Dahill Mayflower - Not so impressed

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
brittanw

Dahill Mayflower - Not so impressed

Postby brittanw » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:07 pm

So I did a lot of research using this site and others before deciding who to use for my June move from NYC to Durham, NC. It seemed like Dahill Mayflower was highly recommended, so I chose them.

Everything was fine (they did an in-home estimate, the price seemed fair, $2k for a 1-bedroom) until about a month and a half after I signed the "binding estimate", when they called me to inform me that since Charlie could not do the move, they'd have to use a shuttle and it would cost an extra $500. My response: Excuse me, but who is Charlie, what does he have to do with my move, and who ever said anything about a shuttle?? I now understand that moves in Manhattan sometimes have to use a shuttle (smaller truck) because the bigger trucks cannot drive into the city - however, this was definitely not mentioned in the original estimate given to me by Dahill. Nor was I informed that the terms of my move would be dependent on the schedule of some person (who of course I'd never met or talked to) named Charlie. Obviously I was mad that it seemed like they were just increasing the price of the move by 25% months after I'd signed a contract.

To make a long story short, I was bounced back and forth between the estimator and the office person assigned to my job (very annoying to never know who to call first) and after playing phone tag for weeks we finally compromised and agreed that I'd pay only half of the shuttle charge.

On move-out day, the crew told me they'd be delivering the next day, so I scrambled to make sure I was there in time to meet them. As it turned out they did not arrive until the following day, meaning an extra night's stay in a hotel, etc. They were not very apologetic about this, perhaps it's just par for the course in the moving business. But I will say that none of my stuff was damaged or lost (save 2 bowls, which I packed myself, that broke in transit), which is what really matters, right?

That's my experience for what it's worth.

ArchieWhite

Re: Dahill Mayflower - Not so impressed

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:41 pm

Dahill's has had a tough couple of weeks here lately.....They deserve some props just for being a mover in NYC, I have a bunch of drivers that will not accept shipments to or from there, as they say its just too difficult.

If they quoted you a price without shuttle, and then tried to add it, I would probably have cancelled just on principal, even though other movers would also charge, it should have been quoted up front.

Glad your stuff arrived damage free, thats one bright spot.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:43 pm

Hmmm. I wonder who Charlie is, too, and why he's so important. Maybe an owner/operator with a straight truck that they do business with sometimes?

As for the shuttle, you said in your original posts that only 1 out of 10 movers mentioned it in the estimate, and several pros said that you might want to ask them about it up front. Did you ask them about the shuttle before you moved with them?

So the move itself ended up fairly OK, it's the beginning that was kooky.

brittanw

Postby brittanw » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Nope, no mention of a shuttle in the original discussions. They did not say anything about it and I did not ask.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:28 pm

Anybody moving from NYC should expect to have someone mention shuttle charges. If not, ASK the mover when you discuss the move if your borough requires a shuttle.

And Archie is right. Dahill has not had a great few weeks, and a good part of it seems to have been a communications breakdown with the van line.

None of the drivers for any van line that I am acquainted with enjoy doing shipments out of the Big Apple.

If they did an interstate move to NC, and it was done within a couple of days, consider yourself fortunate. There seems to have been many delays in shipments leaving NYC lately.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:33 pm

I just heard from the Executive Vice President of Dahill that the customer's payment for the shuttle is going to be refunded by Dahill. He explained that their straight truck driver (Charlie) was already on the road and was unexpectedly unable to pick up her shipment. Hopefully the customer will come back to tell us that she received a refund.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:32 pm

:D hey big lee.... maybe im the weird one but i love nyc shipments....just loaded one in chicago today to deliver to 116th st....bigtime money on the delivery shuttle....nyc rates are double on everything except the actual transportation rate.....the shuttle pays just about as much as my portion of the linehaul....plus elevators beat the stairs we have in chicago....

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:27 am

We had one driver that loved NYC shipments, Bob Bishop. He did a good job too, and he learned to love NYC while working for George B. Holman, in Hackensack. I guess it was old home week for him, going to NYC, but he was the only driver I've ever known that loved moving people into NYC, and I've known a few....

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:39 am

They don't mind delivering so much. It's the outbound. Some of our drivers' tractors are dang near as long as the trailer..

Rolling hotels
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”