**Suddath in Odenton Maryland

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
7Whitney

**Suddath in Odenton Maryland

Postby 7Whitney » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 pm

I had the most horrendous and stress filled move with Paramount Packing and Relocation the beginning of this year (which I have found is just that...a packing and relocation company. Paramount has no trucking or "moving" licensing, but that's another story...). I am relocating again due to work to Rochester, NY from Annapolis, MD. I've done extensive research on various companies-real ones!-in this area for my move, and have scheduled with Suddath out of Odenton, Maryland, which is a United agent. I don't see much on here for them, but their rep was outstanding and VERY thorough, and came to the house and did a binding estimate and respects my need for communication and responsiblility from their company. Because the move is 351 miles, Suddath is calling it "local", and has reassured me that my belongings will go on one truck, and that same truck will pull up to my new place in Rochester and I will be communicating with ONE person while the truck is in transit. I will post an update on Suddath once my move is done in a couple weeks...

BigLeeCalif

Re: *scheduled with Suddath in Odenton Maryland

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Suddath is a very large United agent, with many offices, and they also have their own authority for hauling interstate.

It could be that your shipment will be going on Suddath's own authority, and they control the shipment from start to finish.

I work with Suddath daily, and they have a good operation.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:58 pm

yes, Suddath United is a multi-state organization. I've researched them thoroughly, and have let them know that I have.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:57 pm

Even if they were to run your shipment on United's authority, based on the mileage guidelines it would be a mandatory self haul.

Happy moving.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:47 pm

Yes, what you say is correct. I am aware of the mileage difference that designates a local vs. long distance move.
The reason I'm even ON the message boards of Movingscam is that I'd had the great misfortune of being scammed by a poor excuse for a "moving" company during my last move, and I will NEVER allow that to happen to me again!! I know far too much now...

Postby 08151964 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:28 am

beware Suddaths claims office. Very difficult to settle for missing and damaged items. Process is excessive and they take their own time.

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:53 pm

I am THRILLED to say that my move with Suddath out of Odenton, Maryland was 100% perfect, and exactly the way it should be done. It was considered a "local" move, because it was a 351 mile move, and aside from a confusion as to which day they were coming to deliver (the driver and the rep had different days written down), their customer service was outstanding. My move was a "full pack", which means that they came and packed me, and it took 4 people 2 hours to do what it would have taken me 3-4 weeks to do. WELL worth doing! 2 of the same men that loaded my belongings onto the truck in Maryland drove to Rochester, NY with exactly the same truck my belongings had been loaded onto. They were honest, friendly, and very hard working, and made sure very carefully that everything was accounted for and nothing was broken (everything was accounted for and nothing was broken). A+!!

filipinababy

Postby filipinababy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:24 am

the agent that came out to give me an estimate requested that if I should have any claims to contact him first to expedite the process.
08151964 wrote:beware Suddaths claims office. Very difficult to settle for missing and damaged items. Process is excessive and they take their own time.

gospodyina

Re: Suddath in Odenton Maryland

Postby gospodyina » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:02 pm

I'm fascinated by all these glowing reports of Suddath. They give me something to read while I wait for their rep to come do an estimate. And since he's two hours late, I have plenty of time to read.

The first appointment was at 8 this morning. Then they changed it to 10. Then 12. Now it's 2, and I can't get a live person on the phone.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Don't judge the entire van line by the shortcomings of one agent. Since you didn't come back to say whether the sales rep ever showed or not, one would have to assume that he/she did.

The question is the explanation for the delay. Care to share?

gospodyina

Postby gospodyina » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:09 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Don't judge the entire van line by the shortcomings of one agent. Since you didn't come back to say whether the sales rep ever showed or not, one would have to assume that he/she did.

The question is the explanation for the delay. Care to share?

Never came, still hasn't called. I left a message on Saturday, didn't expect anything on Sunday, but it's now Monday afternoon, and there's been no contact.

But it's not just Suddath! I requested quotes from five ostensibly reputable companies (through their websites) last Wednesday and Thursday, and only Suddath responded at all, and then they left me in the lurch. I'm new at this--I've only moved myself before--so please share: is this the normal turnaround time? I kind of feel like I'm standing here shouting PLEASE LET ME GIVE YOU SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS and no one's reacting.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:49 pm

That is frustrating...trying to spend money with somebody that won't respond......I'm not a big fan of the internet, for various reasons, sounds like your internet inquiry was overlooked, for whatever reason....maybe they forgot to check it. duh

But if you still need to move, I would look on their websites for their phone number, and do it the old fashioned way, call them, ask for the sales dept, and ask to schedule an appointment.

If Suddath was a no-show, I think I might pass them by, and start over fresh with the others you named.

Suddath is a good company, but I can't explain what might have happened this time.

Use the internet to research, then use the phone/personal visit to make your final decision.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:36 pm

I agree with Archie. This is the busiest time of the year for moving companies. They are swamped. Call the companies directly rather than relying on making requests on the Internet. Especially if you have a small shipment, they may be focusing on servicing other customers.

For fast service, if you would consider a self-move, people have posted that ABF at www.upack.com is very responsive and courteous. They can help you find packing and loading help.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 pm

I can't imagine a multitude of moving companies not willing to give you an in home estimate.

Baltimore is within the service radius of Odenton.

So perhaps as Archie said you need to start anew.

gospodyina

Online Requests in Maryland

Postby gospodyina » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:41 am

Probably because I have the luxury of a flexible moving schedule, at this point it's become so ridiculous that I'm able to step back and look at it as more of an experiment: how long will it take these companies to respond?

Suddath: requested quote August 5, made appointment for August 8, they failed to appear and have not contacted me further.
Sterling: requested quote August 5, they have not responded.
Hampden: requested quote August 6, they have not responded.
Von Paris: requested quote August 6, they have not responded.

I know there are movers reading this forum, and this is my message to you: learn from this. If you are not going to respond to online requests, just take the online request form off your website and replace it with a page that says "please call."

On the other hand, you could just respond to online requests. That might be smarter from a business perspective.

Return to “Open Community”