Have you heard Compass Vanlines in Orlando FL?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hirokorin

Have you heard Compass Vanlines in Orlando FL?

Postby hirokorin » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:29 am

Is Compass Vinlines the same with www.compassmovers.com or www.compassrelocation.com that has bad review? I am planning to use them, but want to know the company is reliable or not.

Thanks

farrah7031

Re: Have you heard Compass Vanlines in Orlando FL?

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Compass Van lines, which is in Lakeland (near Orlando) Has only been licensed to do interstate moves for less than 2 months.
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

Are you moving out of state? Are you in Orlando? Did they come and do an in home inspection?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:22 pm

Oh wait, I see you're in Massachusetts. You need a LOCAL mover to come and do an IN HOME ESTIMATE. Throw out any movers that aren't local.

Here's reviews to movers in your area, find some highly rated companies and have them come and do an in home estimate for you.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7647#57647

hirokorin

Postby hirokorin » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi Thanks for your quick reply. I moved to Boston with minimum items so now I am trying to move my furniture which is about 20 boxes, bed and living room set.

one more thing I pay bed (queen size bed frame, 2 night stand, dresser) and L sectional couch for about $2400. Sofa is like 6 months old and bed sets are 5 years old. I am wondered which is cheaper if I sell them there and not to bring here since some quate is coming back 2000 door to door, Only thing I really want to bring is boxes anf 40 inches tv.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:11 pm

If you're worried about price, you can either look into an ABF Relocube at www.upack.com or you can sell your couch and bed.

hirokorin

Postby hirokorin » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks for the good info. I have heard the concept before but it seems compass vanline gives me better deal and that's why I wanted to know the reputation, but i understand if they don't have much review if they got their lisence just two months ago.

By the way what do you mean 'intrastate' or 'interstate' you mentioned in your reply? Does this company liscenced out of state moving as well?

Thanks

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:56 am

What seems like a better deal at this time of the move is not always a better deal at the end of your move!! The types of companies that give this kind of estimate almost ALWAYS changes the price by the end of the move and you usually do not receive good service and are left wondering when and if you will ever see your items again.

I live in Lakeland, and I will take a ride to their location and advise if there is an actual business located here, many of these types of companies also don't really have an office with warehouse, equipment, etc.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

PGMcK

Postby PGMcK » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:30 am

PMueller is very generous to go take a look at that company for the move in question. Thanks from a reader.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:11 am

Intrastate is within the state and Interstate is a move between states. They can move interstate, but they've only been licensed for 2 months, which is NOT long enough.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:39 pm

BE VERY CAUTIOUS!! I WOULD ADVISE AGAINST THE USE OF THIS COMPANY.
They are located in a less than desirable section of Lakeland, they are in a small strip center. They do have a roll up door in the rear of the building, but not much space there. There was 1 truck parked behind the building when I went by late this evening, just before dark. This is the disturbing part:

The truck is identified as Globus Vanlines. The following address, phone and information is on the door of the truck:

3889 Sheridan St.
Hollywood, FL 33021
888-845-6287
MC# 522115
DOT# 1363174

Globus is on the blacklist here.

I have photos of the truck and building if Diane, MusicMom or Farrah are interested or want to post them. Send me a private message and let me know where you want them emailed.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

hirokorin

Postby hirokorin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:27 pm

Thank you so much!!!! Good to know before I use them... Now I am seriousely thinking about using U pack. My coworker used it and it sounded good as well.

Again, Thank you so much.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:02 am

According to the FL Department of Corporations, Compass Van Lines has existed since October of 2001. So why are they ony now getting a license? Oh, I see. In March 2007 they changed their name from Jordan Concepts to Compass Van Lines. It had been owned by Elaine Sanchez, then when the name changed it was taken over by Leon Gaon. There's no license for a moving company with Jordan in the name in FL, so if they've been operating under that name since 2001 (their website use 2001 as the start date), it either was not interstate or it wasn't legal.

Looking at their website some more, I see other glaring lies. They say outright that they have 36 straight and 10 semi trucks, when they told the DOT that they only have one truck and driver. Their references go back to 2003, for a move from FL to Texas. Know what? They HAVE to be faked letters. The one I'm looking at the top right reference letter, is dated August 6, 2003. Just above you can see the chopped-off DOT and MC numbers that do correspond with the licenses for Compass which were activated just months ago. However, DOT numbers are given out sequentially, each carrier that applies for a DOT number is given the next one in line that is avaliable. The 7-digit numbers starting with "16" are brand-new, as the most recently assigned DOT number is 1674220, applied for on August 6. No way a company in business since 2001 willl have a DOT number that high. Unless Maria in the letter is psychic and knew what the DOT number would be in 2007? :roll:

But if they have ANYTHING to do with Globus, even if it's subcontracting to Globus and PMueller saw a goods transfer going on, that's a very bad sign.

You have a very small move, and small moves like that require a lot of flexibility on your part. The loads have to be consolidated, which takes time, then delivered, which takes more time because of the number of stops. Beware of anyone promising you a direct shipment or a short timeframe, as logistically, that just doesn't work in the moving business.

bechey

Postby bechey » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:08 pm

I just decided to go online and do some searching on Compass Van Lines. We just used them in November to move us from FL to MD. Our move was AWFUL! Not only did they not finish moving us but they stole our 60" TV, vacuum, and my daughters new toy she got for her birthday. They were rude, unprofessional, and refuse to pay us back. We are now going through the arbitration process to try and get our money back. DO NOT USE COMPASS VAN LINES!!!! They will steal your stuff, break things and add in extra charges at the end of your move. I have made complaints to the BBB, AMSA, and have now filed arbitration. There has been no response from Compass regarding the arbitration and the deadline is next week. They do not care about their customers, instead, they are probably running a "used furniture and electronics store" somewhere in South Florida!

loreesp

Postby loreesp » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:18 am

NEVER NEVER HIRED THEM!!

I did last week .. they come to pick up my stuff, they didnt want unsable nothing .. hubby did . they told me they will be in Orlando at 3 pm .. and they never show up till next day when i call the office the women MARY she was acting like she didnt know any thing .. the dispacher was very rud, when my stuff came next day one of the dresser was broke , all scrashed, and in very bad conditions, they didnt want to bring my furniture out of the car if we dont pay before .. NEVER NEVER HIRED THEM ! THEY LIE!! DONT TRUST !!!

ctalluto

Postby ctalluto » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:55 am

I am currently looking for a reputable mover to move my belongings from Hallandale Beach to New York city and I spoke to Mary at Compass Van Lines. She seemed very professional and very knowledgable and she new all the right things to say. But after reading the reviews on this website, I would never use them!!! Does any one have any suggestions on othrer movers?
Craig

Return to “Open Community”