Uhaul rented me a rotten truck

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
FrankG

Uhaul rented me a rotten truck

Postby FrankG » Fri May 07, 2004 7:39 pm

I know this site is more for full service moving problems, but I just finished a nightmare move with Uhaul. I made a reservation 3 weeks in advance. When I arrived to pick up my truck, there were none available!!! They finally got me a truck from God knows where that smoked like it was on fire. The air conditioning did not work and it was just an all around bad experience.

I asked for some of my money back and they treated me terribly. NO DISCOUNT. NO REFUND. NO I"M SORRY. Just lousy..... :evil:

consumer advocate

Re: Uhaul rented me a rotten truck

Postby consumer advocate » Fri May 07, 2004 7:44 pm

Thanks for the testimony Frank. We've been aware of problems with U-Haul for a while now. I believe their parent company is in bankruptcy right now. That's why we've been recommending that those who choose to rent a truck and move themselves check with Penske or Budget. Be sure to file your complaints with the BBB, www.ripoffreport.com and other consumer websites. If it's any consolation, at least you didn't have to deal with the nightmare of having a mover hold your goods hostage and demand thousands more than the original estimate for moving services.

Me too

Postby Me too » Fri May 07, 2004 8:59 pm

I had the same garbage experience. Somebody could get killed in the truck I was in. The brakes were malfunctioning.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 07, 2004 9:57 pm

There's a long thread on this site (click here to see it) containing a lot of inside information and tips posted by a U-Haul manager. He invited anyone who needed more information to contact him at this email address: iamragdolly@aol.com. People who are thinking about using U-Haul or who have had bad experiences might want to contact him for advice. I remember that he was so honest about U-Haul's defects that people were asking why he still worked for them.

Me too

Postby Me too » Fri May 07, 2004 11:30 pm

Wow. Thanks for the link. It amazes me that I did not take the time to do my homework before I marched down to my local Uhaul store. My friends all had bad stories, but I thought to myself, how bad could it be? They were just exaggerating. Not.

Return to “Open Community”