Move with Shea Moving Corp NJ to NYC on July 20 - could be better

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
alg70

Move with Shea Moving Corp NJ to NYC on July 20 - could be better

Postby alg70 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:58 pm

A bit of a background - we've sold our house in West Orange, NJ and were moving the equivalent of a 2-bedroom apartment to downtown Manhattan (18 miles away). Shea did an in-home estimate and gave us written not-to-exceed estimate with and without packing. We've chosen the packing option and the movers were supposed to show up early (7am) since the building we were moving to had a cutoff time of 5pm.

The movers showed up over an hour late - no phone calls from the company. Only when I called up, Brian Shea (the owner) casually mentioned something about them switching the supplies. The crew had 5 people - we showed them what needed to be packed/moved and they've spread out in the house. To their credit, the crew was polite and fairly careful. Most of the items were properly packed, the boxes labeled and carried out. There were several snafus - one was when disassembling the beds (the movers didn't have proper tools with them) and one when carrying out the futon from the basement - the movers insisted on taking off the room door even though my friend and myself had no difficulty moving it there when we bought it. They also scratched the basement walls pretty badly when carrying the futon up the stairs.
They finished packing/loading by 2pm which cut it pretty close to 5pm move cutoff. Fortunately, there was no traffic on the way to Manhattan and the truck arrived in 40 mins.

The move-in was fairly uneventful and the movers finished around 6pm. The only unpleasant thing happened when we discovered the damage to the bed in master bedroom - the wood chipped off in a few places. When I called the owner Brian Shea about it, he gave me a bit of a run around asking to talk to the foreman Melvin about it. Melvin insisted it was wrapped properly but when I pointed out the "fresh" chips he offered to come back and "touch it up" and never did. Moreover, the contact number he left turned out to be a non-working number.

Overall, the move went ok but the fact that the owner didn't seem to care about the move situation or the damage (no follow-up calls about either) would mean I most likely won't be using them again.

The price was very good though and the movers seemed to be happy about the tip.

Diane

Re: Move with Shea Moving Corp NJ to NYC on July 20 - could be better

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:11 pm

See this post for some perspective - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4080#94080
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Just helping

Postby Just helping » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:27 pm

I know of a good wood restoration company they can fix the damages for you quickly (thier price is very good to my experience with them) send me a pm and I’ll reply with the phone number…

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:42 pm

alg70 wrote:The only unpleasant thing happened when we discovered the damage to the bed in master bedroom - the wood chipped off in a few places. When I called the owner Brian Shea about it, he gave me a bit of a run around asking to talk to the foreman Melvin about it. Melvin insisted it was wrapped properly but when I pointed out the "fresh" chips he offered to come back and "touch it up" and never did. Moreover, the contact number he left turned out to be a non-working number.

This is a belated explanation of what actually happened - I was talking with the owners of Shea Moving today and they brought me up to date on this.

First of all, their movers didn't cause any damage to the bed. What happened was that one of the workers mistakenly installed either the headboard or the footboard (I think they said it was the footboard) upside down on delivery. When that happened, the lower part of the footboard that had been damaged in the past by vacuum cleaners hitting it became visible. The customer was upset because he thought the chips were fresh, but they weren't.

About the contact number not working, the owners of Shea Moving explained that that was the cell phone number of the driver. Since they are afraid that messages left on that phone may not get transmitted promptly to the main office, if someone calls the driver's cell and it goes to voice mail, the voice mail says, "This is a nonworking number. Please call the office at blah-blah to leave your message."

So that's all. Both complaints were based on misunderstandings. I'm notifying the customer by PM that I've added this update so he can come back and comment if he wants.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:25 pm

I would hope the shipper comes back to agree or disagree with the assesment of the bed. Sounds logical.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

alg70

Postby alg70 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:49 pm

This is correct - I was actually the one that noticed the bed footboards were upside-down. One of the movers did actually show up to access the damage and upon me pointing out the incorrect assembly, he re-assembled the bed in the correct order.

So all is good now.

Diane, thanks for following up!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:35 pm

You're welcome! All's well that ends well.

Return to “Open Community”