Stu Miller's Movers Bay Area, California

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Banker

Stu Miller's Movers Bay Area, California

Postby Banker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:34 pm

I contacted Stu Miller's Movers for a short local move in Northern California for a one bedroom apartment. I am moving from Alameda Calif to Davis Calif. Many red flags went up when I spoke with Stu on the phone, which gave me the gut feeling that he was something of a scam artist.

From the get go, it was hard to get in a word edgewise because Stu immediately started reciting the websites where he had great reviews and an unimpeachable reputation, and I understand the need for a sales pitch, but it began to feel like a scam artist trying to put something over on me. I informed Stu that I was having Moovers Inc and Delancy Street Movers both come over in the next few days to visit my apartment to give me a written estimate of the move, with a price ceiling of the cost of the move.

I was pretty shocked when Stu said he would NOT come out and visit me to give an estimate based on the amount of furniture I had, even though he is 20 minutes away in Lafayette, CA. He said his reputation put him above such mundane tasks and the likes of Moovers and Delancy did that sort of task, but he certainly did not because he was in a class by himself. Hmmmm. I also asked if he could give me a ballpark estimate or a price ceiling, and of course I told him that this estimate was the entire point of him seeing my possessions in the first place. Stu sniffed at this suggestion and said, "No way. That would put a limit on how much time I can spend with your move and I won't do that." Hmmm again.

Finally, Stu insisted on a five man crew for my one bedroom apartment move despite refusing to see my amount of furniture. When he sensed my uneasiness and dissatisfaction with his methods, he tried to bully me a little and said I was making a mistake with the other moving companies because he was soooo much better in terms of the care he gave to possessions with his custom built truck, custom blankets to wrap items, blah blah blah. He also clumsily implied that Delancy Street was questionable since it was affiliated with a rehab program.

I know a con man when I speak to one, and by this time I had concluded that I was definitely speaking to one. This is a person who at best, thinks he is above sensible protocol for moves, and at worst, is a scam artist who tries to leverage his "great reputation" into an open-ended and overpriced move. It was painfully clear that he was trying to rip me off, and he wasn't doing it very convincingly -- Stu sounded like a child or a retarded person when they are obviously trying to lie or be deceitful. A bit pitiful. Well, I got off the phone with his majesty Stu Miller ASAP and felt I had avoided the type of moving scam we all dread. Did he really think that people are so stupid not to insist on these basic safeguards that he was too good to provide? Sheesh.

By the way, thus far Moovers Inc. has visited my apartment and has given me a very reasonable written estimate and they showed up on time, were highly professional, and instilled the utmost confidence. They suggested a 3 man crew (compared to the 5 man crew Stu insisted on) and Moovers had no problem with my requests. Delancy Street will visit this afternoon and will give me an estimate then.
Last edited by Banker on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Re: Stu Miller's Movers Bay Area, California -- Scam Alert!

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:51 pm

I think this is his usual M.O., based on past customer's explanations. The way you describe it, it does seem to rub the wrong way, though.

Here's what that person said:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10464
Stu Miller is an independent local mover operating in the Bay Area. I believe he advertises in the Yellow Pages as "The Mellow Mover" which is dead-on. You can find several short reviews from people who've moved with him on the Berkeley Parents Network, all of them glowing. The hardest part of moving with Stu is availability; he is booked way in advance. He has his own truck and always moves with a four-person team, charging by the hour. They do not provide packing services, but will work with independent packers.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Maybe Stu needs to switch to decaf or something? For a 1 BR apt, I would try to do that on the phone too, but unless there is something unusuable, like a grand piano or 4 flights of stairs, 2 men could do it, 3-4 hours range.

Banker

Postby Banker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Update:

Delancey Street visited me today for the estimate and they were amazing -- two guys wearing business-like attire and ties, very professional and considerate. Gave a similar estimate as Moovers and were the consummate professionals. They were careful, looked at everything in detail, asked all the right questions and gave me full confidence in their abilities. What's more, they carefully explained the different levels of insurance I can buy for the move. There really is no excuse for someone like Stu Miller not to come out and give an estimate when he is so close by. Moovers Inc. and Delancey were exemplary in their first contacts with me, and thus far are the best I have encountered. I'm thankful for this website for referring me to them. My distasteful contact with Stu Miller makes Delancey and Moovers even more impressive in comparison.
Last edited by Banker on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:39 pm

Quite a testimonial for Moovers and Delancey. Thanks for the input, which I added to the Superlist.

I would not call what Stu did a scam attempt - rather, I think he is just used to dealing with people for whom money is no object. As MM said, he apparently always works with a crew of four other people.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Gleevac99

Postby Gleevac99 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:09 pm

We called Stu Miller about a local move recently based on the positive online reviews on other sites. I had read this post about him seeming like a scam artist on the phone, so I was a bit cautious. He called me back the next day after I left a message at his office. He did not come across to me as a scammer in the few minutes we spoke, but someone who is used to dealing with the wealthy people of the Lamorinda area and uses rather affected speech. Anyway, once he informed us that he did not work on weekends, it became clear that he was not the mover for us and I thanked him and ended the call.

jrwmd

Postby jrwmd » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:13 pm

strongly disagree; not a scam artist but a careful mover with attentive crew. recently moved us from the peninsula to san francisco - cost half the estimate of our prior movers, All-Reasons. Will certainly use his services again. he treats antiques with special care.

Diane

Re: **Stu Miller's Movers Bay Area, California

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks for this review, which I added to the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”