Need advice on Missing Boxes...

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hbdumpling

Need advice on Missing Boxes...

Postby hbdumpling » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:52 pm

I moved to NY, NY from LA, CA a month ago using Suddath United Vanline. I was really happy with the CA packing and loading service, but the NY delivery was another story. Since I am moving to an apt from a house, I have to make two stops, loading half of my belongings into storage. On the day of delivery, the NY United Vanline was more than 3 hrs late. I was scheduled for an 9 a.m. appt. but the crew didn't show up until 12:45pm. I have to say, they were rushing to get my stuff-in b/c my husband saw them forcing our couch into the service elevator. As a result, it ripped and soiled our sofa (thank god I have insurance).
Anyway, the problem is not our first stop but our storage stop in Queens. We didn't leave Manhanttan until 4:30pm. By the time we got into Queens it was already 5:45pm. The crew were not careful with our things. They were in a rush to just pack everything into our storage location. My husband and I are very detail orientated people. We make notes of everything, and we have notes that clearly states what tag is on what box. We check off our notebook everytime we see they move an item in. At the end of the loading, the driver told us that they have done loading all of our items... the problem is, that is not true. On our own notes, we know there is a box missing. At that time, our storage station is already jammed packed and its already 7:30pm. The driver told us that we can take everything out and take inventory again...but he is going to charge us for reloading. He keep insisting that he has checked his own loading list and told me that he didn't miss any boxes. Since both my husband and I are exhausted and stressed from the move...we signed off everything. Now.. a month later, I moved everything out of storage, but still that missing box is still missing....What can I do now? I just want my stuff back..my wedding pics are in there!!!! What do moving companies do with this type of situation?

Fred0844

Re: Need advice on Missing Boxes...

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:09 am

If you know the carton number, contact United Van Lines. They will need the contract #, the tag color, lot#, tag number, and description. (all this should be on the inventories).
The problem is, if you have signed off that you have received all items, then the carrier's paperwork says you received all items.
When goods go into public storage, they leave care and control of the carrier. Someone else might damage, break or loose an item just as though you were doing a second move.
There is not enough space in a public storage to spread everythng out and make sure that it is there before putting it away,
They were in a rush
. You are paying by weight, not by the hour.
NOTE TO OTHERS:
1) If you are missing an item, note on the inventory as "not checked off".
2) Next day, notify the carrier's claim department. Do not wait to see if it will show up. This way, the various parties (drivers, warehouses) can "look around". The longer the delay, the harder it is to find something.
3) If you do find the item, notify the carrier so they can close the file.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:44 am

Thanks, Fred, for the advice. Could the driver actually have charged a "reloading fee" as he said?

For the original poster, I'm very sorry about the missing box although I'm glad to hear that Suddath was good on the Los Angeles end. Could you please post whether it was Suddath in NYC that supplied the workers, or some other United agency in NYC? I would like to know the name of the company.

I remember in the runup to your move, people were saying that the storage unit was going to be very crowded and it would be good to avoid moving at the height of the moving season if at all possible - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13164 Still, it seems as if things didn't go as well as they should have on the NY end.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:45 am

Contact claims immediately so the van line can check the drivers last couple of deliveries

Yes, he could charge extra labor for bringing everything back out if you think you missed a box that you checked off.

Always slow the driver down when checking inventories going into mini storage. Once you sign off as received, van line liability for damage and loss ends.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

hbdumpling

Postby hbdumpling » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:39 pm

I made some progress today. I phoned my customer rep. in CA and told her everything. She told me that we can try to locate it. She said she will have to direct me to Shortage and Overage in Claims. The process will take a minium of two weeks. She told me they will have to call the drivers in CA, Receiving-End in NY, and loading and unloading driver in NYC. I am crossing my fingers that they can find my box. Its not a small box..it shouldn't just disappear. I should have took my husband's side and refuse to sign-off..but in the end I gave in and he signed off b/c we are both exhausted and tired. In the future, i will never sign-off anything until I am sure my things are there...the least I can do is make a note on the paperwork. Lesson learned...

Answer to Diane's question:
From my knowledge, Suddath NY arranged for my driver in NY. I remember the day of delivery, I waited till 10am before I started calling my rep in CA..but because of time difference she wasn't there yet. I phoned NY Suddath directly, and got someone to track down the driver for me. Around 11:30am I got a call from my LA rep. She told me that the drivers are running late. She basically gave me a status call every hr until the driver show up after being more than 3 hrs late. She told me she has to contact NY office for the status..so I assume its the NY office that does my delivery arrangement.

Again, I am extremely satisfied with everyone in Suddath LA. Its unfortunate that this happened....i have hope that my box will come up. Will keep you guys posted! :wink:

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:30 pm

It does take time to check all the possibilities. Are you 100% sure that the carton is not in the apartment nor in the storage area. It would not be the first nor the last time that a missing item will come out of hiding.

hbdumpling

Postby hbdumpling » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:15 pm

I just want to post an update that Suddath located my three boxes. They were delivered to us a week after I told my rep. in CA. Apparantly they were sitting in the NY storage facility. I am glad they were recovered. The end. =)

Diane

Re: **Need advice on Missing Boxes...

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:45 pm

Thanks for this review of Suddath-La Mirada and I have added it to the Superlist linked to below my name. So glad they found your box of wedding pictures!
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”