Feedback on Paxton Van Lines (Atlas agent) - DC to Boston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Philippe

Feedback on Paxton Van Lines (Atlas agent) - DC to Boston

Postby Philippe » Thu May 06, 2004 4:15 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to get back to you guys regarding my move from Arlington, VA (DC area) to Boston that took place earlier this week. I ended up choosing Paxton Van Lines (an Atlas agent) over Hilldrup (United). Mainly beacause I felt that the sales rep would try harder to have my stuff delivered promptly (you are always given a delivery spread when your shipment is consolidated) and because Paxton's price was a bit better.

Overall, it went pretty well. The driver and his colleague were very friendly - excellent attitude. I wish there would have been three instead of two (seeing those poor guys sweating), but I was not carrying the stuff myself... That's how Paxton makes its money I guess.

The only negative is that they broke our TV set partially (plastic broken). The sales rep had told me that TV sets were treated as pieces of furniture and thus should not be packed. So we did not. Why did it break? The driver said it was because of the temperature variation (same temperature between DC and Boston though..). It could be mishandling, it could also be that they did not protect it properly.

We could have packed the TV easily (since we packed everything else, so it's not the extra 5 minutes that would have killed us...). That 's what I would recommend that everyone do.

The driver and his pal became defensive when they told me about the TV. Oddly enough (sic), it was the last item they unloaded, which may indicate that they knew it was broken.

It was an old TV set, so it's not a big loss. But the bottom line is, pack everything if you decide to do the packing yourselves.

Overall, pretty good experience with that one caveat.

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback and to the MovingScam team!!

Cheers,

Philippe

IMP

Re: Feedback on Paxton Van Lines (Atlas agent) - DC to Bosto

Postby IMP » Thu May 06, 2004 6:36 pm

Thanks for the follow up and glad things went well for you. :lol:

:arrow: Know that you have an absolute RIGHT to file a claim for that television. If it required packing - the crew is required to inform you that it needs to be packed and you have the option to (1) pack it yourself (2) pay them to pack it or (3) sign a waiver saying you know it should be packed but your willing to take the risk. It may be old and seem meaningless - but what will it cost you to replace it? Did you have valuation coverage?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 06, 2004 6:55 pm

Hi again Philippe,

Glad we could help. I know you had to eliminate a few scammers before you got to the good companies. Thanks for letting us know what happened.

Just to let you and others know (no pressure intended), one of the volunteers here has offered to match any donation that's made to this website before May 15. None of us get any money from this, but we do like to put in a good word for Tim.

Best wishes from all of us here!

Philippe

Postby Philippe » Fri May 07, 2004 10:37 am

Just a clarification regarding the TV set: I was told by the sales rep not to pack it because she said it would be treated like any piece of furniture (coffee table, chest,...), ie. handled properly by them (wrapped / protected). Given what happened, I recommend that you actually pack it (or have it packed).

And yes, Paxton did say that they would send me a claim form.

Thanks again,

Philippe

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Fri May 07, 2004 1:55 pm

To be safe, I would send Paxton a certified letter, return receipt requested, ASKING for them to send you the claim form and any additional materials needed to process your claim in a timely manner.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Return to “Open Community”