^Move from Chicago to Bozeman, MT - Planes, and delayed delivery

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
toro

^Move from Chicago to Bozeman, MT - Planes, and delayed delivery

Postby toro » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:53 pm

I moved from Chicago to Bozeman, using Planes (United Van Lines). I moved to Bozeman last weekend already, but my things are still on the way, and actually the scheduled arrival is now delayed for at least four days.

Planes was very professional in coming up with quotes. And the company gets a very good review here on this board (that's one of the reasons why I chose Planes.)

My stuff was picked up on July 31 (they arrived more than 30 min. later than promised), and the people from Planes did the packing and loading jobs just fine. It was promised that my stuff would be delivered between Aug 4 and 11, but it turned out that their truck failed to pick up mine- and I was told that it won't be arriving until Aug 15. They offered me that starting Aug 11, I can stay at a hotel and the cost is covered by them, and they will cover 50% of the cost that I pay for the food during those days until my stuff would arrive.

However, I already moved in my new apartment -and although it's empty now, it is a big trouble for me to stay in a hotel for those days (I need to prepare for my new job in town, etc.) ! In addition, Bozeman is close to Yellowstone, which means that most hotels are actually full (and expensive) at this time of the year!

I am now trying to negotiate some discount, instead of a hotel stay - and after talking with the rep for two days, the three choices I was given today were: 1) their original proposal- hotel and 50% of the food, 2) $50 per day by cash (so likely about $200 from Aug 11-15), and 3) $100 cash to purchase air mattress and comforter, and 50% of food. Although I would choose 2) if I only have these choices, I feel the calculation doesn't quite make sense. I checked hotel prices in Bozeman, and even the cheapest hotel costs over $100 per night (and many of them do not have vacancies during this time). Actually Planes told me that they would only cover cheap hotels such as Days Inn, etc. In addition, if they are capable of paying way over $100/day for the hotel and food (which is necessary, with the hotel price in this area now), I don't get why they are paying only $50/day if I choose not to stay in a hotel, for all the inconvenience and change of schedules that this delay is causing me? And I moved to my apartment on Aug 3, just because Planes told me that they would deliver my stuff any time between Aug 4 and 11.. so I had to be here!
I will try to negotiate more tomorrow..

I am curious what people did in case their things didn't arrive in schedule as promised. I am glad that Planes is keeping me posted on the status of delivery, but the deal they originally offered (hotel stay) doesn't work for me... How did people deal in the delayed delivery situation like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Re: Move from Chicago to Bozeman, MT - Planes, and delayed delivery

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:56 pm

It is against the law for a household goods carrier to adjust the bill of lading or freight bill charges to negotiate or settle property damage, cargo damage or inconvenience claims. Under the Uniform Commercial Code, “a person who knowingly accepts or receives from a carrier a rebate or offset against the rate specified in a tariff required under 49 U.S.C. 13702 for the transportation of property delivered to the carrier commits a violation for which the penalty is equal to three times the amount accepted as a rebate or offset and three times the value of other consideration accepted or received as a rebate or offset for the six-year period before the action is begun.”

If the prevailing rate for available 3 star “traveler” hotel rooms in the market is $175, most carriers will usually honor receipts submitted under option #1 that are reasonably within the norm. It would be the customer’s prerogative to arrange to stay in a 5 star, $290 a night room.

Option # 2 is usually offered when a customer has significantly less out-of-pocket expense because they already have temporary living accommodations such as staying with family or friends.

Option # 3 is a hybrid offer of options 1 and 2 and is usually used in those situations in which temporary living accommodations are available but they lack adequate sleeping and/or eating arrangements.

The consumer protection regulations regarding the transportation of household goods requires that a carrier must give you notification that it will be unable to provide the service specified in the terms of the order for service. Nothing in the regulations requires that a customer must be at their residence during the entire agreed delivery period of time. You’re only required to be available when the carrier tenders your shipment for delivery.

While the three options mentioned are the standard allowances, you can submit any receipts you want as part of your inconvenience claim. Most reputable carriers are sensitive to extenuating circumstances where their service failure causes undo hardship and may accept receipts for items such as an inexpensive cookware set, crib or bed rental, clothes cleaning, and some groceries and personal care products, etc. It’s always best to negotiate these kinds of exceptions in advance, however, unless you can afford the expense if they’re not reimbursed.

toro

Re: ^Move from Chicago to Bozeman, MT - Planes, and delayed delivery

Postby toro » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Thank you so much, Rick, for the detailed information! Your explanation makes sense, and it is helpful to get the information. I will contact the customer service of the mover tomorrow.

Planes was doing a good job until this delay incident occured - so I am hoping this will get resolved soon.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:48 pm

My question is was your shipment to be hauled by a Planes driver? Even though Planes has a hauling fleet, sometimes HQ will refuse a request to self haul, and at that point Planes would lose control of the delivery schedule.

To be honest, the amount of tonnage from the East into Montana this year hasn't been great, and it may have taken longer than anticipated to fill that van out for the trip.

We have Planes trucks in our place all the time.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Planes is a good company. I suspect that they will administer your inconvenience claim responsibly. Go visit Boodle's while you're waiting and enjoy some good jazz.

toro

Postby toro » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 pm

Thank you Bigleecalf and Rick for your replies. I was told that the truck (not the shuttle one used from my Chicago apt) failed to pick up my stuff, by some kind of error... so they had to reschedule the shipment.

Anyways, I will give a call to Planes tomorrow, and try to settle the situation... They certainly have been responsible for keeping in touch with me about my shipment.

I have been to Boodles only once (too expensive for me..), but it was certainly a nice place! Do they have live performance of jazz? Probably I should go! :D

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

if you want to pm me with your order number, I can go into the system and get a status update.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”