G-11 and New York City moves

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
carefulamy

G-11 and New York City moves

Postby carefulamy » Sun May 09, 2004 9:29 pm

First, THANK YOU for being such a great resource, but now we need HELP!

Yesterday, we had two movers come to give us estimates on a move from NYC to San Francisco, and we had two very disparate experiences. One was pleasant and with a United agent (Wade Odell Wade Padded Van Service, Inc. out of Midland Park, NJ), and the other was with Meyers Mayflower. The guy who showed up from Meyers was unbelievable: kept saying "to be perfectly honest" (as if honesty were an issue!), kept trying to tell us what we wanted (when in fact we had done our homework), and basically got REALLY defensive when we wanted assurances that the Mayflower RICO lawsuit defendent's experiences wouldn't happen to us.

We wanted something perfectly reasonable (we think): to know ahead of time, before they show up, WHO will be driving our stuff to California, if in fact it isn't a Meyers truck (which we're pretty sure it won't be). We just want to know which other agent (presumably a CA Mayflower agent) picks up the contract in the computer system. United assured us we would know ten days ahead so that we could say no if we didn't like the track record of that other agent. It might prolong our move, but we would have the power to say no (supposedly). The Meyers guy kept saying, "The truck will have 'Mayflower' on the side," as if that were enough to reassure us. When I told him I knew about the litigation, that's when he really got uncomfortable. He didn't show up ready to give us an estimate, said he'd have to fax it to us later this week. He refused to go to the other apartment (we are moving 2 into 1 household in SF), saying he didn't have time and would have to come back later in the week to do that (so the estimate would be incomplete). After he left, our gut feeling was HELL NO would we trust that company--if he was any indication of overall quality, professionalism, and trustworthiness--to take our possessions three thousand miles away.

So, we have two other movers coming in the next three days (Bekins and Moishe's), and now there are some questions that have arisen.

One argument we find ourselves engaging in is whether the tractor-trailers can get onto our streets in Manhattan to pick up. We both live on major thoroughfares, where every day there are buses and other tractor-trailers. We don't know about our future street in SF (easy enough to check on though), but here it seems perfectly feasible. The movers seem pretty eager to say no way, that they're pretty used to using a shuttle (and, ostensibly, charging us for it). We don't love the idea of not seeing the actual truck and having our stuff handled twice, but it doesn't seem like we have a choice. The Meyers guy tried to tell us that it was the opposite, that we'd have to pay extra for the tractor-trailer pickup, and the United rep said she wasn't sure the driver wouldn't balk the day of pickup. Is there really some kind of rule?

And does 10,000 lbs for a studio and sparsely furnished 1-bdrm sound right?

Thanks!! Amy

Tyrone

Re: G-11 and New York City moves

Postby Tyrone » Mon May 10, 2004 5:46 am

10,000 pounds strikes me as nearly double what the actual weight would be... unless your shipment includes home gym weight sets, gold bricks or a collection of concrete cinder blocks...
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby 23 » Mon May 10, 2004 6:29 am

Amy,

You really don't have to ship gold bricks for the weight to be 10,000#!

Has any rep seen both places you will be moving?

The 10,000# might be a guestimate if locale #2 has been unseen.

10,000# is an average 3 BR home, so yes it does seem a little high for 2 apartments, but not impossible. Do you happen to have a lot of books? You will have a much better idea once all estimates are in.

Good luck!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 10, 2004 8:53 am

You might want to check out the thread started by "June" on her NYC to SF move. She did a lot of research and moved at the end of April. You can even send her a PM to ask her how it went. She considered Meyer's (which has been much discussed here--do a search on this board) and eventually ruled them out.

carefulamy

Postby carefulamy » Mon May 10, 2004 10:03 am

Thanks, Diane. I did look up Meyer's on the site, and much of what I saw did little to make me feel better (the only reason we asked them to show up at all was that our friends used them last year and raved).

Tyrone and 23, the estimate did include five bookshelves full of books and about eight other boxes of books kept offsite. Still, we have very little furniture...

