^Where is my furniture?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cfuglein

^Where is my furniture?

Postby cfuglein » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:35 am

I'm using North American, allegedly one of the best, to move from Pennsylvania to Louisiana.

My stuff was packed on the 7th, last Tuesday. Here it is the 14th, and I don't have it yet. It was promised to be delivered nlt the 14th. My moving coordinator now says it will be delivered between the 15th and 20th.

For gosh sakes, they can't narrow down a 30 trip to a more specific date span than 10 days? I don't think my coordinator even knows where my furniture is, much less when it's going to be delivered.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting in an empty house, my wife has a broken arm, my dogs are traumatized because they have no furniture to climb on, and I'm totally disrupting my daughter's family life living with her in a cramped home. North American has my money, has my stuff. I have no leverage. No wonder there is a need for this website. This industry is just broken.

What recourse do I have? How can I make them deliver my furniture? I'm beyond outraged and am physically and emotionally spent. What can I do?
Carl

Jim

Re: Where is my furniture?

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:49 am

Carl, under the law, the van line has 30 days from the original delivery date to get your things to you. I would suspect your coordinator knows where your items are; the problem is getting a truck to deliver the items to you, and your coordinator is having a tough time trying to figure out when dispatch can get a truck out to Louisiana. I don't know how many pounds your shipment is estimated to be, but we are finding problems like yours are occurring with light shipments (between 3,000 and 5,000 lbs.). Just know the van line will deliver your shipment - it would cost them more not to deliver.

You will be entitled to what the company calls a "delay claim" and the amount will vary based on the number of days past the last date of the delivery window. The claim may range anywhere between $50-$100 per day for every day past the last day (the 14th in your situation). It may seem like small compensation to you for the trouble caused, but it does essentially mean the van line is giving up more than the profit they would have earned on your move.

Please come back and let us know how it turns out.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:55 am

Jim wrote:Carl, under the law, the van line has 30 days from the original delivery date to get your things to you.

What happens after 30 days?

They have stated that I'll be getting $125 a day after the 14th, but the compensation is not the point. My whole house buying and moving experience has been a nightmare. I just want my stuff. If they weren't going to be able to schedule the move, then why did they even bother to pick up my stuff? It seems that in the end, they're going to lose money on the whole proposition. How the heck can they even stay in business?

BTW, we almost filled a trailer. Our goods were estimated at 8900 #. That trailer is losing money every day it sits. Unless, God forbid, they unloaded it and stored it.

thanks for the comments.
Carl

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:11 am

Trailers load over 20,000 Lbs, some close to 25,000 Lbs. So I don't think your goods are sitting on a trailer. More likely, they are in a warehouse waiting for a driver to come and load them.

Have you contacted NAVL Corporate Customer Service? Their number should be on your Order for Service. Ask them if your goods are actually ON a truck or still sitting in the warehouse.

I know the delays are really tough to put up with. They are motivated to get this delivered as soon as they can to stop paying out the delay claim. It's just a tough process when the entire system is overwhelmed with demand, one truck can break down or one customers' escrow gets a delivery delayed, and it's a horrible chain reaction of delays throughout the network.

cfuglein

Re: ^Where is my furniture?

Postby cfuglein » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Well, they finally showed up today. The 3 guys that unloaded were super nice and very careful with my stuff. Very respectful, and they knew they were late and apologized, even though it was not their fault they were late - they picked up the load in PA on Wednesday, picked up a second load on Thursday in DC, and were here on Saturday at 10 am. They worked straight through - no lunch break - I told them I'd bring them lunch, but they wanted to get done - so they did get done by 4 and I gave the driver some money for their supper.

All my stuff was on the truck (including one chair that was NOT mine - they think they stole it from the loading dock on their second load), and nothing appeared to be broken.

Except for the lateness of the load, all in all, I'm pretty happy with the move. I just hate it when someone promises something and can't keep the promise. My car was promised on Tuesday, then Wednesday, and it showed up Thursday night at 10. The household goods were promised by the 14th, and showed up on the 18th.

