PA to WA with Shelly (Allied agent)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Endi

PA to WA with Shelly (Allied agent)

Postby Endi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:24 pm

After some worries and some excellent advice by Big Lee and others, I went with Shelly Moving and Storage for my cross-country move.

Yesterday was the loading day--they called last week to let me know that they were coming a day early with a smaller shuttle (at no extra cost) to save the hassle of getting the big truck through my small town. Earl, Corey, and Heather arrived right on time. They were very friendly and very fast--did the whole place in exactly 2 hours. For all their efficiency, they still handled my stuff pretty carefully. Most of my furniture dates from the end of college, so as you can imagine it's not high quality and it's pretty battered already. They were really gentle with the bookcases that are held together with duct tape and a few extra nails, for example.

I felt really good about their performance... now here's hoping that things go as well on the other end! I don't think my stuff has gotten on the big truck yet, but I'm hoping it will tomorrow and that someone will narrow down the delivery window for me.

Endi

Final review of PA to WA with Shelly (Allied agent)

Postby Endi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:02 pm

Hey folks!

Just posting one last update (until my next move, in about 11 months...) with Shelly Moving and Storage out of Harrisburg, PA.

Of the good: Shelly was always punctual, friendly, and gave me by far the best estimate for a cross-country move. (Guaranteed total price of about $3700 for 3500 pounds). The loading in PA went perfectly. Also excellent: they got me my stuff in TEN DAYS! After all the horror stories I'd heard about people who waited 6+ weeks to get their stuff in cross country moves, I'd prepared for the worst and was delighted to receive all of my furniture about 3 days after I'd made it there myself. What great timing. Thumbs up.

Of the slightly less good: man, were my boxes beat all to hell. Some of them were pretty alarmingly crushed. I actually didn't suffer too much breakage in the end (a few glasses, one picture, a lampshade) but it was pretty nerve-wracking while I was going through the stuff. Also, they completely took apart a lot of furniture like my bookcases and futon. While a few of the more fragile bookcases ended up in better shape when reassemble (score!), the futon didn't fare as well and one of the bookcases was reassembled backwards. I'm not too upset about it, but I ended up feeling a bit like the tradeoff for amazing speed was slightly less care with my goods.

So overall I have to give them pretty good marks. The only thing I thought paled in comparison to the absolutely outstanding move I had with Mabey's out of Albany the year before was a bit of a lag in communications with Shelly. If I wanted to know stuff, I had to call them-- they never made follow-up calls or anything. Once I said goodbye to the mover on this end, that was that. Mabey's, for example, called to check in when the movers were unloading my stuff and sent me an evaluation/feedback form about a week after the move--stuff I thought was just fantatic customer service.

Thanks again for all your help. See you around in the spring when I'm shopping for movers again! :lol:

MusicMom

Re: **PA to WA with Shelly (Allied agent)

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:39 am

Forgive me if this is addressed somewhere, but were the boxes actual moving boxes or were they retail boxes collected from stores and supermarkets? Were they packed by you or the mover? Nomatter what, I'm glad there was only minimal damage on the insides.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks so much, Endi, for your review. For those interested, here is the runup to your move - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13757

I share MM's curiosity about what type of boxes were used. Sometimes, people have posted photos of damaged, dented-in boxes but the boxes looked like they could have originally contained toilet paper or the like. In other words, they weren't nearly strong enough to protect fragile items like glassware and lampshades.

weem

Postby weem » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:32 am

Many owner-packed cartons crush because they are not completely filled--if not filled they crush very easily when stacked.
If they are packed by the mover---that's plain bad packing.

Diane

Re: Final review of PA to WA with Shelly (Allied agent)

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Endi wrote:The only thing I thought paled in comparison to the absolutely outstanding move I had with Mabey's out of Albany the year before was a bit of a lag in communications with Shelly. If I wanted to know stuff, I had to call them-- they never made follow-up calls or anything. Once I said goodbye to the mover on this end, that was that. Mabey's, for example, called to check in when the movers were unloading my stuff and sent me an evaluation/feedback form about a week after the move--stuff I thought was just fantastic customer service.

Thanks for this review too (Albany to Philly in 2006). I assume that it was a self-haul because of the short distance. Self-haul often equals a better experience for the customer as long as the company is good. This is our first review of Mabey's (Atlas) and I'll add it, too, to the Superlist, under "New York State."
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Endi

Re: PA to WA with Shelly (Allied agent)

Postby Endi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I used good quality boxes--almost all purchased from U-haul, Mailboxes, etc. Though I have to say, the boxes from the liquor store held up just as well if not better! :D

I packed them myself, and yeah, apparently I left too much empty space in some of them. I'm used to packing for shorter (~500 miles) hauls where stuff doesn't get shifted as much, I guess.

Huge thumbs up for Mabey's, Diane. Though yeah--same guys packed and then delivered my things a few days later. Shorts hauls are the way to go! :D

Thanks again, everyone!

Return to “Open Community”