The United rep offered to go to the other apartment but also said we could just tell her what was there, which I did pretty descriptively. Should I insist they see the other place?

But does anyone know the answer to the G-11 conundrum? In the June thread Diane mentioned from a few months ago, she also seemed to be forced to accept the shuttle scenario as truth...

Amy

Postby 23 » Mon May 10, 2004 10:09 am

Amy,

A shuttle is when a smaller truck is needed to load your items.

A G-11 is when the out of town driver cannot make the load date and the booking agent or origin agent is responsible for picking it up to meet the guaranteed date.

These are not the same things!

I would suggest the sales reps see both places!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 10, 2004 10:20 am

Amy,

On the shuttle thing, you might want to look at the thread started by "Ray" on his move from Manhattan to Seattle with Broadway Express. This is one quote from that thread:
Ray wrote:Just wanted to post an update regarding our upcoming move to Seattle. After contacting two full service van lines here, they turned out to be rather non-responsive (maybe because we don't have much stuff approximately 2200#) We decided to go with Broadway Express. I spoke with Don Girard. His quote was for 6 linear-ft plus 15 ft for the car, $2,940 plus $300 entrant fee for the tractor-trailer coming into Manhattan. And yes, BE would bring a 53' (with cab 74') truck onto my block on 1/12. Really have to see how that's going to work. Informed the local precinct and they have no problem with it. Now I just hope Mother Nature would cooperate on that day. Don also told me it's 5-8 days spread.

Although it was a bit of a cliffhanger because Ray was on a street with alternate-side parking, and there was the possibility of snow, in the end all went well. On that thread I questioned why BE, with its 70-foot trucks, was apparently able to get into the NYC boroughs when the major van lines had to use shuttles. I know you aren't considering BE but just thought I would point you to that thread.

A person posting here as "KJ" who was moving from Chicago to Arizona at the end of April posted on a different thread that Jess at BE took a personal interest in her situation:
KJ wrote:In fact, yesterday while we were on the phone he mapped out my street address and noticed that I live near one of the Chicago elevated train viaducts. I do -- four blocks away in fact. He suggested I walk down to check out their posted clearance as their trucks need at least 13' 7" clearance. The viaduct only has a clearance of 12' 6". ARGH!

I never would have thought about the viaduct issue so I'm really glad I called BE directly! It helps that their located just south of Chicago so they know to ask certain things!

After talking to Jesse again today, he looked at his map and said they might be able to come in from the north (via Evanston) and said he's known drivers to take a taxi into the area first to scope it out.

When you deal directly with a locally-based hauler, there's a possibility of getting personal attention like this. However, one of the moving professionals posting here said that most major van lines just have a standard policy that they will figure shuttles into the cost when a move involves a large, congested city like New York.

carefulamy

Postby carefulamy » Mon May 10, 2004 1:27 pm

I am wondering why the Meyers guy kept mentioning G-11: perhaps because the out-of-town driver who picks up the job (from CA?) could balk at having to come into Manhattan on the day of the move? And then cause umpteen more additional problems, like the agent not having arranged for a shuttle beforehand? Is it possible that our stuff could end up in storage for a few days should that happen? I am thinking that G-11 came into the conversation for a reason, although that could have just been the Meyers guy trying to scare us into just "letting them do their job." (Isn't the whole problem with the moving industry that trust is a relative thing?)

I did see a tractor-trailer in both neighborhoods this morning (both roads are five-six lanes across including parking), though admittedly there is a REALLY small United truck parked across the street this afternoon, apparently loading up some small apartment (or just doing the packing--who knows).

It seems to me that Broadway Express is very reasonable--too bad our move is too big to use them!

There is a Bekins guy coming in a few hours; I'll let you know how that goes...

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 10, 2004 2:10 pm

Amy, I would never recommend a DITY carrier if you want and can afford to hire a full-service mover, but even if you have 10,000 pounds that's less than 20 linear feet of space and would be no problem for BE to handle. You'd have to get local labor to help you load, of course. Ray used a small company that he was very satisfied with, and others have also been mentioned on this board. Good luck with Bekins!

