Two Men and a Truck - Kalamazoo, Michigan to Ohio

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
wyoluvr

Two Men and a Truck - Kalamazoo, Michigan to Ohio

Postby wyoluvr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:11 am

Hello! I've been searching the forums for some information concerning Two Men and a Truck.

I used them two years ago to unload my stuff from an ABF truck (I'd come from the Boston area). They were very efficent and polite and I decided then that I'd use them again. I haven't done very much research into other companies this time around, though I am in the process of getting some quotes from other local companies (though the other companies have been far less polite and helpful).

Trent, their local manager came himself to do the in-house estimate. He was prompt and the whole estimate took maybe 20 minutes (I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment). He gave me a non-binding estimate of 2,214.54, with a maximum COD charge of 2,435.99. Some of that expense seems to come from the small size of teh company, because they have to charge for a minimum of 2,700lbs, even though the estimated weight of my stuff is 2,500lbs. Some less reputable companies (Sasha's Transport) has quoted me $1,000, but they look so skeevy from reports here and elsewhere that I don't think I'll go down that road.

I know that ABF + people on either end would be cheaper, but managing three different companies and all the scheduling combined with finishing up work stuff and life stuff here in Kalamazoo is just too much for one person (me!) to handle right now. My question is whether that $2,200+ seems excessively steep to anyone else, and I'm also wondering if anyone else might have moved a small apartment's worth of stuff from this area.

Thanks!

Diane

Re: Two Men and a Truck - Kalamazoo, Michigan to Ohio

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:20 am

If you haven't done so already, you might want to look at this post summarizing what has been said here about companies in your area:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7650#57650

I notice that I advised there against using Two Men for an interstate move, but your move is fairly short and I think it might be OK, quality-wise. Other companies such as van line agents might actually be cheaper, though . . . I'm not sure. Small companies sometimes have to charge more because they have no backhaul (return load).
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

wyoluvr

Postby wyoluvr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:27 am

I did see your post, though it was for Ann Arbor, and I'm moving from Kalamazoo. I had a good experience with them in-town, so I was curious more about anyone else's experience with the Kzoo branch. Alas, most of the posts there are also about Detroit or Grand Rapids companies.

Unfortunately or fortunately, van lines won't touch (or at least that's what reps are telling me) a move as small as mine.

thanks!

wyoluvr

Postby wyoluvr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:59 am

Hi, Diane, I actually have another question. I think I understand the difference between binding and non-binding estimates, but I'm a little confused by Two Men's non-binding estimate versus their COD price. Does this just mean that if my move exceeds the non-binding estimate, that I have to pay at the COD price to get my goods? So, if I included more stuff, then I'd have to pay the difference between the real weight of my goods and the amount that was first estimated?

Or am I completely confused by all of this?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:03 am

It probably means that the lower amount is their Nonbinding estimate and on delivery day you won't have to pay more than 110% of that amount (which is roughly the higher amount they have given you). However, if you ship more weight than their minimum 2700 pounds or you require additional services such as a shuttle - you won't need one, but just giving you an example - they have the right to bill you for the excess after 30 days. These are interstate moving regulations governing Nonbinding estimates.

It would be safer for you if they would give you a Binding estimate at the lower amount they have quoted. Then your cost wouldn't go up even if you ship more than the minimum weight of 2700 pounds. In my opinion they should be willing to do this for you. Tell them that I'm adding your good review of their unloading work to the Superlist. Maybe they will be able to see that there could be another good review pending. :wink:

If you'd like to describe your move with ABF from Boston to Michigan in 2005, I'll be glad to post what you say in our ABF review thread.

wyoluvr

Postby wyoluvr » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:53 pm

I did email the gm and asked him about the binding estimate and their US DOT number, which was coming up as some Georgia truck company. Their reply:

The minimum weight is 2500#, not 2700#, but that's why we weight the truck before and after. We always do non-binding estimates because we feel that the other types of estimates favors either the customer or the company one way or the other. With the non-binding estimate, everyone knows that they are paying from the actual weight on the truck. Our license numbers are as follows: Michigan Public Service Commission - #29737, ICC Motor Carrier - #418644-C, and USDOT - #1003748. Try these numbers and if you are still having problems locating us, please let me know. These numbers have been in effect since about 2002 when the current franchisee bought this franchise. Hopes this info helps.

So far, Two Men has given me the best price for what I'm getting. They'd load my stuff here in Michigan, drive down to Ohio in the same truck, and once I arrived, unload. I'm still weighing my options, but my urge to have this done is fighting the need to not screw myself on this move. Trent has been very helpful and honest, and not at all annoyed by my asking about the US DOT number.

I will tell them about my good review, and I'll post my review of ABF (and the Boston loaders if I can remember their name) when I have a chance.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:49 pm

It sounds as if you misunderstood what they said, and they have a 2500-pound minimum but were telling you that they would charge you for a maximum of 2700 pounds (approximately 110% of your estimated weight of 2500 pounds) on delivery day. That is legal, but I still think that they should be willing to give you a Binding estimate if they saw your stuff. The issue for them is going to be getting enough money to cover their gas and labor costs and make a profit. Once they commit to the load, it really doesn't matter that much if there are a few extra pounds, because the truck is still going.

That MC number is OK but the ICC (Interstate Commerce Commission) has been defunct for years so it should be listed as an MC number, not an ICC number. I added it to the Superlist, along with their legal name (Koho Inc. - I guess named after the owners). Thanks for agreeing to post your review of ABF - hope you had a good move.

Return to “Open Community”