The unloaders did the best job (A-1 Freeman out of Dallas); the packers did the second best, and the initial loaders were 3rd. The packers and loaders were from North American Wayne moving & storage in West Chester. I still can't figure out who screwed up on the late load - Freeman is blaming Wayne, and I haven't talked to anyone at Wayne. In any event, the load was 4 days late, and I'm supposed to get $500.

Also, the load was 4,000 # lighter than estimated, so I should be getting some money back there, too.
Carl

Diane

Re: **^Where is my furniture?

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:44 am

Glad it worked out as well as it did, Carl, and I'll update my remarks about your move on the Superlist linked to below my name. I rather doubt that Wayne was responsible for your delayed delivery unless they themselves initially promised to haul the shipment and then backed out, which seems unlikely. More likely someone at Freeman failed to register the move with the van line in a timely way. Also, I know in these "account" moves - which you said yours was, although you were paying for it - the discount negotiated by employers is often very high. If your discount approached 70% that could have made it difficult for the van line to find a driver to accept the shipment.

Anyway, getting some money back because the weight was lower than the estimate plus $500 for the 4-day delay beyond the delivery spread should ease your pain a bit! Plus it was nice that the Freeman drivers were so polite and apologetic. Thanks for sharing your story.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:56 pm

So herre's the whole story, and I still have some questions.

I booked the move in June with A-1 Freeman on a national company contract, although I'm paying for it myself. When I booked it, I gave them a range of dates - I had no deadline, but wanted to move in early August. They told me that August 7 was doable, and they would deliver by August 10-14. My load was estimated at 18,900 #, and they said they might add another smaller load to it.

The packers came on Monday, August 6. Three of the 4 guys worked hard and seemed to do a good job, although we've found a few things that could've been packed much better. We've found a few broken pieces so far.

On Tuesday, August 7, 4 guys came to load, and they worked okay, and loaded about 3/4 of a trailer. They said that no load would be added to it, but that it would probably go on its own.

The packers and movers were from Wayne moving & storage in West Chester, PA.

Then my household goods sat on that trailer until Wednesday, August 15, already a day past the delivery window. In the meantime, my contact at Freeman kept saying that she didn't know why it hadn't been shipped, and that the "new" delivery date was "maybe" August 20.

Finally, on the 15th, a very professional crew of 3 from Dallas, Tx from Freeman, loaded my stuff from the Wayne trailer to a Freeman trailer. They only filled 2/3 of the van - packing it much tighter than Wayne had. On the 16th, they picked up another, smaller load, in D.C. They were supposed to pick up a 3rd load in North Carolina, but it got cancelled. On the 17th, they drove to Mississippi, and on the 18th, 11 days after it was originally packed, they delivered to my house.

My question is this - who is responsible for it being late? Wayne, or Freeman? I only talked to Freeman, and they kept saying that it should have been delivered by the 14th. Either my contact at Freeman was lying and a very good actress, or it was someone else's fault. I tend to believe her.

Is there a North American organization that is higher up than Wayne or Freeman that is responsible for dispatch? Are they to blame?

And finally, how can it possibly be cost effective to repack 7 tons of stuff? Why not leave it on the first trailer? Transferring it to another trailer only takes time and increases the possibility of loss and damage.

They say they're going to reimburse me for the lateness, and I have no reason to doubt this (because I now have my company's national account rep involved), but who winds up paying it? Wayne, or Freeman?

Just a final comment - after spending the last few months on this forum, I'm convinced of only one thing - there are good movers and bad movers, and the bad ones far outweigh the good ones. I believe it's an absolute crapshoot as to whether or not you get a good mover, even if you stick with the reputable companies. I talked some with the driver that unloaded us, and he's worked for a couple different companies, and he pretty much agreed that it was a broken industry. I wouldn't even know where to begin to tell anyone how to move, other than to stay far, far, away from the "internet" movers.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my rants over the last month or so. I actually did learn a lot about the industry from being here, and it's pretty scary.
Carl

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:03 pm

You need to contact NAVL Customer SErvice, their 800# should be on the top of your Bill of Lading. They need to give you delay claim forms, and they will handle any damage and delay claim.