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon May 10, 2004 2:22 pm

I would absolutely recommend a DITY carrier instead of a full service mover, if you wish to minimize the statistical chances of being victimized by a hostage load situation.

carefulamy

Postby carefulamy » Mon May 10, 2004 2:39 pm

I think what makes me most nervous is hiring a company in NYC that then you don't see again b/c another agent's driver & truck picks your stuff up. So you base your decision on the one agent, yet your entire move is handled by someone else--it seems like THAT is when there is potential for all kinds of things to go wrong. We just called V. Santini, which is an Atlas agent, and they're coming on Wednesday. It seemed to me that we needed to have a mid-size moving network in the mix, just for comparison's sake. When we called, the rep we spoke to claimed that they have a truck already slated to go to CA at the same time that we need a truck, so it's potentially guaranteed to be one of their own trucks, which is shaping up to be somewhat important to us.

On the other hand, what do people here think of our scraping the whole full-service mover idea and driving the stuff out west ourselves, paying people on both ends to pack the truck, paying a supposedly fantastic local company to do that? Wouldn't we have more control over everything then? (And yes, I realize additional, other headaches...)

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon May 10, 2004 2:47 pm

CarefulAmy,

My personal opinion is that you have just described the option that offers the greatest protection against being scammed.

As you mentioned, of course there are headaches involved in DIY moves. However, those headaches pale in comparison to the mental, emotion and financial devestation that can accompany being trapped in a hostage load scam at the hands of an unscrupulous "full-service" mover.

I believe that wherever possible, consumers should move themselves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 10, 2004 2:53 pm

Amy,

As Tyrone just said, the "consumerguy" people posting regularly on this board believe that driving a rental van is your safest option, then a DITY move with someone else driving is your next safest, and then using a full-service mover is your least safe option, partly because it could be a scam company that you're dealing with.

Speaking only for myself and not for the other volunteers, I feel that driving a rental van of the size you would need would be an enormous hassle and very expensive. I would recommend that you get a quote from Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net if you're leaning in this direction. The same BE driver stays with the truck the whole time, you don't have any lodging expenses, and the loading issues are no greater than with a rental van. Just ask BE not to give you a driver with a girlfriend who breaks toilet seats (they'll understand :wink: ).

If you want to use a full-service company where the crew that picks you up stays with the van the whole time, the only company I've read about on this board that does that is South Hills Movers out of Pennsylvania. A person posting here as "tendertush" used them and raved about them. I stress that I have no personal knowledge of this company, but you might want to do a search to see what tendertush said.

Hope this helps.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 10, 2004 5:57 pm

there's always the option of having a friend or coworker drive the big rental truck, if Amy isn't comfortable with it. A small incentive, plus hotel and meals paid, I bet she could find someone.

carefulamy

Postby carefulamy » Mon May 10, 2004 10:10 pm

The Bekins (Maffucci) guy came an hour and a half late this evening, but made up for it by being relatively professional and not squawking about going to the other apartment. The not-to-exceed estimate came in at 7000 lbs, and he saw all my books. He made us feel better by claiming two things: that because they go to CA all the time, it will be one of their trucks (he claimed he could guarantee it) and that it will be the actual tractor-trailer--he said it should be no problem, no extra fees, etc. A few worries though: they are under the tariff that allows fees for stairs and long carries, and he wasn't sure that the truck would also work in front of our house in San Francisco. He seemed a little apprehensive about actually finding out ahead of time. Also, it's so much cheaper than United...

We now still have Moishe's coming and now an Atlas agent.

A new question has arisen: Is it awful not to be on the other end to take delivery? We are considering letting them take the stuff early so that it will be there (we hope) by the time we arrive by plane. Is it acceptable to let a family member or trusted friend accept delivery? Is that potentially setting ourselves up for more headaches? Like, will payment be an issue? Would it be like saying, "please screw with us?"

Return to “Open Community”