Peluso Movers, Inc. (United) in Naples, FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
chconnor

Peluso Movers, Inc. (United) in Naples, FL

Postby chconnor » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:57 pm

Hi - after a frustrating (but efficient, thanks to this site) search through lots of scammy companies in the Florida region, the only one still operating and recommended and clear of bad reports and so on that I could find in Naples, FL was:

Peluso Moving, Inc. (United Van Lines)
4306 EXCHANGE AVENUE, SUITE A
NAPLES, FL 34104
(800)741-8663
(239)643-3303 - Office
Fax: (239) 643-3739
http://www.bestof.net/pelusomovers (bad link?)
pelusomovers@yahoo.com

(I'm sure there are others, I didn't do an exhaustive search, so if you have ideas, I'd love to hear them...)

They use United Van Lines' DOT number and were recommended by the Suddath office in Ft Lauderdale. We're getting an estimate on Friday for a small amount of stuff (less than their 1000 lb. minimum) from Naples to Bellingham, WA. So far, so good. Been working with a Jeff Flowers.

If anyone has any opinions, I'd love to hear them.

If we end up going with them, I will post a review after the move.

Thanks!
-C

MusicMom

Re: Peluso Movers, Inc. (United) in Naples, FL

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 am

You're doing fine. Let us know what the estimate says, and see if you can get them to make it a Guaranteed Not To Exceed instead of a Non-Binding. This sets a cap like a binding estimate (helpful for your budget) but if the weigh turns out to be less than they thought, you pay for that actual amount. Safest option for the customer.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:13 pm

Peluso will do you a good job, they are a family owned and hands on operated company, the Johnsons. Chances are, any dealings you have with them will be directly with an owner or family member. They are fine, nothing to worry about.

chconnor

Postby chconnor » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:21 pm

Well, good to hear. :-)

The stuff is in a storage unit, and he said if he can get clear access to it then he can give us a not-to-exceed estimate. Thing is, we're well under the 1000 lb minimum anyway, so it's not really such an issue for us.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help!
-C

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:53 pm

A 1,000 lb min is really not much stuff. 15-20 boxes and 4-5 pieces of furniture, and there you are......FYI, the typical min of 2100 lbs allows a discount, but since they are the experts in their area, hear what they say. They may plan to crate it and ship by alternative method. That sounds fancy, but what it really means is putting it into a type II overseas container and sending it by common carrier to the destination agent, and having the DA deliver it to residence. All that stuff usually translates to about the same as a 2100 lb mini with a discount anyway. 6 of one, half dozen of another.

chconnor

Postby chconnor » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:33 am

Well, here I am again, with the report. :-)

Basically the report is excellent. Professional all around, friendly, helpful, etc. I don't know if the rate was good or not, having little experience in this area. It was a desk, 2 dressers, a "chest" (all these wood and pretty substantial), a small table, two heavy chairs, 12 boxes, a mirror... about 800 or so pounds total. $1,918.91. Picked up in Naples, FL on August 20th, delivered to Bellingham, WA Sep. 7... As mentioned, we dealt with Jeff Flowers (who was very helpful, nice, etc) and a tiny bit with Kim Hale.

My mother met them on the packing end of things; here's what she had to say: "The movers were great. Yes they called, beat us to the storage unit, did a great job wrapping, etc., and even wrapped a mirror of Barb's and put it AND a huge chopping block table in her car for her. Pleasant, smiling (in 100 degree heat) and helpful. Give them top marks."

On the receiving end, two guys (one of whom drove it all the way from Naples) were friendly and helpful. There was some damage (apparently incurred by a different intermediate handler, since it was noted before these guys got hold of the stuff, which implies that it happened in Naples somewhere; I believe it was handled by Allied somewhere in there?): a foot of the desk broke, and a minor support piece of another piece of furniture. They were helpful about the insurance issues (we had coverage) but we decided not to pursue it because it was too minor to worry about. Other fragile items (the mirror, various pottery, etc) were fine.

The only other complaint was that they didn't call a day ahead of delivery, so one can only hope that if I had been out of town or otherwise unavailable they wouldn't have tried to charge for an extra day's storage or something. Since I was in town and ready for delivery it worked out just fine, but it was kind of sudden.

So, basically, no problems. Two thumbs up. Thanks again to this site for existing! May all have moving experiences as smooth as this.

-C

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:36 am

Thanks for this final good report on Peluso and I'm glad things went well. I've added your review to the Superlist linked to below my name. It appears that the shipment was hauled by United Van Lines so Allied wouldn't have gotten into it. The very small amount of damage probably occurred in Peluso's warehouse when the shipment was waiting there for pickup by the van line driver.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:41 am

Amazingly, many times, when people mean to say United, for some reason the word Allied comes out....Fruedian slip or just the fact the words mean almost the same thing, I dunno. Once, a highly paid guest speaker at a convention kept referring to the people in the audience ( United Agents) as, Allied.......someone finally raised their hand and corrected him....

chconnor

Postby chconnor » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Hmmm. The shipment was definitely hauled by United, as it was a United truck and my impression is that Peluso is a United franchise, but I think it was in fact handled by Allied at some point... Is that even a realistic possibility? Besides the "United" stickers that were on everything, which were used in the accounting of the items when they were unloaded, there were other stickers on them that said "Allied" (the items haven't been moved before this time)... The movers that unloaded the stuff believed that there wouldn't be any issue about replacement since we had coverage (though I suppose they always say that on-site :-) ), so I wasn't worried about it or anything. Anyhow, even if it did happen at their Peluso/United warehouse, I think the point that the driver was making to me was just that he didn't do it himself. :-) Anyway, FYI. Perhaps a strange juggling of companies was necessary? Thanks again, -c

Return to “Open Community”