Review of Monro moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jikastew

Review of Monro moving

Postby jikastew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:29 pm

This is an introductory review of Monro Moving Company out of Augusta GA.

You can choose to include this into your superlist or not, but the info here will only help those who may need an interstate move out of Augusta, GA.

We are in the process of moving to Omaha, NE from Augusta, GA. We chose Bill Monro of Monro's Moving Company to handle our move. We moved a 5 bedroom house and a garage full of tools. The move was booked 3 months in advance. Mr. Monro appeared to be friendly and cooperative. He came recommended by only one person I know, as I had no other positive reviews of other Augusta moving companies.

The company packed up our house and loaded it into a truck to storage for 2 months. Nancy, the financial secretary, told us we would pay for our move via one sum payment since it was a company move. There was legal contractual paperwork showing full financial coverage of the move. Yet, when the movers packed up everything, she demanded a check for over $3000. Fine, whatever, it'll get reinbursed, but for those who can't afford it, that's BS.

Delivery date was scheduled for July 26th. As of today the delivery has not yet left somewhere in North Carolina. Calls to Nancy or Bill have not been helpful in giving us answers. The last call we placed to Bill was rather terse; Bill was not kind and said he didn't know what was going on. Further, he guessed on delivery would be in Omaha sometime the next week.

Not much for customer service. Well, the load is insured. So far no resolution in sight. I'll follow up when the truck arrives.

Rick

Re: Review of Monro moving

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:41 pm

Sorry to hear that your delivery was delayed. Their response to your inquiries sure doesn't sound like Bill and Nancy.

Monro Moving and Storage is an agent of Allied. You can trace your shipment through the van line's website at http://customer.alliedvan.com/track/track_main.asp You'll need your six digit order number and Monro's three letter agency code. This won't make the delay any less inconvenient but it might get you more reliable information on the location and status of your van.

PMueller

Re: *Review of Monro moving

Postby PMueller » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:21 am

Bill at Monro has been around a long time in that area. Perhaps you just caught him at a bad moment. This is not typical behavior of that office. At least, when I lived in Augusta it wasn't. Regarding the payment at time of loading, it sounds like in order to probably be extremely competitive in getting your move, they may have done the storage in Augusta on local rates vs. storage in transit rates. Typically that is when you would have to pay for the services performed to the point of pick-up at time of pick up. However, I agree this should have been detailed out separately so you were not caught by surprise.

For others that are coming out of the Augusta, GA area I've listed more information on movers in that area. I use to live in Martinez and I worked in the moving industry then, I still have friends in the area and visit there at least once a year. I usually stop in at the following 2 movers as I keep in touch with individuals that work there.

In Augusta, GA there are 2 other companies one could consider:

ADSI Moving Systems (United): I know Don & Ulla Ellefson the owners. Both of their sons are running it now, Brian & Nyles Ellefson. A great customer service rep name Lillian Tollette is a good friend of mine. They have a 100,000 sf warehouse off of Mike Padgett Hwy. A good company.

H & S Transfer (Mayflower): I know the owner Ken Heyman. His son is also working for him in sales his name is Scott Heyman. While this is a small agent, they have been there a long, long time and your move would be handled correctly.

Of the 3 movers I've discussed here in Augusta, GA. I would point out the most technically advanced and staffed office is ADSI. The other 2 are a smaller scaled agent.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:29 am

Thanks, Rick and Pam, for your comments, which I've added to the Superlist for Augusta. To the original poster, sorry about the delay and please keep us updated.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

jikastew

Postby jikastew » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Final Results.

The move in actually went pretty well. Only the computer moniter was damaged, but we needed a new one anyway.

The shipment was late but arrived the following week. The guys who unloaded the truck did a nice job.

After all was said and done, I guess that Monro did everything right except for keep the delivery date. Considering all the horrible things that can happen during a move, everything was acceptable.

Monro might look into keeping tabs on the drivers better, but I'm not sure if they have any say in the transit times.

I'd actually recommend them.

Diane

Re: **Review of Monro moving

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks for this review - glad it turned out OK. Bill Monro would actually have had no control over the Allied drivers and that's probably why he sounded stressed out when you questioned him about the delay .
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”