The local pick up was placed on a trailer owned by Wayne Moving. It is probably just a local trailer and would not be sent all the way to your destination. Plus, when the A1 Freeman crew came, they had to check off the shipment and load this into their own trailer that they operate. Agents don't swap trailers, there is considerable investment and they are owned by those agencies.

As for WHY the delay, it's summer. You may never know exactly who, where or why. It happened. Deal direct with NAVL to get your delay comp and any damages paid for.

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:10 pm

Nancy wrote:The local pick up was placed on a trailer owned by Wayne Moving. It is probably just a local trailer and would not be sent all the way to your destination. Plus, when the A1 Freeman crew came, they had to check off the shipment and load this into their own trailer that they operate. Agents don't swap trailers, there is considerable investment and they are owned by those agencies.

Could Wayne have been responsible for getting the trailer to me? Is it normal to switch entire loads? As an accountant with 35 years cost accounting experience, I can tell you that that is horribly inefficient - sure the trailers are expensive, and there is a cost associated with tracking where they are, but that's less expensive - railroads and container truckers do it all the time.[/quote]
Carl

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:12 pm

No. Wayne was helping by getting you out of your origin home on time on the load spread. As the origin agent, NAVL would have asked them to do that on their behalf, due to the load date being missed by NAVL dispatch.

Wayne had no responsiblity to get your load to destination. It was all NAVL dispatch.

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Nancy wrote:No. Wayne was helping by getting you out of your origin home on time on the load spread. As the origin agent, NAVL would have asked them to do that on their behalf, due to the load date being missed by NAVL dispatch.

Wayne had no responsiblity to get your load to destination. It was all NAVL dispatch.

So what you're saying is that NAVL dispatch is the "higher authority" that has some control over Freeman AND Wayne?
Carl

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Exactly.

Call NAVL Customer Service to handle your delay claim. I really wouldn't bother trying to figure out why this happened, just deal with the facts of the contract, get your delay and file the claim for damage.

Your contract is with North American. Freeman is the booker and Wayne is the origin agent. They all act on behalf of NAVL, that is who ultimately pays your claim and handles the dispatch.

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Thanks for the comments.
Carl

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Carl,not to pick nits, but in reality, there are far many more good movers than bad...sorry for your bad experience, but it's not an exact science, and if the industry is broken, then the airline industry is also in the same category. While most people might disagree, the only 3 things that determine a good move are on time, on or under budget, and a minimum of damage....if a customer gets those, they got a good move, whether they will agree or acknowledge. sounds like you got 2 out of 3, so it could have been worse.
You are right about the ineffefiency (sp) of transferring loads though....it's pretty dumb. RR and freight lines don't do that, but they also don't have $10,000 worth of pads, dollies, straps and eqpt on a unit either, which they will never see again if it leaves their control. You shipment of 19,000 lbs is the exception to that rule, usually the shipments picked up and held for the over the road truck are much smaller, making the ineffeciency less ineffecient

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:28 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:Carl,not to pick nits, but in reality, there are far many more good movers than bad...sorry for your bad experience, but it's not an exact science, and if the industry is broken, then the airline industry is also in the same category.

Being a frequent flyer, I will not argue that the airlines are broken, too.

What I found very interesting, however, is that North American's rating on epinions was avaeraged at 2 out of 5 stars - but if you look at the ratings, you will see that the vast majority of reviews are either 1 star or 5 stars meaning either they did great, or awful, with no middle ground. In some ways, I believe that this lends credence to my assertion that it's a crapshoot. The list of movers on epinions with good ratings is far, far, shorter than the blacklist on movingscam.com.
Carl

Return to “Open Community”