Move from Houston, TX to Cleveland, Ohio complete

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
RLLM2007

Move from Houston, TX to Cleveland, Ohio complete

Postby RLLM2007 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Well, it was quite an adventure. Gator picks up the truck sending Baer Movers. Nice guys that come with an enclosed carrier instead of open one. Apparently they are picking up a car in Houston that required a closed carrier (Mustang Selene) and we get an added bonus of an enclosed ride for our car at no extra cost.

We rented the Penske truck with help in loading coming from a company named Holland. They were nice guys and they worked hard. Left on Saturday morning. One hour out of Houston on 59 a car on the road alerted us that something was wrong in the back of the truck. We pulled over. My husband walked to the back of the truck and examined the car carrier. The rear wheel on the passenger side was smoking and then on fire. No fire extinquisher on the truck and no liquids in our possession. My husband rushed to unload our car. Another driver pulled over and ran back with every liquid they had in their car. Fire went out, started up again. Truck drivers pull over with extinquishers--fire went out and started up again. Fire department comes, fire is put out.

Penske 24 car sends a tow truck prepared to fix a tire when clearly told we needed a new carrier. The brakes on the wheels had not been adjusted correctly by the office in Houston and they got hot and set the tire on fire. (Westheimer office near Galleria just pass Sage.) Four hour wait for new carrier. Finally, we get car carrier. Get back on the road.

Somewhere in TN, around a hundred miles from Memphis, the brakes on the truck lock up. 24 hour care sends a local maintenance guy that informs us that the ABS system is out and the box burnt up. Penske tells us to take the truck to Memphis (outside of our route). We get to Memphis and wait eight hours for them to put new brake pads on the truck and are informed that it will be a number of hours longer to get the anti-lock brakes done. We determine to go on without them.

The rest of the ride was fine. Get to Cleveland and the Baer car movers deliver the car just fine. So, Gator is to be commended. While I am giving directions to the unloaders, Your Movers, prior to their arrival, I receive a call from my husband. Three blocks away from our new home, he and my son are hit on the passenger side by a truck. The driver of which didn't even hit his brakes prior to impact. The car we towed on the car carrier, our beautiful BMW, is totalled.

No one was hurt which is amazing considering the damage to the car. The whole car was bent with the back seat rearranged so that it rested against the front, front windshield was shattered, passenger window completely gone. My son was burned by the side air bag and my husband's brains were scrambled a bit, but no injuries beyond this. (Husband may even be better than before :D)

The car carrier guy was wonderfully patient as I had to go to the accident scene to get the money order to pay him. The unloading guys were wonderful and got everything out of the truck in a timely manner and even caught my husband a couple of times when he collasped having refused to go to the hospital and helped him to a seat.

All in all, I actually enjoyed the trip. The dogs (two large dogs) did well in the truck as it was a 26 footer. I could have done without the drama; but, everyone involved, except the Houston Penske office should be commended for the work they did. Oh, Penske took off the cost of the car carrier, reimbursed us seventy dollars worth of gas, paid for the extra night in a hotel, and gave us two hundred and fifty dollars off of the rental cost. We were so glad to give that truck back to them we could have kissed the girl at the desk when we brought it in. Never, ever, ever will we do this again.

ArchieWhite

Re: **Move from Houston, TX to Cleveland, Ohio complete

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:48 am

Wow, thats some story and experience...glad it turned out ok...Just curious about one thing....How much money did you save vs using a professional mover? I'm wondering if all the risks you took and close calls you had were worth the savings.....if you care to share, thanks.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:14 am

Definitely an unusual situation! I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt.

RLLM2007

Postby RLLM2007 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:49 pm

We came in around fifteen hundred dollars below the one in home estimate that was made. I should say that Penske said that problems like our's were rare and this came from the girl that checked the truck in on its return and it was her last day at work. She had worked for them for three years. Also, folks we met along the road that had rented Penske trucks, and had taken them across the country on a move, all said that they had no problems. I suspect the Houston office was to blame. We will still never make a move like this ourselves again.

The car accident can in no way be blamed on the move. In fact, traffic lights that were recently installed in the area we now live can not be clearly seen from the road until you are right under them. In the week since the accident, we have seen the remnants of two other accidents where cars were crossing that same street. The same type of lights regulating the traffic hang at these intersections. The lights have these wierd guards that cover the light which make it hard to see which colored light is lit.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Penske has good trucks, they rotate them out of the rental fleet every 2-3 years or a certain mileage, so you probably just got one that was due for replacement soon. Trucks ( and cars) are better than they used to be, a lot more dependable, but they are still machines, with parts that break and need fixin. Sounds like they adjusted their prices, to help out with the inconvenience however.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Are these traffic lights the kind with the flat glass coating? We've got a few of those around here, and I always slow down and endure the honks because I can't see if it's green or red until I'm only 10 feet in front of the white line. My car is old and heavy and can't stop that fast if I misjudge it and the light's red.

I can't believe a city official has never noticed these lights' glaring deficiencies.

RLLM2007

Postby RLLM2007 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:40 pm

I am not sure if they have a flat glass coating or not. The do have these guards with vertical strips of metal or something in front of them. However, the way you describe not being able to see the color of the light until you are beyond the white line and have committed yourself to go or stop is extremely accurate. You have to have your front tires way beyond the light and be almost under it in order to see what color the light is. If you are familiar with this area and understand the traffic at that intersection (first you have to go over train tracks for the subway system and stop just after those tracks so you don't get hit by a train car). Once you clear the tracks, you have a limited amount of space between the tracks and the light for the intersection. Unless you know to approach the light slowly until you see its color, you just can not tell. The traffic moves pretty swiftly down that street.

The garage where the car was towed said that the same thing happened to another couple the same day at another intersection along that same street. She was in the first car and stopped suddenly so that she could see the light color. He was behind her. The car behind him rammed his car. He was pushed into her car. His car was totalled and her's was heavily damaged. The garage guy said it has been crazy with accidents at those lights around here. They just installed these lights recently according to a neighbor that heard the accident and ran out to check on everyone and there have been problems every since.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:18 am

What a saga . . .

Talking just about the auto transport companies, it seems as if Gator in TX gave your move to Baer Transportation in OH with website http://www.gobaer.com/ Judging from its website, Baer appears to be a broker specializing in enclosed transport. I'm glad they were good, but wow, this is a lot of layers for your quote from Gator of $750. I wonder how or whether Gator made any money on the deal.

RLLM2007

Postby RLLM2007 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:14 am

I don't know if they did or not. I just know that Baer did an excellent job and I was very pleased with working with them and the individuals that did the hauling. I suspect Gator had hired them to take the Salene (Mustang) from Houston to Cleveland for a car dealership and that is where they made their money. We just lucked out to be in the right place at the right time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:27 am

Maybe Baer (which I'm pretty sure is a broker) was actually the one that hired Gator (which I'm pretty sure is a carrier). Maybe the guys were wearing Baer uniforms or whatever but really worked for Gator. - Anyway, the important thing, as you say, is that they did a good job.

If you want to post contact info for Holland and Your Movers, I'll include those companies in the Superlist. Did you get them from eMove.com?

RLLM2007

Postby RLLM2007 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:02 pm

I originally contact Gator. Then, Baer called. Both Holland and Your Movers were referrals from emove. I will get their contact information and put it on the site.

Return to “Open Community”