^Delivery delayed beyond Bill of Lading Date

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
clavyw

^Delivery delayed beyond Bill of Lading Date

Postby clavyw » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:13 am

I used an United agent to have my household goods moved from Philadelphia to Chicago(5000lbs at GNTE $3968.11 w/ doing the packing myself). As of 5pm today the contract will be breeched as we will be outside the 5-10 window of delivery.
Our stuff was picked up via shuttle service on 7/28. It is still sitting in Philadelphia as I guess one driver could not take it on 8/01, and it wasn't reassigned. I would call that neglect.
Now customer service says it can be picked on the 13th and delivered on the 16th, which is 9 days past the bill of lading. [b]They say there is nothing they can do to get it here earlier.[/b] I think the agent should be willing to step outside the box, maybe make another shipment a day late and get ours here earlier or rent a truck and take it here with a couple of employees.
They have offered us hotel (we have a dog) and 50% or $125/day per diem. They say the can't give us more per diem as it comes from a small fund. It has been a huge inconvience, we had to buys clothes for work, air mattress, etc...
Getting our stuff here is more important than the money at this point and I think they should be able to make it work. I contacting an attorney for guidance on the breech of contract.
I informed the agent that it would be in his best interest to get the our goods asap, because they will lose business as this website is awaiting a review on our experience with this agent. Any suggestions?

Jim

Re: Delivery delayed beyond Bill of Lading Date

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:03 am

clavyw, even though the company is going to deliver outside the window, the moving company legally has 30 days from the last day of the window to deliver your goods. While they might be in breach of your agreement, the law protects the moving company and not the consumer in this case.

There are a couple of volunteers (BigLeeCalif and Archie White) who work for (or in Archie's case - owns) United/Mayflower agencies - if you send them a PM with your order number, they might be able to help you or give you more information about what's happening with your shipment.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

clavyw

Postby clavyw » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks for the tip, Archie is looking into the situation for me.

Am I able to dispute the charge for the full fee? What good is the bill of lading if there is no repercussions if they don't work within the dates?

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:58 pm

clavyw, you won't get the entire fee, but I would say the per diem being offered for every day late is pretty good. Insofar as the answer to your other question - the delay claim is in essence a penalty for the mover because they didn't deliver your goods within the established deadline.

You may not believe the repercussions to be serious, however let me explain why they are.

Moving agencies generally earn $0.05 profit for every dollar in revenue, so the profit they would have earned (if delivered on time) on your move is less than $200. If they do turn out to be 9 days late, you're looking at a $1,125 claim that they agreed to pay you. Just to make that up, the moving company needs to perform 5 moves just like yours absolutely perfectly - no claims, no delays, nothing. Five perfect pristine moves. And that's just to get back to zero profit! Meanwhile, the driver's making money, the packing teams are making money..... and the moving company isn't. That's a grim picture for a mover......
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:45 pm

Unfortunately there has been a lot more business this summer than normal in some areas, and some relocations haven't been accomplished in a timely manner.

What is of little consolation is to say that over 90% of moves during the summer get delivered on time; especially when yours is one of the 10% that don't.

Make sure to get receipts for every item of essential expense you make until your shipment is delivered. The van line will require receipts to honor your delay claim.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”