has a bad history of scamming people.

Also odd, Julian has told the BBB it has 39 employees. What do they do if they only have one truck???

Ohioprof

Postby Ohioprof » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks, friends, for warning me about this company. Finding a reputable mover is not so easy, is it?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:57 pm

Yes it is, if you know where to [not] look.

When you have a mover's anme, whether you found them off the internet or in the yellow pages (getting Archie's recent survey going here), do a Google search with their name in quotes and see what comes up. We help research, too.

Check out the Superlist (in the Open Community section) to see the compile reviews for many movers in your state. If you come across a mover that's not on there, let us know.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:27 am

Julian's Van Lines is located on 121B Tremont St in Brighton (I was there to sign my moving contract). This is an office building ,5 other moving companies are located in the same building.
The old address was 27 North Crescent Circle (from some reason they did not updated it).

Moving companies also Lease trucks (that is why it's only show 1 truck).

Also, by law , binding estimate can not exceed 25% from the estimated cost.

You can visit there website: www.juliansvanlines.com

P.S I checked Majestic Van Lines on line and it is Majestic Van Lines in Florida that has a bad history of scamming people (it's not the same company like the one in MA).

Sarah

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:38 am

"by law, binding estimate cannot exceed 25% from the estimated cost"

Run that by me again? According to the laws we are being told to follow, a binding estimate cannot exceed what it is bound at. sounds like your laws are better than mine.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:40 am

Sarah,

Are you really moving with them? If so, you've got your facts wrong already. I'd seriously find another mover.

Movers can't just rent trucks all the time for interstate transit, it's a MAJOR red flag for a company to only have one truck.

And it's 10% above a non binding quote, NOT 25%.

Keep shopping, unless you already work there??

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 am

Hi Nancy,

I already moved with them to CA 2 months ago... The service was good (I had someone visit in my house for an estimate since I had a REALLY bad experience when I moved to MA a year ago).

Overall the service was good (it was a full service), I only paid $59 more than the estimate given (last year I got screwed and was forced to pay $2100 more than the estimated cost!!!) and I had no damages to my stuff so I guess this is what's matter...:)

Sarah

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:58 am

P.S I made a mistake..the info I saw on line was 25% for local move not interstate move...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:25 am

You moved with them to California two months ago, yet your IP address says you're in MA. Hmm....

There may be a separate company in FL also named Majestic Van Lines, but the following statement was specifically about the MA company of that name.
According to a former employee of a scam broker that did business with them, Majestic has a bad history of scamming people.

Even on a local move, BINDING means BINDING. Can't change.

I applaud your attempt to vindicate your company, but it doesn't help. Why don't you get working on changing all the addresses with teh DOT, website registration, etc, etc, because they all still have the Crescent Circle address.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:32 pm

Dear MusicMom,

I used this company services, but I live in MA. All I wanted is to reply to the guy that asked about the Julian's Van Lines, no need to attack. I don't do Julian's Van Lines PR and I do not work for them.
I hope this site will become a little more friendly.

Have a good weekend,
Sarah

Return to “Report A Scam”