*Comparison between two NJ companies

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
colo232

*Comparison between two NJ companies

Postby colo232 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:00 pm

Thanks for this website!!! I think it is of great help for all the people looking to hire a moving company, this is why after reading lots of information I feel the need to add my 2 cents.

A year ago I was relocated by my company using the services of Atlantic Relocation Systems (Atlas). As this was covered in full by my company it had everything a person can ask for in a move full packing, full replacement insurance, full unpacking, debris collection and everything was for free. It was a great experience and we felt supported 100% by relocation department of the multinational company I work for. Just for information that will be relevant below I will add that the total weight of my moving was 6,100 lbs.

We are moving from Eagleville, PA back to our home in Boca Raton, FL after a short relocation period (this time the moving is on my own). We are currently living in a townhouse (aprox. 2,200 sq. ft.) and as we like the minimalist style we do not have an overwhelming quantity of things to be shipped. All rates include:

-Packing of furniture only (we’ll do the packing)
-Two crates
-Load and Unload
-Full value coverage
-Moving Date: September 13th

Here is my experience with the companies listed below

1) ATLAS / Local Company: Shannon Transport (Hainesport, NJ)
Weight Estimate: 6,925
NON-BINDING ESTIMATE: $3,885

Thomas Sipera was the person that came to do the estimate, very nice person and very informative. I didn’t ask for a GNTE since I wanted to see the type of estimate they will send.
He didn’t mention anything about the types of estimates and left with the promise to send the estimate in 2 to 3 days. Once I got the estimate it was non-binding. I called him on a Monday to request a GNTE and he said that for that kind of estimates he will need management approval and I should have it in 2 to 3 days. After a week without any calls I decided to call him back (Thomas apologized for not calling me but he said that he was very busy, to his credit he sends e-mails very late at night and early in the morning so no doubts that he may be busy), he said that in order to give me a GNTE he will need to add 1,500 lbs to my shipment. I said OK, just send me an estimate and will let you know.
New Weight Estimate: 8,500
GNTE ESTIMATE: $4,801

2) MAYFLOWER / Local Company: Sinclair Moving & Storage (West Berling, NJ)
Weight Estimate: 5,166
GTNE: $3,170

Michael Jenkins was the person that came to do the estimate, also a very nice person and very informative. I didn’t mention anything about types of estimates but when he was leaving he said that I will have the estimate the following day and that it will be a GNTE as is the only type of estimates they provide. That was nice!
When the estimate came in I called him as I was worried that he “underestimated” me, I mentioned my last year move and he said that when someone is “corporate relocated” some companies tend to “overweight” some shipments. He insisted that the weight was right but I insisted that I didn’t feel comfortable, he sent me a new estimate adding some more boxes and he assured me that it is more than enough. He also requested if I can move on the 12th rather than the 13th as they have a shipment in the area.
New Weight Estimate: 5,792
GNTE ESTIMATE: $3,450

So here it is… What should I do?
At this point I’m inclined to go with Sinclair based in the approach with the GNTE.

What will happen if I really was “underestimated”?
I'm concerned that they're going to claim I added stuff and that the original invoice is no longer valid. I may be paranoid but after reading horrors stories in this site that may happen, right?

Thank you very much all in advance… I do believe this site is “priceless”.

weem

Re: *Comparison between two NJ companies

Postby weem » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:19 pm

Have you added to your household since your last move?--be brutally honest here.
If not your revised Sinclair estimate should be a valid bargain.
If -----the driver balks at loading ---offer $500.00 cash to him extra to do your move.

colo232

Postby colo232 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:37 am

Thanks Weem.
No, I have not added absolutely anything. Furthermore, I got rid of some things.

Diane, MusicMom… Where are you girls???

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:54 am

Sorry, I tend to leave the info of the good guys to the pros. They know the agents, the lingo, and give better tips than I do. :oops:

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:30 am

Hi - based on the comments in the Superlist, both of them seem to be good companies. Since "weem" advises going with Sinclair, and he knows the area (he is in fact the source of much of the info in the Superlist), I think you would be fine going with them. They gave you a GNTE from the get-go, which is a plus. I also agree with his advice to offer the driver a big tip if he looks unhappy with the weight. The Sinclair rep's comment that the weight of shipments being paid for by employers is often overestimated is true, from what I have seen here.

What branch of Atlantic Relo did you use for your move to PA? If you can tell us, I can add that review to the Superlist.

colo232

Postby colo232 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:49 am

Diane wrote:What branch of Atlantic Relo did you use for your move to PA? If you can tell us, I can add that review to the Superlist.

I'm not sure but all the people I dealt with were in Atlanta, Georgia, and apparently they work with Prudential Relocation, since Prudential did my relocation.

In the other hand, the one comment I would like to add is that I felt very disappointed to the approach Shannon had in relation to my GNTE request.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:05 am

Do you think that the packers and driver you had were from Atlantic Relocation? Where were you moving to PA from?

Regarding Shannon increasing the weight estimate when it gave you a GNTE, if that's what disappointed you, actually that is standard for many companies, including some very good companies such as University Van Lines (Atlas). The companies have to protect themselves. It could be that Sinclair was able to give you a lower price because it had another shipment going your way - indeed, you say that the rep asked you to move on a certain day and talked about another shipment. Those kinds of factors can influence the price significantly. It sounds as if Sinclair might be planning to self-haul the shipment to FL using its own truck and driver. If so, that's another thing in its favor. Ask about this.

colo232

Postby colo232 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:51 am

Ok… So I choose Sinclair and faxed over on August 2nd the following signed documents:

Estimate (they also refer to it as Order for Service)
Inventory
Acknowledgement of Right to Arbitrate
Credit Card Authorization Form
High Value Inventory

As I said, I have sent all these previously signed forms by fax on August 2nd but had not received any confirmation from Sinclair other than a telephone conversation.

Should I request any document signed by them acknowledging our agreement?

Thanks to all again…

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:12 am

If Prudential relocation was involved, why are we talking GNTE? They are under contract at contracted rates, unless this was not the exact move we are talking about, I read too fast sometimes.....

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:17 am

never mind, I went back and read it all....duh

colo232

Postby colo232 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:50 am

I need help with the following question:

Ok… So I choose Sinclair and faxed over on August 2nd the following signed documents:

Estimate (they also refer to it as Order for Service)
Inventory
Acknowledgement of Right to Arbitrate
Credit Card Authorization Form
High Value Inventory

As I said, I have sent all these previously signed forms by fax on August 2nd but had not received any confirmation from Sinclair other than a telephone conversation.

Should I request any document signed by them acknowledging our agreement?

Thanks to all again…

bpthagreat

Postby bpthagreat » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:50 am

[fake review removed]

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:54 am

Yeah, I heard they are both Gret.

Return to “Open Community”